Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

glacier national park and yellowstone
Quote | Reply
Thinking of planning a family trip in the next year or so and was looking at places to stay. Would prefer to be in or as close to the parks as possible. Any ideas or recommendations?
Thanks,
Joe
Quote Reply
Re: glacier national park and yellowstone [dogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you choosing between these two or visiting both?

I"m a tent camper, so probably no help on brick n mortar places to stay.

On Glacier NP, as you are looking where to fly into or how to get there, if you are flying, don't forget to look coming into Calgary instead, and driving back down across the border. When I last looked into it, it was a cheaper option than flying into some of the US cities.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting the lodging you want within the NPS is not as difficult as it's made out to be. Sure, reservations open up at 12 months but hundreds of those are cancelled through the year and many near the cancel for free (30 day) deadline. In Yellowstone, travel groups are allowed to reserve hundreds of rooms every day. Many of those are cancelled near the 30-day cancellation period. However, this does require you to check the websites (xanterra.com for Yellowstone) a few times per day. But once you bookmark the page it takes maybe 10 seconds to check.

To me, an important part of the visit to the NPS is the old lodging. The great old inns and lodges.
Quote Reply
Re: glacier national park and yellowstone [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Glacier NP, as you are looking where to fly into or how to get there, if you are flying, don't forget to look coming into Calgary instead, and driving back down across the border.

I biked in coming south from Calgary (actually coming south all the way from Inuvik) and went through Glacier Park. It was stunning and tent camping is by far the best way to enjoy the place.

Quote Reply
Re: glacier national park and yellowstone [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will plan on flying in and would like to stay at one of the lodges. My way of convincing the family to go since they would not be willing to do the tent thing. Are the lodges there part of the state park or are they their own entity? Looking now since I did hear things book up like crazy. Any preference on the time of year? We will try to visit both over a 10 day period.
Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both are National Parks and the National Park Service owns the lodges however they are managed by Xanterra (much like Marriott manages privately owned properties). http://www.xanterra.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe booking for most of the NP lodges starts at approx 11 months out. Just FYI.
We booked Crater Lake Lodge for this September last October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in Glacier, I would recommend you focus on the east side of the park. It is definitely the best side, much more open and less forested than the west side, plus easier access to really spectacular country.

The Many Glacier lodge is the best place to stay (if your not camping). It is the most spectacular area of the park, with a huge variety of hiking opportunities. Great views from the lodge itself.

If you want to be a little more adventurous, there are a couple of backcountry chalets you can make reservations at. The granite Park chalet is about a 7 or 8 mile hike (I think, it's been a long time) from Logan Pass. It's an easy hike, following a trail near the top of a ridge line with no substantial elevation gain. I think you can order food/supplies, but you have to prepare it yourself in the kitchen there, but you wouldn't have to carry supplies The Sperry Chalet is full service, meals are provided, but it is a tougher hike with a lot of elevation gain (maybe 3500 feet or so).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're driving between the two, I'd consider a stop off here, if you have the time. It has a hot springs fed pool and water slide. It's in the middle of nowhere but it was relaxing and fun for the kids.

https://www.fairmontmontana.com/
Quote Reply
Re: glacier national park and yellowstone [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Thanks everyone for the ideas. Want to be able to walk out my door and go hiking and experience the land. Long tough hikes are what my family enjoys, however when they are done they enjoy the creature comforts. Any excursions that we should think about doing at or around the park? Will look into https://www.fairmontmontana.com/ as we travel between the two.
Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably too far out of your way, but https://centerofthewest.org/ in Cody, Wy was an amazing museum.
Last edited by: damn lucky: Jul 25, 17 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I were in Glacier last summer for four days in early September. I think it's my favorite place ever. We stayed outside the park at a VRBO in Columbia Falls. Worked great. Not sure the ages of your family but I definitely recommend the Highline trail. The Pitamaken Pass/Dawson Pass loop was also a great hike. Saw two bears on that one. It's a long one at 18 miles and the top is a bit nerve rattling with a very narrow trail and steep drop off (and 50 mph winds that day). But it was awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: glacier national park and yellowstone [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kids are teenagers so they can keep up on the hikes. Is summer the best time to visit? Would go either spring break or summer break?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of the park will be inaccessible because of snow during a spring break. I imagine it will be very busy in prime summer time. Early September was great.
Quote Reply
Re: glacier national park and yellowstone [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ideally we would go end of May before most schools get out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We stayed at the Old Faithful Lodge last summer and loved it. They are cabins are without baths but have very nice shared bathrooms/showers amongst the cabins. Ours had 2 queen beds (maybe doubles), and a sink. We were literally less than 100 yards from Old Faithful. There's a great cafeteria right there, and we went fancy a couple of times and ate at the Old Faithful Inn. That place is amazing architecturely. We just couldn't afford to sleep there for 3 nights. If you can - stay there. It's amazing. We probably saw Old Faithful erupt 4-5 times each day easy and that's with going out adventuring. It was fun to see it erupt late at night and very early morning. One time there were all of 7 people there (our family of 5 and 2 others). Mid day there were probably 1000+!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my wife and I will be in a VRBO in Whitefish MT for a week starting Sept 12 - then a week up near Golden BC. Bringing mountain bikes and kayaks . . . getting stoked. Any recs on good places to kayak (not whitewater) especially where we can get up to a glacier? Or great places to mountain bike - especially flowy non technical?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dogs, The going to the Sun HWY didn't open this year at Glacier until late June. In May you can drive about 15 miles into the park before the road closes and you turn around to go back. On the East side there is a little more open but not too much. After Labor day would be a better time for less crowds and everything being open.
Quote Reply
Re: glacier national park and yellowstone [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Will need to rethink my plans. Didn't realize May was a questionable time of year.
Joe
Quote Reply