Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's been noted that he suffers in the heat. Pretty sure it was mild in Brazil, Arizona - relatively - but I've read a couple interviews where he talks about not going well in the heat. Could be a Meredith Kessler type - great athlete - just unlucky that Kona, and the prevailing conditions, is the big race.

Brent,

It's a distinguished list - those who simply could not go in the heat and humidity and the general conditions in Kona. It's very selective!

I know it's blasphemy to even mention/suggest this, but take the same 25 best men or women in the world and put them on a similar course but with temperate conditions, I'm guessing the make-up and order of the top-10 to 15 would be different!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I think it's been noted that he suffers in the heat. Pretty sure it was mild in Brazil, Arizona - relatively - but I've read a couple interviews where he talks about not going well in the heat. Could be a Meredith Kessler type - great athlete - just unlucky that Kona, and the prevailing conditions, is the big race.

Brent,

It's a distinguished list - those who simply could not go in the heat and humidity and the general conditions in Kona. It's very selective!

I know it's blasphemy to even mention/suggest this, but take the same 25 best men or women in the world and put them on a similar course but with temperate conditions, I'm guessing the make-up and order of the top-10 to 15 would be different!

VERY true - I shouldn't pick on Meredith - it just seems like the last couple years the two of them were listed as top contenders by "experts" but I don't think either one is set up to really ace Kona no matter how much they try.

The idea of a rotating IMWC is amazing - but the lure of Kona is enough at this point. But ultimately, of the group of athletes that are at the top right now, I think we would see similar results.

That said - I don't see AB winning Kona with both brothers not seeming to do well in the heat. Better preparation might help, and obviously the talent is there - but for some I think Kona is just too hard. What do you think?

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't look as bad.

Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chbelair wrote:
my vote would be to have the course use as much of Haselton as possible and make up the difference with the Ausable out/back.

+1000

If the race went up Haselton all the way to Black Brook, it would exactly equal 112 miles by eliminating the leg to Ausable Forks. I hate that road - it's in a disrepair that seems to hit you every second with a new bump or diversion. Haselton is a beautiful ride on a road in perfect condition (they even just repaved half of it), plus there's almost no traffic to interrupt.
Quote Reply

Prev Next