Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Shiv Basebar and Aerobar
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at used Specialized Shivs. While many have the original Specialized base and aero bars, some Shivs have aftermarket base and aero bars (ie: Zipp, Hed, Easton). Is this indicative of having them replaced due to a crash or just a simple matter of preference for a different set of bars instead of the original Specialized bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Basebar and Aerobar [triman909u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Original Spesh Shiv aerobars were recalled for safety (sheared bolts) and replaced with the factory low stack kit. The aerobars only were recalled, not the basebar. It took spesh a few months to come up with the fix. Anyone who wanted the recall done quicker, before the fix was out, got an aftermarket cockpit installed and paid for by Spesh. Edit: that could have meant a new aftermarket basebar for some owners, was my point.

That said, aftermarket cockpit replacements would not typically be indicative of a crash. People run 3rd party cockpits all the time for better fit and comfort.

You should inspect the frames for damage if you are worried about buying someone's crashed bike.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jul 24, 17 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Basebar and Aerobar [triman909u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matter of preference. I had stock alluminium bars and wanted tilt independently of the base bar. I went with zipp vuka clip and zipp carbon bull basebar for more comfort and better fit.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Jul 24, 17 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Basebar and Aerobar [GHTRIGUY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started with just the frameset and added to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Basebar and Aerobar [GHTRIGUY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some with aggressive fits cant get low enough due to SHIV Headtube height...Some aftermarket bars allow you to get lower than the Specilzed bars.

As mentioned, dont let aftermarket bars deter you, but i think the OE carbon bar does look the best if you can make it fit.
Quote Reply