Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Travel Case: Trico / Triall3 / Crateworks?
Quote | Reply
i've searched recent posts about experience with a bike travel case, but i did not find much feedback on the crateworks cases. the triall3 appears to be the king of all boxes (and costs as much, ~$420). the trico iron case appears like a strong contender (at ~ $280), but i calls for much disassembly of the bike. the crateworks PRO XL-C comes in third on the price scale (at $160), but there hasn't been much discussion on this box. should i consider any others?

any opinions on these boxes, given travel 1-2 times per year at most? if it matters, i ride on bull-horns, steep seat angle, and 650c.

thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Travel Case: Trico / Triall3 / Crateworks? [redlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Trico case and paid $250 for it. Great case and it seems like my bike enjoys an enjoyable flight. The only bad thing about the case is that I have to take the crank off. No big deal, but it's helpful to have the tool around the night before your international flight :) Just for your information, I have a cannondale caad4 with this aero seatpost frame type of thing (whatever you call it). Because of this aero frame extension the bike doesn't fit the box by 1/2cm. I suggest you measure your bike or try the box before buying, just easier this way. Other than that a pretty good box and well worth the money. Had another frame broken (used cardbord box) before and didn't see a f%#$n penny from the airline...

daniel

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Travel Case: Trico / Triall3 / Crateworks? [redlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Red, I recently had to replace my enormous Bike Safe which was broken beyond repair by the baggage handlers in Frankfurt when returning from IM Germany in July and held out for an Elite travel case. The points that sold me were the compact external dimensions, the amount of padding, light weight and that it has recesses on the underside so that it can be mounted on the roof bars on the car.

In the UK we do not UPS bikes ahead but tend to travel on the airlines with them, this then makes it an issue of how much kit and people can be carried in the car, mounting it on the roof is a big help.

To get my 56 cm Kestrel in the case I had to remove the wheels which go in first sandwiched between foam sheets and separated from the frame by a thick "carbon type" plastic sheet. Then the pedals and seat post come off and are arranged inside the frame rear triangle, all that remains is for the stem front plate to be loosened and the bars rotated down. This is then strapped into position and another sheet of foam placed on top prior to shutting the case and padlocking all four edges.

The case is then wheeled along on the wheels on the back edge like any wheeled suitcase.

My coach had a Tri all 3 case delivered to take home when returning from Kona, and having seen the amount of dismantling and squeezing involved in packing a bike that the mechanic in B & L needed to do I think I made the right choice.

Good Luck in your search.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Best Travel Case: Trico / Triall3 / Crateworks? [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triall3 VeloSafe - simply the best. Compact size, holds my 58c P3 with wheels, pump, helmet, wetsuit, and lots of extra odds and ends I can stuff in it. Best aspects: internal fork mount, bottom bracket pad, velcro straps to be used with internal hooks, sturdy shell, on wheels. You can really lock your bike into position in the center of the case and not out towards the edges where the baggage gorillas do the damage when they fling the case around.

Great company too. On my last trip one of the external latches got shredded by the baggage gorillas. I emailed Triall3 Sports and had two replacement latches and extra rivets UPS'd to me straight away - at no cost. And this was with a 2 year old case.

Nothing but kudos for the VeloSafe.

Tinman

tinman
Last edited by: tinman: Jan 6, 04 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: Best Travel Case: Trico / Triall3 / Crateworks? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My choice as well........and it makes a handy pseudo luggage cart when piled high with bags for the trek through the airport.........an aspect much appreciated by traveling companions with other types of cases ;-). Love it!

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Travel Case: Trico / Triall3 / Crateworks? [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and just to give you some feedback re the crateworks box (I think we're talking about the same thing - black corrugated plastic box). Anyways, i originally bought one of those but ended up upgrading to the velosafe because the crateworks box got pretty beat up after 3 trips or so. it'll save you some $$$ in the short run but won't protect your bike as well as the hardshell velosafe and wont last as long.
Quote Reply