Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Amazon Preparing to Push into Health Care?
Quote | Reply
I can't wait for the day when Amazon Prime members receive 40% off on liver transplants. ;-)

Actually, as the article notes, what else is there left for the company to try, really? At least, on this plane of existence. LOL!

"CNBC says that the company has set up a team called, cryptically, 1492 that is researching hardware and software projects relating to health care. High on the list of the topics it’s investigating, says the report, are digital medical records, online doctor appointments, and health-related services for its own hardware, including its Echo smart speakers.

It’s not particularly surprising that it wants to muscle in on the industry, which is ripe for innovation, given that other tech giants have already made similar intentions clear. Google makes no secret of the fact that it wants to shake up the sector, with its spinout Verily Life Sciences building health-tracking hardware and launching large-scale medical studies. Apple, too, has been trying to get folks to use its hardware to track health-related data, and behind-the-scenes discussions with the FDA hint that it has grander plans to come."

Amazon May Be the Next Tech Giant Muscling Into Health Care - MIT Technology Review

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon Preparing to Push into Health Care? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Medical records and online appointments?

They should buy EPIC- not sure what it's like on the Doctor side but on the patients side: appointments, billing, and test results are all on the "MyChart app" app on my phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually a big part of their business is Amazon Web Services, which has little to do with their retail business.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon Preparing to Push into Health Care? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still not a fan of electronic records. You're just one asshat using password123456 from an entire medical system being hacked
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon Preparing to Push into Health Care? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mossy doctors I know hate epic. Cumbersome and slow. There are better record systems out there.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
I can't wait for the day when Amazon Prime members receive 40% off on liver transplants. ;-)

Actually, as the article notes, what else is there left for the company to try, really? At least, on this plane of existence. LOL!

"CNBC says that the company has set up a team called, cryptically, 1492 that is researching hardware and software projects relating to health care. High on the list of the topics it’s investigating, says the report, are digital medical records, online doctor appointments, and health-related services for its own hardware, including its Echo smart speakers.

It’s not particularly surprising that it wants to muscle in on the industry, which is ripe for innovation, given that other tech giants have already made similar intentions clear. Google makes no secret of the fact that it wants to shake up the sector, with its spinout Verily Life Sciences building health-tracking hardware and launching large-scale medical studies. Apple, too, has been trying to get folks to use its hardware to track health-related data, and behind-the-scenes discussions with the FDA hint that it has grander plans to come."

Amazon May Be the Next Tech Giant Muscling Into Health Care - MIT Technology Review

And if you live in the right area, you can get it in 2 hours or less if you have prime, or pay a small premium extra and get it in an hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon Preparing to Push into Health Care? [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

And if you live in the right area, you can get it in 2 hours or less if you have prime, or pay a small premium extra and get it in an hour.

Not surprising... ROI is great.

I guess they will offer 24hrs Pharmacy services (painkillers etc.) first.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon Preparing to Push into Health Care? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one else seeing an issue with Amazon having your health records?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon has, for all intents and purposes, two divisions:

-AWS
-Mail Order Retail

The former division has an obvious place in healthcare by providing cloud services. I'd imagine AWS already has a sizable footprint in healthcare. I don't see Amazon developing software specifically for the medical industry. That just seems like a great way to bang your head against the wall.

Their mail order retail division has a pretty clear model: take stuff in warehouses, sell it to you, mail it to you, and then hopefully you do it enough you become a (Prime) subscriber. If Amazon were to start filling prescriptions, that would be one more thing they could ship to you and, if the prescription is something you take regularly (insulin, heart meds, etc.) that would be one more way to ensure that you stay a subscriber and thus stay in the Amazon ecosystem.

I'd imagine Amazon's next acquisition will be a prescription benefits manager.
Quote Reply