Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree much except two points. Racists are generally shitheads. And I don't think this issue is specific to race. Any number of social causes, e.g. religion, abortion (baby killers), gender identity, etc., are subject to similar rhetorical hyperbole. The rhetoric of race isn't special.
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
sphere wrote:
I'm not saying it isn't bias. I'm saying it isn't bias inherently linked to a negative value judgement, as your phrasing implied.

If i presumed that an elder Japanese person living in my neighborhood didn't speak perfect English and had a preference for traditional Japanese food, that would reflect bias as well.

Racism doesn't have to be linked to a negative value judgment. It's just as racist to say that blacks are better athletes than whites as it is to say that blacks are poorer learners than whites. Neither judgment is universally true.

I find RG's statement incredibly patronizing and that attitude is rooted in a negative bias that a black kid who is well-spoken is "bettering himself," but a white kid who is well-spoken is expected to be. You don't see that?

Perhaps my original "rascist" comment was a bit blunt, but the point stands and Danno has stated it much more eloquently than I did. I still read a lot of threads here but I usually lack the time and patience to respond as much as I'd like and in a softer manner. Simply put, if you treat people differently, or think of them differently, based upon their skin color, that is racism. I think many have such tribal tendencies deep down inside, but should make a conscious effort not to treat others differently.

And yes, Sanuk, I did read his entire post. It reminded me of the person that claims not to be a racist, saying - "see here, I have a black friend."
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say "two terms" do you mean two sentences served consecutively?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be good as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
When you say "two terms" do you mean two sentences served consecutively?

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Danno wrote:
sphere wrote:
I'm not saying it isn't bias. I'm saying it isn't bias inherently linked to a negative value judgement, as your phrasing implied.

If i presumed that an elder Japanese person living in my neighborhood didn't speak perfect English and had a preference for traditional Japanese food, that would reflect bias as well.

Racism doesn't have to be linked to a negative value judgment. It's just as racist to say that blacks are better athletes than whites as it is to say that blacks are poorer learners than whites. Neither judgment is universally true.

I find RG's statement incredibly patronizing and that attitude is rooted in a negative bias that a black kid who is well-spoken is "bettering himself," but a white kid who is well-spoken is expected to be. You don't see that?

Perhaps my original "rascist" comment was a bit blunt, but the point stands and Danno has stated it much more eloquently than I did. I still read a lot of threads here but I usually lack the time and patience to respond as much as I'd like and in a softer manner. Simply put, if you treat people differently, or think of them differently, based upon their skin color, that is racism. I think many have such tribal tendencies deep down inside, but should make a conscious effort not to treat others differently.

And yes, Sanuk, I did read his entire post. It reminded me of the person that claims not to be a racist, saying - "see here, I have a black friend."
I pretty much agree with you. I mean, you're still a dick for failing to apologize, but it's a fair point.

In a perfect world we'd be absolutely color blind. That would certainly be my preference. But our cultural solution to racism has most certainly not been "lets all be colorblind". Instead, we obsess over race. We've created all sorts of legal and structural norms in attempts to "fix" racial disparities. Advocacy groups are constantly on the prowl for things that effect the races differently. For example, if I don't hire enough minorities, I'm presumed to be racist. If I don't make enough loans to minorities, it's racism.

I live in the deep South. The best public HS in the state is a couple blocks from the house. It's an "audition only" arts school. #1 son is starting there next week thanks to 4yrs of saxaphone practice. The minority members of the school board hate the school and want it closed. Sure, we've got the best HS in the state, lets close it. The reason they want it disbanded is because there's not enough minority kids in it for their liking. This is their words, not mine. The school is presumed to be racist.

Racism has become our accusation of first resort. The Supreme Court has agreed several times that racial disparities in outcome can be considered reasonable proof of a racist process.

So altho I agree with you that it would be much better to just be colorblind, that's not "officially approved" method we've chosen to end racism. The problem with that, imo, focusing on being colorblind really could end racism. But what we're doing, focusing on race and obsessing over every disparity, is keeping the last vestiges of racism alive. It's on life support, but we just can't kill it.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your post. Sorry for jumping on you earlier.

I don't disagree with your points. Before the rise of Trump, I would have told you that while there are still vestiges of racism in this country, such people are far, far outnumbered by those who aspire to a true colorblind existence. Now, since Trump's nomination and election, I'm not so sure. And, while I get the pushback to those who would claim to be against racism but yet continue to focus on racial disparities, I think what we're seeing now are far, far greater numbers of people who are just truly racist to the core. And that's terrifying considering the country I thought we were.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't know anyone like that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37-M_AzPxmM

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Affirmative Action racist/sexist?

cholla wrote:
Simply put, if you treat people differently, or think of them differently, based upon their skin color, that is racism.
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bq2001 wrote:

cholla wrote:
Simply put, if you treat people differently, or think of them differently, based upon their skin color, that is racism.

Absolutely.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yes, that is racism, and no, it's not universally true. That doesn't mean it isn't mostly true, or reliably true, at the population level. No one, to my knowledge, is arguing otherwise.

Are we in agreement, then, that not all racist statements are evil, or even objectionable?

Japanese children eat healthier diets than do American children. Objectively true, culturally ingrained and reinforced. Not inherent to their DNA, but a product of their culture--much like the speech habits of American subgroups like urban African Americans. Is it racist, or offensive, to suggest that Japanese children are better educated about diet and health than are African American children, even though it may not hold true at the individual level in every instance?

Quote:

Put that way, devoid of context, yes, obviously.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Are we in agreement, then, that not all racist statements are evil, or even objectionable?

I'll go so far as to say not all racist statements are made with evil intention. Not sure I can agree with what you've written above, but I'll think about it.

sphere wrote:
Japanese children eat healthier diets than do American children. Objectively true, culturally ingrained and reinforced. Not inherent to their DNA, but a product of their culture--much like the speech habits of American subgroups like urban African Americans. Is it racist, or offensive, to suggest that Japanese children are better educated about diet and health than are African American children, even though it may not hold true at the individual level in every instance?

I have no problem with objective, verifiable generalizations. I do have a problem when those generalizations are used to make a prejudgment on an individual level simply because the individual appears to be part of a particular racial or ethnic group. It is inherently more sinister when the prejudgment involves a negative value judgment or causes one to be pleasantly "surprised" because the expected negative judgment turns out to be incorrect.

sphere wrote:
Put that way, devoid of context, yes, obviously.

It was not devoid of context. His comment was dripping with context. Again, I don't believe RG (or really anyone here, present company included) intends to do or say something racist; but we do -- quite often, myself included. We think we're being complimentary when in fact we are not.

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bq2001 wrote:

cholla wrote:

Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
bq2001 wrote:

cholla wrote:

Yes.

Ah, the old Affirmative-Action-is-racist schtick.

I disagree that mere "recognition of difference" is the most commonly used definition of the word.

Going on first listed definition in several dictionaries:

Merriam-Webster:

Quote:
a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Oxford:

Quote:
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Cambridge:

Quote:
the belief that some races are better than others, or the unfairtreatment of someone because of his or her race
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't take all this winning....he can go yesterday
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People commonly fail to distinguish between racist and racial.
Quote Reply
Re: Why I want two terms of Trump. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those listed definitions are in line with the content of RG's post.
Quote Reply

Prev Next