Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody use a pressure cooker?
Quote | Reply
Thinking about getting one to make quicker braises and other things that take a long time to cook. Would love to hear any feedback on folks that have used one.

Quote | Reply
I have a t-fal electric. Easily the best money I've spent on a kitchen gadget. Great for making soups, beef ribs, chili and almost anything I can conjure up. Making chili, done in less than an hour and it's tastes great. My wife and I weren't beef rib fans until we did them in the PC. From what I understand the key reason that PC's work so well is that they create the complex flavors in a shorter timespan than other cooking techniques.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody use a pressure cooker? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife has a Kuhn Rikon and uses it all the time, also our rice cooker is a pressure cooker. They do what they do...cook faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, I won't do it. Too soon...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife uses a WMF and likes it. It gets used a couple times a week.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody use a pressure cooker? [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
Wife has a Kuhn Rikon and uses it all the time, also our rice cooker is a pressure cooker. They do what they do...cook faster.

My wife uses a small (3.5L or so) Rikon all the time. It's great for stews! Also for beans, lentils, brown rice. I like to use it for ribs before finishing them off in the oven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I uses a Fagor all the time. It makes great chicken broth, risotto and carnetas - not in the same dish...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did. Once.

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Last edited by: hillier99: Jul 31, 17 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am a regular user of on Instant Pot. Super easy to use and I highly recommend. Mainly use it for cooking various beans, but my wife also uses for meats/stews.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our Instant Pot is a big time saver. What takes hours in a slow cooker takes 20 minutes in the Instant Pot. We haven't explored all its uses, but it handles the basics quite well.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the two above me, I have an Instant Pot. I have owned it for about 3 years and use it frequently. I don't try to cook everything in it like some users but it has a welcomed spot in my kitchen. It main uses for me are yogurt, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, carnitas/pulled meats, stews, and soups. It also does a great job with beans.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody use a pressure cooker? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
I uses a Fagor all the time. It makes great chicken broth, risotto and carnetas - not in the same dish...

Ours is also a Fagor. Wife did a fair bit of homework before deciding on that one, and uses it quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody use a pressure cooker? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In particular, she loves it for anything w/ beans like a minestrone or chili, so you can use dry beans (cheaper than cans and less storage space or packaging waste) but don't have to plan ahead to soak overnight, done in about 45min-1hr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Instant Pot family here. It's incredible. Although we haven't quite drank the IP kool aid yet. But have made some intersting stuff in it, cheesecake, lasagne.

Haven't tried carnitas yet but it's on the list to do.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
InstaPot user here too-much faster, and safer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
In particular, she loves it for anything w/ beans like a minestrone or chili, so you can use dry beans (cheaper than cans and less storage space or packaging waste) but don't have to plan ahead to soak overnight, done in about 45min-1hr.

So you're not even doing the quick soak method? I had read that not doing it would give a person gas as the sugars weren't properly broken down otherwise. Love the Boston style bean recipe's we've tried so far. Also have cooked up a couple of different versions of minestrone, while my wife still fears the pressure cooker, she sure seems to like the results!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use mine all the time in the winter...roasts, chicken noodle soup, short ribs, chili, etc. I have an electric one that also steams and does rice. I never use a slow cooker anymore.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply