Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
in your link, peaty hit the 35m mark in 17.5s and the 50m mark in 26.61. You do the math...
never mind, i did it for you.
1:00.7 for 100m with no dive, pullouts, turns..

Interesting, I would've thought around 1:05, guess I was giving the walls too much credit. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:02.4 if I include the last 35m

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except in a medley race the term free means you can do anything, it means freedom to pick whatever you would like. //

Well not really. If people could do what they wanted then it would be underwater dolphin kicking, they cannot do that. It is freedom of choice to choose from the prescribed strokes.

And I believe I just saw that FINA is allowing the Lochte rule to lapse, so you can push off on your back on the last leg of the IM and dolphin to the line??
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
synthetic wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. There is one dolphin kick allowed in breaststroke It might make a half second difference, but probably not even that much.

And it Certainly isn't the majority of the swim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsGHSe6N06w

race starts at 7s. the REAL breast stroke movement starts at 13s. turn point 35s mark to 39 is also non breast stroke. So not the whole swim, but 11s in the 57 swim is noteworthy especially as the race gets longer... and i can only imagine this is worse in an scy pool. if you where to do the frog kick of breast stroke off the wall... the parachuting drag would really decrease times too.

They could make you turn without touching a wall so there was no push, only breaststroke...but why???

That clip looked like mostly breaststroke, not underwater pullout. Not sure what your point is here??

I think synthetic is trying to get a handle on how much slower the best breaststrokers would be if they swam breaststroke in an OW swim. I'd guess the top 200 breast guys could prob swim a 1500 lcm breast in the pool in 18:00-ish vs 14:30-ish for 1500 lcm free, or about 25% slower.

What does that have to do with open water swimming?
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Except in a medley race the term free means you can do anything, it means freedom to pick whatever you would like. //

Well not really. If people could do what they wanted then it would be underwater dolphin kicking, they cannot do that. It is freedom of choice to choose from the prescribed strokes.

And I believe I just saw that FINA is allowing the Lochte rule to lapse, so you can push off on your back on the last leg of the IM and dolphin to the line??

Not really, it's more of a clarification, but not a particularly good clarification. You are allowed to push off on your back on the free leg of an IM race, but you must be on your front when you start to kick. How "on your front" is defined isn't quite clear.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Thanks, that is what I was looking for, and nevertheless still impressive pace. As to guy who asked what this has to do with OWS.. well dont you see the occasional breast stroker at a tri? I wonder now how much they are taxing themselves doing this stroke, as most calorie burn calculators for different swim strokes, probably don't eliminate the pull out phase, which isn't that taxing.. thus breast stroke showing less amount of calories burned when compared to front crawl
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Thanks, that is what I was looking for, and nevertheless still impressive pace. As to guy who asked what this has to do with OWS.. well don't you see the occasional breast stroker at a tri? I wonder now how much they are taxing themselves doing this stroke, as most calorie burn calculators for different swim strokes, probably don't eliminate the pull out phase, which isn't that taxing.. thus breast stroke showing less amount of calories burned when compared to front crawl

If the breaststroker is working hard, then he/she can burn at least as many calories as when swimming freestyle, on an energy per time unit basis. OTOH, on a energy per distance unit, a hard 1500 m of breast would likely cost 25-50% more calories than the equivalent effort in a 1500 m freestyle, b/c breast is simply less efficient than freestyle. A 20 min 1500 m freestyle swimmer might need 30 min to do a 1500 m breast.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Thanks, that is what I was looking for, and nevertheless still impressive pace. As to guy who asked what this has to do with OWS.. well dont you see the occasional breast stroker at a tri? I wonder now how much they are taxing themselves doing this stroke, as most calorie burn calculators for different swim strokes, probably don't eliminate the pull out phase, which isn't that taxing.. thus breast stroke showing less amount of calories burned when compared to front crawl

Why did you not simply state this in your OP ??
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Why did you not simply state this in your OP ??

i dont have swim background thus i dont have proper terminology to convey my question
Quote Reply

Prev Next