Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2017 IMLP Race Report (BOP/MOP-er)
Quote | Reply
For those that like BOP/MOP race reports (like I do as I can relate more). Felt like I should give back. Enjoy:
My first time at Lake Placid. My tri club decided to make this our A race so I joined in. It was AMAZING and I highly recommend the race. The town is set up nicely for the race (lots of accommodations nearby - great downtown - amazing fans - beautiful scenery). I did IM Maryland as my first full and this was a way better overall experience. The tradeoff is a much harder course :) I wont repeat as much about the course since Dev’s overview is still spot on. Weather was borderline perfect for the day - started in the upper 50's with high in the low 70s. A bit of sun in the afternoon on the run but besides that not much to complain about.
Swim: 1:20:20 (2:04/100m)
As with many race reports, the swim was relatively uneventful. Easiest part of the day floating in the wetsuit with a calm Mirror Lake and pleasant low 70’s temp. It takes me about 500m to warm up fully -- shoulders and triceps weirdly burn and feel fatigued and then it goes away and I am cruising with little effort. (yes I could warm up swim for that but I dont really feel like wasting the energy for the 1 min gain in time). I also could likely swim faster but I dont want to burn myself out for an extra 5 mins -- though truthfully I had hoped for 2:00/100m pace to be sub 1:20. Unlike other placid race reports, I was not pummeled at all -- I stayed left for first loop and second loop was closer to the underwater cable line (could see it barely). I swam an extra 150m so perhaps I did swim sub 2:00/100m but my OWS skills are pretty terrible. I plan on working on this big time for my next IM. Regardless not disappointed with the time and left the water feeling really good -- no cramping, did not go anaerobic, felt fresh and relaxed.
T1: 9:53
Longer T1 than usual mainly due to the 0.4 miles of travel. Definitely the longest distance I have experienced in a transition. I did a light jog through this so really about 5 minutes of this was actually covering the distance. Other than that -- i took my time and double checked everything. I also didnt have anyone fetch my bike (not complaining) but probably added on another 30 seconds vs people who got their bikes handed to them).
Bike: 6:53:48 (16.24mph) NP: 172 AP: 158 - Avg HR: 136 (low Z2 - like the very bottom)
My goal was under 7 hours which I hit but not by much. My secondary goal was sub 6:45 which I feel I could have achieved if I had paced slightly better and limited my stops. I had 5 minutes of stoppage time for 3 bathroom breaks. Haven’t mastered peeing on the bike plus hills and spectator laden course was a bit more difficult. Other than that I did not hit my power numbers though mainly bc I rode conservative the first lap and was way under. The second lap had more wind so my times were slower even with higher average power. (3:24 first lap and 3:29 second lap). My VI was bad too due to some spiking over hills. I’ll admit I was feeling good at the end and I spiked it up over Papa Bear and the few rollers after. I was feeling excited to be off the bike. I dont regret it too much as my run was still solid but I perhaps felt a bit heavier in the legs. The hills are not that bad and I actually enjoy them at the end of the course (as you know your are close to the finish) just requires discipline. Just repeat to yourself you still need to run a marathon.
T2: 6:24
I had a full outfit change so this was expected. For next full I will eliminate this and move it closer to sub 3 mins as most T2’s are.
Run: 4:43:03 - 10:48/mile - avg HR 140 - Low Z2 again
Very pleased with my run -- which was a 10 min PR over my IMMD marathon (on a harder course). I generally felt great most of the run. Held off switching to coke and redbull till mile 10 or so. No GI issues and peed twice so kept my hydration up but probably lost another 1-2 mins. I think my new hydration strategy is to keep up base salt use every mile and let the saltiness drive my thirst -- which I was thirsty every aid station. Otherwise I kept a walk through the aid station and walk the major hills strategy to this marathon. I would advise non-podium seekers to walk the hills in exchange for less walking on the flats. I ran about 9:30-9:45 pace when I wasnt walking. There are several major hills on this course so those miles saw my average pace creep up to 12 min miles. Definitely extended my walking through aid stations a bit after the half marathon mark.This was evident with my splits 2:17 for first half and 2:26 for second. Need to work on closing that gap but 9 min positive splits in a IM marathon isnt too bad in my mind (for my pace). On a fun note, ran for about a mile with a guy who did Lake Placid 9 times which was pretty awesome and motivating.
Overall: 13:13:28 106/176 AG; 784/1575 Gender; 1005/2199 Overall
I was quite happy with this time as I was shooting for sub 14 hours. I knew this was a hard course and read Dev’s IMLP guide about 15 times before I did it. I planned to be patient and felt I executed well for my ability and preparation level. However having never ridden the course prior I definitely left some time out there. Also it was my first full IM with power so learning how to use that effectively is key. Lost 10 minutes there. Swim I definitely could get better with open water skills and pacing compared to my pool times - lost 5 minutes there. Run I feel I ran close to my potential - but could have pushed a bit more and shortened some walking breaks - I didnt fall over at the end - say 10 mins there. Transitions I could cut another 5 mins off easily with better prep and no clothes change. So I think with no fitness changes I could get sub 13 pretty easily. With moderate fitness improvements a 12:30 is reasonable for next year.
Training:
Most race reports include a sampling of training. I came into LP at 6’2” - 187 pounds with a 285 FTP.

