justgeorge wrote:
spudone wrote:
justgeorge wrote:
spudone wrote:
justgeorge wrote:
trail wrote:
justgeorge wrote:
Gonna need a little more context.

Is Trump going to sign the Russia sanction bill that Congress just dumped on his desk, I think.
Ah, thanks. There is a third choice, let it sit for however many days it takes for it to pass without his signature.
Unless Congress is adjourned, in which case it becomes a pocket veto. Not saying they'd do it, but Congress could close shop just to force Trump to sign the thing or look really bad.

If he does nothing for 10 days then it becomes law which would allow him to avoid the humiliation of his veto being overridden, and also let him tell the Russians "hey I didn't sign the thing there's nothing I can do".
Go read article 1, section 7 with an eye for detail.

Read this and tell me what is innacurate about what I said.
https://www.senate.gov/...term/pocket_veto.htm
You're either not seeing the special case about when Congress is adjourned (which was clearly in my first reply) or you're just ignoring it to continue arguing on the internet. Congrats.

I never disagreed with you. Post #5 I said he could let it sit until it becomes law without his signature. Everything else I posted was in support of that statement.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Sign or Veto? [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shithead intends to sign per reporting tonite.
Quote Reply
Re: Sign or Veto? [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Shithead intends to sign per reporting tonite.

Have some fucking respect.....

Thats "President Shithead"!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Sign or Veto? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
""In its haste to pass this legislation, the Congress included a number of clearly unconstitutional provisions," Trump said in a formal statement after signing the bill, the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act."

What was that in the oath about preserving, protecting, and defending the Constitution?

I guess signing an unconstitutional law without protest is preferable to the ego blow of a veto override.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next