Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you give him money, you deserve to be broke
Quote | Reply
This must be seen to be appreciated. Jim Bakker is back baby, and he is helping you through the end times.

I'm just unclear on why it needs a 30 year shelf life if the end times are near.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3P051LAWYg

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: If you give him money, you deserve to be broke [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All those dead BeeGees must be rolling in their graves. Jesus that was awful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I'm just unclear on why it needs a 30 year shelf life if the end times are near.

Given the end times have been just around the corner for about 2000 years now, it's best to hedge your bets.
Quote Reply
Re: If you give him money, you deserve to be broke [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
All those dead BeeGees must be rolling in their graves. Jesus that was awful.

I'm not sure which version I like better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't watch but 20 seconds or so. Did he mention climate change as the most important issue of the day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought your post would be about this crazy-eyed charlatan, and in a way I guess it is, he's just the next gen of the Bakker types.

Quote Reply
Re: If you give him money, you deserve to be broke [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
Thought your post would be about this crazy-eyed charlatan, and in a way I guess it is, he's just the next gen of the Bakker types.

One of my son's friend's mom has started posting stuff by him on Facebook. Can't look at her the same ever again. As long as there are people to conned, there will always be a new crop of Elmer Gantrys.

Having said that, I've not seen Olstein (sp?) be the obvious shill that the others are, but then again it's not like I watch him.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Jul 27, 17 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: If you give him money, you deserve to be broke [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
I didn't watch but 20 seconds or so. Did he mention climate change as the most important issue of the day?

Dude, then you missed the best part. You are of the right age, you can really appreciate the amazing musical tribute.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

Dude, then you missed the best part. You are of the right age, you can really appreciate the amazing musical tribute.

If it's not a duet with Tammy Faye, then I ain't got the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
wimsey wrote:

One of my son's friend's mom has started posting stuff by him on Facebook. Can't look at her the same ever again. As long as there are people to conned, there will always be a new crop of Elmer Gantrys.

Having said that, I've not seen Olstein (sp?) be the obvious shill that the others are, but then again it's not like I watch him.

I catch a few minutes of him on late-night cable sometimes when I can't sleep. True, I haven't seen him shill for the BeeGees and whatnot yet, but give him time...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
This must be seen to be appreciated. Jim Bakker is back baby, and he is helping you through the end times.

Will it be Sweet Meteor of Death? Because that's what I'm personally hoping for. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: If you give him money, you deserve to be broke [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
wimsey wrote:

I catch a few minutes of him on late-night cable sometimes when I can't sleep. True, I haven't seen him shill for the BeeGees and whatnot yet, but give him time...

From what I've seen of him he basically offers up a bubble gum version of Christianity, be a nice good person and God will reward you with success and wealth. Which obviously resonates in today's culture. What it has to do with Jesus I don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Who goes to youtube and searches for "Right Wing Watch", or are you on the mailing list?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I would rather die in the apocalypse than be stuck with these nut jobs.

This is just a rehash of his earlier snake oils.
Back then (2012) the stuff was so bad it came with an enema.
ā€œHe appears to have no shame. Heā€™s milking his worshippers for ā€˜end of the worldā€™ products and enemas too, which is bizarre!ā€
For $1,700, plus $100 shipping, the holy huckster is offering a folding generator that operates on a solar panel. You can also purchase an emergency food kit costing $2,000, plus $750 shipping.
Bakkerā€™s promotion makes it sound as if he is doing a public service, preparing his flock for the end times. But the religious relic is also sticking it to customers ā€“ by selling enemas as part of the $100 ā€œSilver Solution Total Body Cleanse Kit.ā€

He looks quite a bit different from when I last remember him back in the Tammy Faye days. When he was accused of raping his secretary Jessica Hahn.

Jessica Hahn:

Last edited by: getcereal: Jul 27, 17 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
wimsey wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
wimsey wrote:

From what I've seen of him he basically offers up a bubble gum version of Christianity, be a nice good person and God will reward you with success and wealth. Which obviously resonates in today's culture. What it has to do with Jesus I don't know.

It's Christianity Lite, which is what people want from their religion these days. Not much in the way of guilt trips (which is good, I guess) or serious study of dogma and canon, and heavy on the no-sweat redemption aspects.

Say what you want about Islam -- and I say a lot about it -- but one thing their proselytizers get that Christians don't is that many people want the blood-and-guts-and-immortal-glory-is-yours-if-you-follow-the-one-true-path stuff. And boy, is Islam filled with that.

Gentlemen like Bakker (to a lesser extent, because he's still pulling the old end-of-days shtick) and Osteen are more interested in making Christianity pay off for them in fiscally interesting ways, it seems to me. The truly committed in any religion aren't all that tied up in the material aspects but, rather, in the more long-lasting things, such as immortality in heaven or martyrdom and an honored place in the afterlife, complete with many vestal virgins.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Best part: "when I was in prison, God came to me"

Or: "he told me you've got to do food"

How is that even legal?
Quote Reply
Re: If you give him money, you deserve to be broke [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Who goes to youtube and searches for "Right Wing Watch", or are you on the mailing list?

Apparently wherever I got the link from.

Can you not appreciate a good disco throw back? Has humor left your body? Or did you order the big bucket of food and you don't like being mocked?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Jim Bakker is on during my lunch break, occasionally I'll watch it for a few minutes of comedy-- he's been selling that freeze dried food for at least 5 years as Obama was some kind of sign of the devil and the end times. He currently records his show near Branson where he has a real estate development that sells condos and houses (not sure how he was able to get back into real estate development after the Heritage USA crap).

He thinks Trumps election is a miracle- and anyone opposed is aligned with the devil - just search for videos with the words "Trump Jim Bakker" and you'll get some amazing stuff

There must be an audience for this,,,,,, although if you think Bakker is nuts, his guests who are typically other evangelical preachers trying to break into the big time and are even nuttier- they often are selling a book on their prophecies (which are usually based on some contrived coincidences with some Old Testament story)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Apparently wherever I got the link from.

Can you not appreciate a good disco throw back? Has humor left your body? Or did you order the big bucket of food and you don't like being mocked?

You're gonna be begging for my big buckets of food when da devil takes over the world. Good thing I also bought the holy AR15 ammo to fend off you sinful beggars!
Quote Reply
Re: If you give him money, you deserve to be broke [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that he doesn't actually own any of that. As I recall (which could be wrong or slightly off), some wealthy benefactor owns the real estate side of the house, lets him use it for his "ministry," and he owns the bucketed lips & assholes of the apocalypse business, which should last you for many years...that is, if it doesn't kill you in weeks.

ChiTownJack wrote:
He currently records his show near Branson where he has a real estate development that sells condos and houses (not sure how he was able to get back into real estate development after the Heritage USA crap).
Quote Reply
Re: If you give him money, you deserve to be broke [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
j p o wrote:

Or: "he told me you've got to do food"

How is that even legal?

Hey Jimbo, just because a dude named "Jesus" hit on you in prison, which I can totally believe, it doesn't mean he was the actual son of God.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: If you give him money, you deserve to be broke [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
j p o wrote:

I believe the Blues Brothers had the same visit.
Quote Reply