I did 90% of my bike training indoors including a 5 hour and 4 hour long ride above race power. (I followed the TrainerRoad low volume - SS Base, Full Distance Tri Build, Full Distance Tri Specialty). I did exactly 1 long ride outside -- 105 miles at 190 NP - 171 AP with 6100 ft of climbing. That was a good confidence builder for IMLP bike (though I knew I couldnt ride 190 for the race).

I did BarryP running averaging usually 5 runs a week - 1 off the bike short run, 2 medium runs, 1 long run (max 15 miles). A couple weeks I added a 6th for 2 runs off the bike. Average 25 MPW for 6 months leading to race with a peak weak of 35 miles. (Low but I am a bigger runner and have had injuries in past). Consistency was favored over massive training.

Swim volume was 10k yards a week (3 swims - 3km ,3km, 4km) for last 3 months or so (before that it was about 6k a week over 2 - 3km sessions). I mostly do 200's and 100s. Some 500's thrown in and exactly 1 - 1km TT closer to the race.

Overall training volume for last 6 months was 9 hours a week - last 3 months about 12 hours a week with peak week being 17 hours. Given that I do majority on the trainer I feel my lack of hours is made up for through intensity and quality (especially if you believe TrainerRoad when they say 1 trainer hour = 1.25 outdoor hours). For the TrainingPeaks geeks my total CTL was 109; ATL 94, TSB 15 on race day. My swim TSS was 100, Bike TSS 265, and Run TSS 300 (though only really confident in Bike TSS numbers -- not sure about swim/run and how to use them for real yet).

I am self coached but likely will spring for a coach to really start improving now that I have 2 IM’s under my belt and show steady progress with relatively low volume. I plan to do a bike build to get FTP over 300 watts next and would like to get down to 180 pounds to help my watts/kg (no I wont go below that I enjoy having a bit of muscle and I am not a kona contender). Once I am at 180 I will squeeze in a run block (likely over winter) and try to build to and maintain 40mpw.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 IMLP Race Report (BOP/MOP-er) [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice write up, sounds like you executed your race plan, and overall, raced smart. I raced there 2 years ago and had a great time. It's fun to learn from a race and continue to find things to improve!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a good race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. Running all those hills whipped my ass. Walking the steep ones from the ski jumps back into town is smart for most of the field imho.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonderful luck for all the racers! A friend who did it texted to say it is 55 degrees and pissing down rain today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your race - I also enjoy non-elite/pro RRs as I can actually relate to them!

Did you mistype, or was your FTP actually 285? If you rode 158 AP, seems like super low effort for the bike leg - like so low you could have cranked it up a fair amount with no detriment.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 IMLP Race Report (BOP/MOP-er) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes 285 but I didn't pace well hence the poor VI. My IF was 0.61 with my NP. I had poor pacing and could have definitely improved that. I could've prolly gotten +10-15 mins on bike without a change in my run. First IM with power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did not see this thread yet, so wanted to say congrats. Second thing if you think FTP of 300W at 180 lbs is realistic for you (and I have not clue if it is), then we should be able to get your a decent way sub 11 at your age.

Now go get the partying out of your system and then let's figure out a better way to train where you don't feel your are sacrificing your life, while you are getting faster. You SHOULD be able to get to 95% of your optimal performance at IM off a decent 70.3 program. The other 5% is fine tuning, but note that 5% time on a 10:30 day is already 11:03. There is a ton of sacrifice to get the final 30 min of performance, but the first 95% you really can get off not a ton of IM specific training, but consitency and excellent body composition. No need for crazy long workouts every weekend.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice writeup! Congrats on your finish!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 IMLP Race Report (BOP/MOP-er) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Did not see this thread yet, so wanted to say congrats. Second thing if you think FTP of 300W at 180 lbs is realistic for you (and I have not clue if it is), then we should be able to get your a decent way sub 11 at your age.

Now go get the partying out of your system and then let's figure out a better way to train where you don't feel your are sacrificing your life, while you are getting faster. You SHOULD be able to get to 95% of your optimal performance at IM off a decent 70.3 program. The other 5% is fine tuning, but note that 5% time on a 10:30 day is already 11:03. There is a ton of sacrifice to get the final 30 min of performance, but the first 95% you really can get off not a ton of IM specific training, but consitency and excellent body composition. No need for crazy long workouts every weekend.

Dev

Thanks Dev ... appreciate the kind words and completely agree! Looking forward to next year already
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a nice job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, congrats! I also love to read reports from the mere mortals in triathlon. Definitely makes it more relatable and a more realistic perspective for someone like me...especially since I think I'm signing up for IM LP next week to be my first 140.6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job and great write-up. I did the race Sunday too; second Ironman, but first since having kids (3 year old and 4 month old on race day).
I was a little further BOP: 1:43:26 swim, 12:13 T1 (with full costume change), 7:36:06 bike, 5:56 T2 (another full costume change), and 5:26:00 marathon. A lot of "power walking" on the marathon. I was definitely way undertrained for this one. But very satisfying to finish and it was a great day, all around. (My first IM was 2012 IMLP, with a very similar bike split, but 20 mins faster swim, and just over an hour faster marathon, 13:36 finish).
Best part though came today, when I noticed the Finisher Pix email with photos they took along the course. They got two of me on the bike, right after I passed my wife, my 3 year old, and my father-in-law. So they're all right in the photo with me. I haven't bought one of those on course photos since probably my first half marathon in 2005, but am definitely going to buy one of these.