Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
It seems that one might not have the best negotiating position- if your employer is making the same demands of you, as a typical parole officer.

The obvious difference being you can always refuse your employer's "demand" without any fear of being incarcerated. Then there is the fact that you get to choose whether to subject yourself to a drug test by an employer, whereas you do not have any say when it comes to the parole officer.

But, other than those minor little details, spot on analogy, kiddo!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

It seems that one might not have the best negotiating position- if your employer is making the same demands of you, as a typical parole officer.

The obvious difference being you can always refuse your employer's "demand" without any fear of being incarcerated. Then there is the fact that you get to choose whether to subject yourself to a drug test by an employer, whereas you do not have any say when it comes to the parole officer.

Yes - a person with a good negotiating position in life (in general) can say "no" to a drug test. A person with a good negotiating position versus a specific employer can also say "no."

Furthermore, an employer without a good negotiating position versus a specific employee, might decline to try to impose such a condition.

Lastly, I would guess that most competent people (who use drugs) can figure out a way to get around this problem.

It seems self evident to me that a person who has little negotiating power with their employer and who cannot get around this type of bureaucratic road block - is not upper middle or upper class.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Aug 1, 17 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
eb wrote:
madcap95 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
Drug testing seems like a class thing.

Upper middle class and upper class people are not drug tested.

Lower middle class, working class and poor ARE.

Bull fucking shit. I've been tested at almost every job I've ever had.

Agreed, I've worked at 6 companies in the 20 years that I've been out of college. All but one tested upon hiring, and 3 of them had random tests during my tenure there as well.

No dog in this fight ... but I've been in the workforce for about 40 years for a variety of private, academic, and government employers, and I have never been tested. Not once.

Well, I'll balance it out for you. I've never touched an illegal narcotic and never been under suspicion, but I have been tested well over 20 times in my professional life.

If you think we've never suspected you, you must be high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
eb wrote:
madcap95 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
Drug testing seems like a class thing.

Upper middle class and upper class people are not drug tested.

Lower middle class, working class and poor ARE.

Bull fucking shit. I've been tested at almost every job I've ever had.

Agreed, I've worked at 6 companies in the 20 years that I've been out of college. All but one tested upon hiring, and 3 of them had random tests during my tenure there as well.

No dog in this fight ... but I've been in the workforce for about 40 years for a variety of private, academic, and government employers, and I have never been tested. Not once.

Well, I'll balance it out for you. I've never touched an illegal narcotic and never been under suspicion, but I have been tested well over 20 times in my professional life.

I'm surprised, but shouldn't be. I haven't had a drug test since I was a 16 year old bagger at a grocery store :D
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The next time I am having labor issues with unruly employees I will hire JSA.

I don't care if he is high. I wouldn't hire him if I thought it would affect his work.
Also I would fear that JSA would think I was insulting him by making the request in the first place.

That said, I would absolutely request that Windywave undergo drug testing before I would hire him.

Now ..... if they offer me the position as CEO of GE or Boeing - I think I will submit to a drug test in good faith.
Best to show the little people "that I am a team player."
Of course, if the test was likely to be a problem.... I am sure I could find a guy to help
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Aug 1, 17 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Yes - a person with a good negotiating position in life (in general) can say "no" to a drug test. A person with a good negotiating position versus a specific employer can also say "no."

Furthermore, an employer without a good negotiating position versus a specific employee, might decline to try to impose such a condition.

If the employer has any federal contracts (and you would be surprised how many companies do), the employer has no choice and is required to test everyone.

Velocibuddha wrote:
Lastly, I would guess that most competent people (who use drugs) can figure out a way to get around this problem.
Given how many competent people who use drugs get popped, I'm guessing it isn't that simple.

Velocibuddha wrote:
It seems self evident to me that a person who has little negotiating power with their employer and who cannot get around this type of bureaucratic road block - is not upper middle or upper class.

How, exactly, does it seem "self-evident" to you? The CEO of GE got tested upon hire and is subject to random drug testing. When I was in the Gulf, General Tommy Franks was tested. Those two individuals a very, very, very upper class.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

It would be very wise for you to do so.

Velocibuddha wrote:
I don't care if he is high. I wouldn't hire him if I thought it would affect his work.
Not sure how those two sentences go together ...

