Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular Flat Kit for Ironman
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone,

Looking for advice on a tubular flat kit for my next race. What's the tubular tire that folds the smallest to your knowledge? What do you guys do?

Would you put a second tire/flat kit in the 90k bike leg bag in case you need to use the first one early?

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Phil
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Flat Kit for Ironman [ironmanphil90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would use a Conti Sprinter with a single CO2 and chuck. Also taped an xacto knife blade to my seat post for quickly slicing the old tubular off the wheel.
It folds small enough that I would jam it under my seat.

If I got two flats I was waiting for on course support because my time goals are gone anyway.

ETA: I did get two flats in a race once. I rode the flat tubie on a disc wheel the last 8 miles. The disc was fine - just needed to slow on the downhills.
Last edited by: RobAllen: Jul 25, 17 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Flat Kit for Ironman [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
I would use a Conti Sprinter with a single CO2 and chuck. Also taped an xacto knife blade to my seat post for quickly slicing the old tubular off the wheel.

If I got two flats I was waiting for on course support because my time goals are gone anyway.

ETA: I did get two flats in a race once. I rode the flat tubie on a disc wheel the last 8 miles. The disc was fine - just needed to slow on the downhills.

Yeah I guess you're right, I might just do that then, I keep forgetting I can just stuff it under the seat.

Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Flat Kit for Ironman [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In my era the tubular was still king, and this was my set up. Conti Competition GP Tubular's on the wheels and a Conti Sprinter folded up tightly with a Co2 and a chuck in the middle of the folds, all held together under the saddle with an old toe clip strap!! :)

In 9 IRONMAN races and countless other races, I never flatted and never needed to use the spare!

FWIW - If I was racing today I would go with clinchers.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Put orange seal in you tires, that's your first line of defense.
2. A can of Hutchinchin Fast Air Inflator or Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex Espresso Cartridge, those are my fix a flats of choice.
3. If the above 2 do not work, cut the tub off, I use a tiny Swiss Army knife, or peel it off. Slap on your spare tub of choice. Mine is a Vittoria Corsa Triathlon 28-21, half fill with co2 to line it up, finish the canister of co2, final check for alignment. Roll. No longer than changing a clincher. Just relax and don't panic.
4. Second can of Hutchinson or Effetto in case of a second flat. Never needed.

Above is for longer than 70.3 races.

Just check your spare tub. They can dry rot especially around the valve. And don't use a tubular with latex. The CO2 loss is much much MUCH faster than butyl.

For a 70.3 I just carry 2 cans of sealant, with sealant in my tubulars. Running Vittoria Corsa Speeds with 1oz of orange seal in each.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Flat Kit for Ironman [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
2. A can of Hutchinchin Fast Air Inflator or Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex Espresso Cartridge, those are my fix a flats of choice.
3. If the above 2 do not work, cut the tub off, I use a tiny Swiss Army knife, or peel it off. Slap on your spare tub of choice. Mine is a Vittoria Corsa Triathlon 28-21, half fill with co2 to line it up, finish the canister of co2, final check for alignment. Roll. No longer than changing a clincher. Just relax and don't panic.

Just check your spare tub. They can dry rot especially around the valve. And don't use a tubular with latex. The CO2 loss is much much MUCH faster than butyl.

For a 70.3 I just carry 2 cans of sealant, with sealant in my tubulars. Running Vittoria Corsa Speeds with 1oz of orange seal in each.

So I have Vittoria Corsa Graphene Plus on both tires currently and I carry a bottle of vittoria pitstop. Whats the orange seal you put in? You put that in your tires initially when you install them?

Sorry for all the questions...

Will def carry a spare under the seat. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, put the orange seal in your tires now, its primarily used for tubeless setups.

http://orangesealed.com/shop/8oz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Yeah, put the orange seal in your tires now, its primarily used for tubeless setups.

http://orangesealed.com/shop/8oz

It'll still be good a month from now and works for tubulars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It lasts a awhile, don't let it pool at the valves, so when not using the wheels keep the valve not at the 6 o'clock position. I keep my race wheels somewhat pumped and spin them a couple times a day. Don't know if it does anything but I don't feel any lumps or globs in the tire of the sealant congealed. But it will be fine a month from now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:

great advice. what is orange seal?

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply