Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Study: Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer
Quote | Reply
My wife is going to live forever, then: ;-)

"Being a little high-strung might pay off ― at least when it comes to managing your health.

Neuroticism, the trait associated with having excessive anxiety, guilt and nervousness, may lower a person’s risk of dying early, according to a new study.

The research, published in the journal Psychological Science, found that those who score high for the personality type had a slightly reduced risk (about 8 percent) of death from all causes, especially cancer and cardiovascular disease, compared to those who had lower levels of the characteristic.

Researchers examined data from more than 300,000 people in the United Kingdom from ages 37 to 73. Participants took a personality test, which measured their levels of neuroticism, as well as answered questions about their lifestyle habits and health metrics, like body-mass index and blood pressure. They were also asked to rate how healthy they felt. The study volunteers were monitored for approximately six years."

Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it that they physically live longer or that they figuratively live forever in the way that they emotionally and mentally torment their survivors so they can never be forgotten, with subsequent generations feeling the sting in an epigenetic fashion?
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Is it that they physically live longer or that they figuratively live forever in the way that they emotionally and mentally torment their survivors so they can never be forgotten, with subsequent generations feeling the sting in an epigenetic fashion?

Yes. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Study: Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but it sucks. It's not a fun life.
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

Karma's a bitch, ain't it? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Study: Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll reincarnate more comfortably next time, buddy!

Tibbsy wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
You'll reincarnate more comfortably next time, buddy!

Tibbsy wrote:

Mister Tibbs is about the least neurotic individual I've ever run across. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a character in the novel Catch 22 that is trying to make his life miserable. The character believes that when he is miserable time seems to draw on forever.

A second character asks:
"Well, what is the point in living forever if you are going to be miserable the whole time?"
The misery seeker responds:
"Well, what else is there?"
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
There is a character in the novel Catch 22 that is trying to make his life miserable. The character believes that when he is miserable time seems to draw on forever.

A second character asks:
"Well, what is the point in living forever if you are going to be miserable the whole time?"

I loved that novel back when I was in high school, when I first read it. Then, being in the military for oh-so-many years, I actually got to experience Catch 22. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Study: Being Neurotic Might Help You Live Longer [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have that book on my desk right now in a giant pile of books to read. It ought to be consumed by me sometime within the next 8 weeks, but now I might just have to move it a little higher in the pile.

Velocibuddha wrote:

A second character asks:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

A second character asks:

I think he wanted to make his life as boring as possible (rather than miserable) to make his life feel longer.

Best book ever.
Quote Reply