Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Paying for a Car with Cash
Quote | Reply

Is it correct to assume that a personal check will be sufficient and the dealer will be able to process the transaction while I'm there? I don't want to carry that much cash or be impeded from negotiation with a pre-approved check. I guess I could negotiate and go get a check while they are finalizing the paperwork but I don't trust the fu(ker$ at the dealership not to throw in a hidden fee while I'm gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Paying for a Car with Cash [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

They do hesitate a bit with a personal check, you might ask ahead of time. They will likely call your bank to verify.

One other option is to get a Cashiers check for your hoped for price and then get cash for the remainder of what you are willing to pay. I bought a boat on Saturday and was going to have the wife get the Cashiers check for what I wanted to pay then get cash up to the amount I was willing to pay. We ended up negotiating while she was on her way to the bank so just did the whole thing with the check.

I did pay cash for her convertible. It was out of state and I wanted to negotiate, didn't know the guys name. Felt a bit weird driving around with $10k cash on me, probably won't do that again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I sold cars, shit job, we would just let you leave with the car and I would run the check to the bank and get it confirmed there. It all depends on the dealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personal check has always worked for me. your check will be long cleared before you get actual title of the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:

Is it correct to assume that a personal check will be sufficient and the dealer will be able to process the transaction while I'm there? I don't want to carry that much cash or be impeded from negotiation with a pre-approved check. I guess I could negotiate and go get a check while they are finalizing the paperwork but I don't trust the fu(ker$ at the dealership not to throw in a hidden fee while I'm gone.

I've paid by check a couple times without problem. But I like the cashier's check cash combo idea.

If you go all cash just don't piss off a cop on the way there and get it seized. :)

In 2007 I was flying to Boston to buy a used motorcycle. I screwed up when I bought the ticket and bought it for the day before. So I had to buy a new ticket on the spot, flying one way with no checked bags, carrying around $10k in cash. I was half expecting to get pulled aside when I got off the plane and have an uncomfortable conversation.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need a cashiers check from the bank.
Quote Reply
Re: Paying for a Car with Cash [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a large Vietnamese population here in Dallas and they are all cash all the time. A family would come in and grandma would reach into her purse and count out twenty grand. It was always very impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did check at a Mazda dealer. Check was from the credit union across the street so they had no issues.

A few years ago, my father in law went to buy a truck and showed up with $12k-$15k in cash. I guess everyone was perplexed except him. They made him go get a cashiers check. He hates banks and always thinks big brother is watching him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably depends on the dealer. I bought a car through CarMax and paid with a check. They wanted to access the bank account to confirm that the funds were there. We jointly called the bank, they confirmed the balance, and that was it.

The simple answer to your question is to call the dealer and ask what their policy is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy's boss at his company (an owner) bought a car with a corporate credit card. Then paid off the card immediately (to get the points...that is a lot of points).

Me on the other hand, the dealer I bought my current car had issue with me wanting to put my down payment on a credit card...it was only $5k and they only allowed $3k max. I wanted my points (would gotten a huge mileage bonus with this card purchase).

Just write a check or offer a wire transfer even (there is a fee but so does a certified or cashiers check).
Quote Reply
Re: Paying for a Car with Cash [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
My buddy's boss at his company (an owner) bought a car with a corporate credit card. Then paid off the card immediately (to get the points...that is a lot of points).

That's what I did with the ex wife's engagement ring. She still has the ring, but, hey, I got the jet ski!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Paying for a Car with Cash [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
loxx0050 wrote:

That's what I did with the ex wife's engagement ring. She still has the ring, but, hey, I got the jet ski!!!

I did that as well but didn't tell the dealer I was paying with CC until the last minute. He asked how I wanted to pay, I whipped out the CC and actually saw him cringe. "We usually only accept down payments up to $5k on cards...". I told him I lived three hours away, that's all I had, they were closing in an hour and I wouldn't be coming back if he said no.

Points paid for the better part of a Mexican vacation!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about financing it, then paying it off right away. That way the dealership thinks it's going to make some money on you on the financing and might take a lower price?

I used a check for my car though. They didn't even blink.
Quote Reply
Re: Paying for a Car with Cash [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have paid for most of my cars with checks. However, typically there is some banking discount they will give you if you sign up to finance the cars (at least partially).

I assume that dealerships/car companies are partnered with the banks and they figure you wont pay off a loan completely once it is on the books. So I typically pay whatever they will let me with cash, finance the rest, pay the loan off the next day.

One time a dealership let me put like 5g on a credit card without extra fees, so I did that as well for the points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to buy a car soon and will be paying up front but never thought about how, I haven't used a check in years.

I'll probably just go get a cashier's check but haven't asked at the Dealership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have always written a check. If they are truly concerned they can call the bank to ensure the funds are in the account.

Harry wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a car with a check last year. By the time the deal was finished, the banks were closed. AND I had just moved so it was an out of state check. They had me pull up my account on my phone to show them I had the funds in my account. and then let me drive away in my new car!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a new VW golf last week with cash. They only accepted a bank transfer/certified cheque. I was able to put $2500 on my CC for the points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you hand over the check ask about the best financing rate offers. I say that because the F&I guy wants you to finance and he/she may have something to offer as low as 0.9%.
Quote Reply
Re: Paying for a Car with Cash [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife just got a zero percent 63 month loan from Subaru two weeks ago. Why pay it off now instead of one five years if they don't charge you interest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always worked for me. As others have mentioned, it is quite likely they will call your bank or "scan" your check to verify funds, but then you should be good to go.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought a car 2 nights ago and used a personal check. Dealer had a way to verify funds - I think it's called Telecheck or something similar.
Quote Reply