Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really hope you are not trolling with all this and wasting everybody's time. I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

Don't worry about your speed day to day. There can be so many factors for how fast you are on a specific day. What you ate for breakfast, temperature, humidity, air pressure (yes, air pressure can have an affect, read the Platypus thread), wind (even slight) etc. Just go out and ride your bike.

If you really want to know how you are doing day to day get a power meter. It will tell you when you are fatigued much better than your speed. Can't hold the power you normally can today? Probably because of the running intervals you did earlier. Pushing solid power? Probably going on a bit fresher legs.

You seem to be into the tech of cycling so maybe a power meter would be right up your alley. When you start training smart with power you won't care about your speed on day to day rides.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
I really hope you are not trolling with all this and wasting everybody's time. I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

Don't worry about your speed day to day. There can be so many factors for how fast you are on a specific day. What you ate for breakfast, temperature, humidity, air pressure (yes, air pressure can have an affect, read the Platypus thread), wind (even slight) etc. Just go out and ride your bike.

If you really want to know how you are doing day to day get a power meter. It will tell you when you are fatigued much better than your speed. Can't hold the power you normally can today? Probably because of the running intervals you did earlier. Pushing solid power? Probably going on a bit fresher legs.

You seem to be into the tech of cycling so maybe a power meter would be right up your alley. When you start training smart with power you won't care about your speed on day to day rides.

Nope I am not a troll can assure you. But thanks for the info and yes a power meter definitely seems to be a great tool. This is no different than a runner using a heart rate monitor to gauge his/her level of fitness and to be able to make sure they are not running too fast for a specific key workout/race. i.e., one should never run more than 75% of their maximum heart rate for a full marathon, half marathons should be no more than 85% of ones max heart rate. These are generalizations and there are plenty of non elites and elites who have got away with pushing it.

But yes I should have gotten one of these to see if there is a difference in wheelsets so I am thinking. But then again maybe using a heart rate while going up a gentle hill can also tell me the same level of effort via heart rate. The watts measured while peddling up some of the gentle rolling hills I guess would make determining whether claims by certain wheel manufacturers are really what they claim
Last edited by: marathonrunner: Jul 26, 17 23:59
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
The watts measured while peddling up some of the gentle rolling hills I guess would make determining whether claims by certain wheel manufacturers are really what they claim

That is neither what you should be using a power meter for nor the correct way to go about assessing wheel manufacturer claims.

The post by Burhed you replied to correctly calls out some of the myriad variables that will prevent your proposed use case for a power meter from working well.

However, if this is what you want to spend some of your disposable income on, have at it.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it amazing how far people are willing to indulge your silliness on the off-chance that you're not trolling.
It's pretty damn simple. Wheels make a small difference. It's small. The differences you speak of are not about wheels. They are your imagination, or just nonsense to start up a silly thread.

If you're serious, based on the girly legs thread, this one, and your new "What will superbikes look like in year 3037" (with absurdly incompetent maths), I'm starting to worry for you. If you're trolling......let's see how long you last on this forum.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jul 27, 17 1:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible you have the 808 front mounted backwards (skewer inserted the wrong way)? That would make the wheel rotate the wrong way and would definitely make it feel sluggish.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
Is it possible you have the 808 front mounted backwards (skewer inserted the wrong way)? That would make the wheel rotate the wrong way and would definitely make it feel sluggish.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
...I guess would make determining whether claims by certain wheel manufacturers are really what they claim...
You're sweating wheels too much, the 808s are fine on your road bike if you can manage to not get blown off the road. IMO, you're wrapped in all sorts of minutia regarding your wheels. Are the bearings good, they true, pads set up correctly... then just ride them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
Burhed wrote:

Nope I am not a troll can assure you. But thanks for the info and yes a power meter definitely seems to be a great tool. This is no different than a runner using a heart rate monitor to gauge his/her level of fitness and to be able to make sure they are not running too fast for a specific key workout/race. i.e., one should never run more than 75% of their maximum heart rate for a full marathon, half marathons should be no more than 85% of ones max heart rate. These are generalizations and there are plenty of non elites and elites who have got away with pushing it.

But yes I should have gotten one of these to see if there is a difference in wheelsets so I am thinking. But then again maybe using a heart rate while going up a gentle hill can also tell me the same level of effort via heart rate. The watts measured while peddling up some of the gentle rolling hills I guess would make determining whether claims by certain wheel manufacturers are really what they claim

At last someone is going to use science to hold Zipp accountable.
Are you going to have a gofundme page like the guys who did the aero testing? I would be in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next