Velocibuddha wrote:
Also I would fear that JSA would think I was insulting him by making the request in the first place.
Why? I have plenty of urine for you to test. If I run out, I promise I will make more.

Velocibuddha wrote:
That said, I would absolutely request that Windywave undergo drug testing before I would hire him.
So would I. He's from Chicago and carried on a long-term relationship with Jay Cutler. Plus, windy's established probable cause with some of his bat shit crazy posts.

Velocibuddha wrote:
Now ..... if they offer me the position as CEO of GE or Boeing - I think I will submit to a drug test in good faith.
It wouldn't be "good faith." It would be mandated by federal law.

Velocibuddha wrote:
Adhering to federal law does not make one a "team player."

Velocibuddha wrote:
Of course, if the test was likely to be a problem.... I am sure I could find a guy to help

Just don't ask windywave.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This notion that if you have a federal contract you are required to test every employee....what FAR are you basing that on? I've been an employee with 4 different federal contractors since 2007 and have not once been drug tested, nor do I know of anyone who has.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
This notion that if you have a federal contract you are required to test every employee....what FAR are you basing that on? I've been an employee with 4 different federal contractors since 2007 and have not once been drug tested, nor do I know of anyone who has.

I'm over-generalizing. The federal drug free workplace act requires all employees to be "subject to" drug testing. In addition, certain federal contracts require drug testing for all new hires and those in certain positions. In 2010, the DOL quit funding the DOL administered drug testing. Now federal contractors are required to perform testing on their own and are subject to periodic audits.

Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
Yeah the losers are an unfortunate byproduct but hopefully with Nation wide legalization that will take care of itself, in the mean time all I can say is they are less than 1% of those who use, as I keep saying it''s already a multi multi billion dollar industry, everyone from the business man to the sweet little old lady down the street, fact is it's everywhere, you will talk to someone who uses almost daily and you won't know it .

Not in windywave's world... He insists he doesn't know any high-functioning tokers, so they must not exist; all he sees are the burnouts like Jim from Taxi, so there you have it. He and Sessions clearly know Reefer = Madness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
50+ wrote:

There is no blood test right now that I know of that can determine if someone is under the influence at the time of the test. A cancer patient offered herself for testing, she was using heavy doses of marijuana and tested in the morning having not used in 12 hours, she tested over the 5 nanogram limit the police use to determine if someone is driving high and she was completely straight. As for the rest I get it I just don't agree with it, hopefully some day saner heads will prevail and the Government will change the laws until then we will keep fighting the fight. If it's legal companies should not be testing for it!

By whose measure was she "completely straight?" We have countless examples of individuals with a higher than 0.08 BAC who are able to function without any noticeable impairment, but they are still legally determined to be "under the influence" because they are above the legal limit.

But, you do identify the issue I mentioned earlier in the thread - the lack of an impairment standard for marijuana.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread - when the BAC standards were set, they were done so based on numerous studies of thousands of people, using federal funds. Thousands of individuals were given driving and other reactionary tests after consuming increasing amounts of alcohol. Not everyone reacted the same. But, a composite was taken of all the test subjects and their levels of impairment to create a BAC standard.

There are two primary problems with marijuana testing. First, there are no funds to conduct similar tests. Marijuana is still illegal, so there will be no federal funds. States like CO have conducted small scale tests (that's where the 5 ng figure comes from), but those are questionable, given their limited size. Second, alcohol affects everyone in a similar fashion whereas marijuana's effects can be all over the board. So, it is difficult to set a standard scale that can be applicable to everyone.

All that said - for the most part, I think you and I are on the same page. If I were emperor, I would legalize marijuana at the federal level. Then I would conduct studies like those for BAC testing to create a rational, usable measure, understanding it may not be perfect, but it would be something that would make sense.

This is a tough one for me I started smoking the stuff back in the 70's and still do on occasion and while I've seen my share of burn outs with the vast majority of them there were also other issues be it either mental or other addiction issues, as with myself everyone I know who was a normal functioning person could smoke their my brains out and still function and yes that includes driving, so it's tough for me to say we need some kind of standard but I guess if we want all out legalization we have to have some kind testing and standards, but 5 nanograms is way unrealistic.
Last edited by: 50+: Aug 1, 17 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
This is a tough one for me I started smoking the stuff back in the 70's and still do on occasion and while I've seen my share of burn outs with the vast majority of them there were also other issues be it either mental or other addiction issues, as with myself everyone I know who was a normal functioning person could smoke their my brains out and still function and yes that includes driving, so it's tough for me to say we need some kind of standard but I guess if we want all out legalization we have to have some kind testing and standards, but 5 nanograms is way unrealistic.

