Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
You need to marry someone who's hot to you; likes to fuck you as much as you like to fuck her; seems smart and funny to you; is forgiving of your faults and has faults that you can forgive; and who agrees with you and with whom you agree on major issues like money management, how to raise kids, where to live, and who is going to make the money. It'd be nice if you shared some interests too, but if not you need to be able to support hers and she yours.

All that's not easy to accomplish. But if you do it's fricking awesome!

Does your mutual interest involve riding unicorns along the beach?

Ha, yep. That was kinda my point. It's about that hard to find and I think most people don't.

The problem is most people suck, whether they are married or single. Put two sucky people together and no one has fun.

Marriage is easy. Only two things to worry about. First, pick the right person. Second, don't be a dick.

A lot of people aren't able to pick the right person because they aren't worthy of the right person. If you can't get the right one, stay single, any marriage will end up sucking.

We have been together 30 years. Life is good. Any disagreements we have ever had have been because I was being a dick.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG, "don't be a dick" is a tenant of our relationship. It's really all you need. That, and be nicer to your spouse than you are to your best friend. Ok, and never say no to sex.
Quote Reply
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really is. And the tendency is to be more of a dick to your spouse than anyone else.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
Are simply weak, emotionally defective people, that can't survive on their own. Marriage and relationships are some kind of crutch. These people might complain about things. But the moment the relationship ends, they immediately start anew- in an equally fvcked up relationship.

On the other hand...... a lot of single people do seem to become "extremely odd" in the end.

So.....
What is the answer?

For men, stay single until aged 40, then get married.

No one knows what do do with women.

Eh.. they would if they just read the manual.

Where's the rest? Table of contents isn't going to get him very far.
Quote Reply
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are all broken people. Marriage can be great because it gives companionship and support. When I'm not firing on all cylinders my wife tends to pick the slack and vise versa. That is the point. Nothing wrong with having a support system. I wouldn't call it a crutch necessarily. A life hack is a good term. Recently I read about people who are committed to being single having "life hacks" helping them do it. It is a crutch if you deal with your insecurities by marrying a trophy spouse thinking that is going to make everything great. I don't know too many people really well who have gone through divorce but those that I do, are far from ambivalent about it. And these are resilient people.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
It really is. And the tendency is to be more of a dick to your spouse than anyone else.

Yep. People take their spouse for granted and treat him or her like shit because he/she can't get away. It's crazy when you think about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*clap clap* You made me spill my coffee on my keyboard.

To the OP, I do have a jaded view of marriage but not of relationships. I think marriage is becoming a distraction, I see couples (to be fair, I also see single people like that) busy with paying bills, renovations, keeping up with the jones, and wondered if they are still happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Dirty Bottles wrote:
This thread reminded me of this clip from Dr Jordan Peterson (The shackles of marriage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAE3JbwIAHs

That sounded like a joke at the start.
But no.
That was rather deep.

So ......You needs to shackle yourself to a damaged person.... so that the damaged person can show you how damage you are....and force you to fix yourself..... and in exchange the other damaged person will fix themselves.
Sounds positive and plausible.

That would also explains why perpetually single people seem to become progressively stranger, and stranger.
No one forcing them to reevaluate themselves:

But I am still unsure.

This doesn't jibe, however, with the observation that many people seem to do the opposite.
Many married people think:
"This person has to accept me anyway .... so why change?"
Or
"I am awesome the fact that XXX likes me proves it."

I think we're all damaged in some way, so yeah marriage means shackling yourself to damaged person. I think too many folks don't know how or aren't willing to be truly honest with their spouses, so as he says in the clip - things get left unsaid and if things are left unsaid both parties can pretend they don't exist. Which in turn leads to misery (how much misery depends on nature of what is left unsaid).

Someone else mentioned Peterson's take was "depressing" - which is interesting because I found it helpful and encouraging in some ways. But that clip is from a ~2 hour lecture on psychological meaning of Adam and Eve story so having the full context of what he's talking about helps I think.

One of the wisest things I heard on marriage and relationships in general - become the person you want your spouse (friend, brother, etc) to be. Its sooo easy to say "if only my wife were more <fill in the blank> then i'd be happy. But if instead you looked at yourself and YOU become more <fill in the blank> things would improve greatly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
OMG, "don't be a dick" is a tenant of our relationship. It's really all you need. That, and be nicer to your spouse than you are to your best friend. Ok, and never say no to sex.

Agree with all of this except your wife should be your best friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He says why shackle yourself to someone but then says when you look at the alternatives it isn't so bad. He also says people that live together before they get married have higher divorce rates than those that don't. He is basically saying you have to go into the marriage with a clear head about the whole thing. It's a long way of saying "don't be a dick". I didn't find it depressing.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Love and Marriage- Weakness or Something Else? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Read somewhere that it was estimated that only one third of marriages where genuinely happy.

Sounds about right.

Even then, there's only one way a marriage can end - badly. 100% of marriages end either in divorce or death.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"don't be a dick" is the basis for nearly everything in life.

Want a successful marriage? "don't be a dick"
Success in business? "don't be a dick"
Good parent? "don't be a dick"
Don't want to get arrested? "don't be a dick"

Prev Next