Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know who he is and I understand why his response was vague....but that still won't stop from at least trying to get him to share something, anything.

You were trying to elicit a response. My general view is if you are going to criticize what others have offered, offer a better suggestion; otherwise, save the criticism.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I offered a sugggest with my post.

Read it, look at what was written above before my post then don't apply it to yourself. That was my suggestion.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. Well played.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me rephrase. For me it would be a recipe for disaster and I would not follow any training plan without strength / functional sessions, especially a 20 hour plan. No pro does it for what I know. But, every athlete is different... Happy training.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm talking about Functional / strength sessions focused on improving strength and flexibility in key areas to keep and improve form, avoid overuse injury and ultimately perform well (could include dumbbells or machines, as well as pure functional focused on posture, strengthening of muscles, stretching, etc.) For more reference Joe Friel's bible or Dixon's The well built triathlete among others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In theory i have 168 hours per week minus sleep (56), eating (10.5), ablutions (7-10)

If i then spent 20 hours of the remaining 85-90 available week in week out attempting to hit 20 i think i might be hit by the overtraining bus within 8-12 weeks and then the question would be "how can i get to 30 minutes per day without putting myself back in a hole?"

Just a thought but it really seems the law of marginal returns is kicking in if you are looking for 20 hours a week and the risk / reward if you are not a professional should be considered

Edit to add: i have no commute and no job and aside from the stress of 2 under 3 and a burnt down apartment my problems are pretty first world. If i were juggling a commute, job, family and training 20 hours would put me in divorce court and unemployed
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Jul 25, 17 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
Let me rephrase. For me it would be a recipe for disaster and I would not follow any training plan without strength / functional sessions, especially a 20 hour plan. No pro does it for what I know. But, every athlete is different... Happy training.

Brett Sutton lets his athletes only do specific strength while swimming, riding and running. Eg. Paddles, big gears, hills.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to do this workout twice a week.

https://www.markallencoaching.com/strength-training/

I was injury proof.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
rodchaves31 wrote:

Brett Sutton lets his athletes only do specific strength while swimming, riding and running. Eg. Paddles, big gears, hills.

I think I would do weights, yoga, massage, etc. if I had MORE than 20 hrs/week to train.

There has to be some limit to how much training you can handle.
20-25 hr/wk seems likely to be my limit.
Once I reach my limit, I might as well do weights, yoga, massage.
I can't train anymore anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Or nap

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

Or nap

Yes, yes!
The nap would come first.

Ideally in priority:
Train 20-25 hr/week
Nap
Massage
Yoga
Weights
Sports psychologist
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Jul 25, 17 15:07
Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

Or nap

Yes, yes!
The nap would come first.

Ideally in priority:
Train 20-25 hr/week
Nap
Massage
Yoga
Weights
Sports psychologist

I do this things too. Especially during summer holidays when I have tons of time.

In fact I am a big fan of core training. I just wanted to say that there are rather successfull pro regimens that don't do it.

Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This question needs some quantification to it, if you really want answers to it.
What is your weakness? What are you training for? Goals? Where are you now vs. where you want to be? Anyone can throw down random hours of SBR times each week.
The biggest question is do you want to waste 20 hours a week, or invest in them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the past year I have been training consistently for 16-23 hours a week.

Now I try something new and want to organize my training over a two week cycle. In fact it will be 10 + 4 days. So you do 10 days of quite hard training followed by 4 to recovery.
With that I won't have a traditional 1,2,3 build and 1 down week.

As fridays is my low day at work I start this cycle on a friday.

Fri: hard
Sat: long
Sun: hard
Mon: easy
Thu: hard
Wed: long
Thur: easy
Fri: long
Sat: hard
Sun: long

Mon: oft
Tue: very easy
Wed: easy
Thur: easy

And repeat.

The actual content will vary depending on the time of the season. Hard can mean sprints/hills and later develop to Vo2max and race pace.
I am not shy to put in more easy days between the efforts during the 10 stress days if I need to.

The biggest benefit of this structure is that it fits neaty with an ordinary work week.

- You don't "lose" a weekend with recovery during easy weeks
- Every other week you don't need to worry about scheduling training during work days. So it should be less overall lifetime stress.
- Your "stress" period is not long enough to dig you a hole.
- Frequent short breaks make sure you save your gains more frequently

I am really curious to find out how that works for me. Maybe that approach could be be something for you as well.

I think we sometimes should look further than a 7 day cycle. Yes our life weeks are structured around that. But maybe our body operates better when we can execute and recovery from workouts over a longer amount of time.

But overall I think it will come down to an average of 20 hours a week. But maybe it will more be like 25 hours plus 15 hours.

Last edited by: ToBeasy: Jul 26, 17 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question to you is why do you want to train 20 hours a week? Training 20 hrs a week isn't going to mean that you will be faster or KQ.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 HOURS A WEEK [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Training 20 hrs a week isn't going to mean that you will be faster or KQ.

While it doesn't mean KQ or faster, initially, endurance sports are ultimately volume based.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend at least 5 of those hours doing some kind of recovery work (massage, stretching, Physical Therapy, and what not), then spend 15 training.

USA Triathlon Level 2 Coach
Slowtwitch Master Coach
Head Coach, TriCoach Colorado, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True if you structure the workouts correctly and allow for adequate recovery then you will be faster at 20+ hrs per week.
Quote Reply

Prev Next