Well, keep in mind that any impaired driving is prohibited. Doesn't matter whether it is due to alcohol, marijuana, Rx drugs, etc. There are no standards for, say, operating under the influence of Rx pain killers. But, if an officer observes you driving in an erratic manner, the officer has the right to pull you over. In most states, the officer has the right to take you in for testing if the officer observes erratic driving. At that point, you can be tested and the presence of any amount of substance combined with the observation of the officer is enough to book you for operating under the influence. So, if we use that standard, there isn't much of an issue b/c that's how it is done now. Where we would have a potential issue is a checkpoint situation where there is no observed impairment, but a test show the presence of THC.

I dunno. Everything I have seen and read shows how much more problematic alcohol is than maryjane so the continued outlawing of weed makes little sense to me.

Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
50+ wrote:
Yeah the losers are an unfortunate byproduct but hopefully with Nation wide legalization that will take care of itself, in the mean time all I can say is they are less than 1% of those who use, as I keep saying it''s already a multi multi billion dollar industry, everyone from the business man to the sweet little old lady down the street, fact is it's everywhere, you will talk to someone who uses almost daily and you won't know it .

Not in windywave's world... He insists he doesn't know any high-functioning tokers, so they must not exist; all he sees are the burnouts like Jim from Taxi, so there you have it. He and Sessions clearly know Reefer = Madness.

Disparaging me personally doesn't negate my observations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

A) why?
B) I'd pass
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

It would be very wise for you to do so.

Velocibuddha wrote:

Not sure how those two sentences go together ...

Velocibuddha wrote:

Why? I have plenty of urine for you to test. If I run out, I promise I will make more.

Velocibuddha wrote:

So would I. He's from Chicago and carried on a long-term relationship with Jay Cutler. Plus, windy's established probable cause with some of his bat shit crazy posts.

Velocibuddha wrote:

It wouldn't be "good faith." It would be mandated by federal law.

Velocibuddha wrote:

Adhering to federal law does not make one a "team player."

Velocibuddha wrote:

Just don't ask windywave.

What crazy posts?

ETA AA Ron find a new boyfriend or you guys planning to miss the playoffs again?
Last edited by: windywave: Aug 1, 17 19:15
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that one is either crazy or ignorant (or both).

The New England Patriots and the Green Bay Packers hold the longest active consecutive playoff streak with 8 appearances, starting with the 2009–10 NFL playoffs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

The New England Patriots and the Green Bay Packers hold the longest active consecutive playoff streak with 8 appearances, starting with the 2009–10 NFL playoffs.

Success .... Not a Cutler gif to be seen
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

len wrote:
I don't know what to say other than sad. Sorry forgot the link http://www.cnn.com/...ner-cnntv/index.html

It is sad that a business would waste money on drug testing all the employees without cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:

Success .... Not a Cutler gif to be seen

Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:

len wrote:
I don't know what to say other than sad. Sorry forgot the link http://www.cnn.com/...ner-cnntv/index.html

It is sad that a business would waste money on drug testing all the employees without cause.
^^This^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't pre-employment drug screens part of the most hiring company's insurance policy requirements or at a minimum result in discounts?

Most large companies and many smaller companies that have dangerous or high liability employment have wisely chosen to implement a screening process pre-employment and random screening.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Aug 2, 17 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Ohio factory owner says 12000 skilled jobs open in her county but tough to fill because too many positive drug tests [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Aren't pre-employment drug screens part of the most hiring company's insurance policy requirements or at a minimum result in discounts?

Yes.

This was one of the primary reasons the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) was enacted. Companies and their insurance carriers were conducting pre-employment testing for drugs/alcohol. That then expanded to genetic screening for possible genetic predispositions for certain expensive health conditions. So, Congress enacted legislation prohibiting hiring and insurance decision based on merely genetic predispositions.

Quote Reply

Prev Next