Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering what your bike computers said the elevation gain was for each distance? (Not to complain about the wind.) :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!? [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 3,465' with Garmin Edge 520 and a friend had 3,458 with Garmin Edge 1000. Distance short on both with 53.7 and 53.2 respectively. After loading up the gpx course from the IM site I noticed the kml file from the same site matches the course turnaround we rode today while the gpx file shows the turnaround past the next bridge and close to the nasty climb on IM course before Pemeberton. Anyone know if the longer course was ever used for the 70.3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used a Garmin Forerunner 230:

Garmin connect is showing 110.34 miles 5,852 ft gain
Strava is showing 110.2 miles 6,473 ft gain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recorded 3648 feet for the half on my 920xt. 53.8 miles, which I assumed it would be because that was the best bike split course I was modeling on.

And yes, it was windy. Noticed it more on the swim than the bike.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7,687 for the full
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!? [mvermill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting the distance and elevation discrepancies when IM is really good about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5,817 feet for the full from my 520.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!? [mvermill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7688 on my 510 but 6538 on my 920. WYD, they were about a foot apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced the full in 2016 (and 2015, but DNF'd that year due to hypothermia). My 820 had about 6600 feet of gain.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in '13 and '14. Had about 6500' of climbing.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 6,788 feet gain on Edge 510 and 8,209 feet gain on Garmin Fenix 5. They were about 6 inches apart from each other so I have no idea why the discrepancy. All in 2017.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got home from whistler. Internal barometer says there are eleventy-bazillion-fucking-feet of climbing on that course. God damn I've done a lot of these races and have never been more destroyed after a race than the 2x I did Whistler. It isn't just total elevation. It is also the steepness of some of the climbs, the length of those 3 coming back from Pemberton, and the frequency at which the smaller climbs come at us. There's just something eeeeeevil about that course. And yeah I'll be back next year for sure. (WTF is wrong with us?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Just wondering what your bike computers said the elevation gain was for each distance? (Not to complain about the wind.) :)

3789' elevation gain on my 510 for the half. And that swim...are those conditions normal? It really didn't bother me on the bike since we were constantly riding up and down. I was in the BOP of the swim, and wow that got rough, especially after the last turn bouy back to shore. I really want to race the full next year, but not sure I'd want to do two laps of that swim.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!? [cmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting comment on the swim - not sure what happened in the half but in the full the swim this year was the most pleasant IM swim i have ever done (this was #8 for me) (MOP swimmer) - very little contact, clear water, friendly respectful swimmers.
Elevation on the bike for the full is just shy of 2,000 meters - i live and train in the area and have ridden the course many times - depending on the day my garmin usually reads just short of 2,000 meters of climbing. (I think that's about 6,560 feet fer you Americans eh!)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!? [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wind picked up for the 70.3 swim. The last quarter of it was pretty rough
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it's the good kind of evil.

-christine RD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Just got home from whistler. Internal barometer says there are eleventy-bazillion-fucking-feet of climbing on that course. God damn I've done a lot of these races and have never been more destroyed after a race than the 2x I did Whistler. It isn't just total elevation. It is also the steepness of some of the climbs, the length of those 3 coming back from Pemberton, and the frequency at which the smaller climbs come at us. There's just something eeeeeevil about that course. And yeah I'll be back next year for sure. (WTF is wrong with us?)
Yeah. Just think, if they have to change the bike course, it could get more evil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3634 gained for the half...
Hilly son of a gun wasn't it :>)
Comparison on the WTC 70.3's I have done over the years
Honu 2562
Victoria 2919
Silverman 4039
Vineman 2309
St George 3484

Fun day though

Edit to add: Yep that swim was bumpy, then blinding, then slippery, and finished up down right rough.
Good thing I breath Right side.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Last edited by: gymrat: Aug 1, 17 21:22
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!? [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triracerboy wrote:
interesting comment on the swim - not sure what happened in the half but in the full the swim this year was the most pleasant IM swim i have ever done (this was #8 for me) (MOP swimmer) - very little contact, clear water, friendly respectful swimmers.
Elevation on the bike for the full is just shy of 2,000 meters - i live and train in the area and have ridden the course many times - depending on the day my garmin usually reads just short of 2,000 meters of climbing. (I think that's about 6,560 feet fer you Americans eh!)

+1. Also my 8th full and the easiest, most pleasant swim I've had. Almost zero contact. Nice temp. No wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha after only doing whistler before (3x), I did Texas this year and learned that whistler is a f***ing monster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

Truth!
I am sitting here, still in acute recovery mode, after completing my first IM at Whistler last week. I HAD thought that I had left ALL of my stoopid out on the course, but apparently not, as I am considering signing up for 2018 - WTF, indeed :)

Christine - any idea of when the full degree of the eeeeviiiiillll for next year's course will be made available ?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!? [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it even possible to make changes to that course that willn't add more climbing?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada & 70.3 Elevation gain?!? [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Truth!
I am sitting here, still in acute recovery mode, after completing my first IM at Whistler last week. I HAD thought that I had left ALL of my stoopid out on the course, but apparently not, as I am considering signing up for 2018 - WTF, indeed :)

Christine - any idea of when the full degree of the eeeeviiiiillll for next year's course will be made available ?
The stoopid apparently continues. Still training for IMAZ (less than 3 months to taper!). Skipped Monday, only swam Tuesday and Wednesday, swam and ran just 30 minutes Thursday and Friday. Felt great, so went on a 75 mile ride Saturday, and then attempted a long run on Sunday. Well. That was stupid because I felt sooooooo tired after about 40 minutes. Managed to run only 60 minutes. Started feeling better near the end actually. Weird how that happens. But cut it after 60 anyway. Aaaaand then spent the next 36 hours profoundly fatigued and eating nonstop. I think I'll explode.
Quote Reply