Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW
Quote | Reply
Before posting I've spent significant amount of time trying to find answer to this questions, but without any luck.
So I decided I will make a post before making final decision.

I'm about to buy new set of Zipp 808 NSW and sell my first generation Flo 90 w/ceramics + wheelcover combo.
Thanks to good price offered me by LBS that is supporting me + money from selling Flos this operation won't cost me much.
But the question is will it make ANY difference at all.

I always wanted to have Zipps - it's that first impression and memories from first races, logo/bad ass look etc.
At the same time I really appreciate amount of work and engineering ideas behind Flo's and I know that difference between those will be small if any.

Main reason to upgrade is Kona - having best equipment as possible always gives some self confidence.
For other races this year I will borrow Super9 and later probably I will get a cover for NSW (I guess Flo90 one won't fit NSW).
Wheels will be mounted to Canyon CF SLX .

Before you make any comments about my swimming,running,etc - I do have a coach and I did improve my swimming. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [michalp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you want something, buy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's obviously going to make a difference. Will it be much? Probably not. They're lighter, more aero, and the ratchet disengages if you ever decide to coast. If they're not going to cost you much, go for it. I really don't see why you wouldn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the Zipps if you can afford them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michalp wrote:
Before posting I've spent significant amount of time trying to find answer to this questions, but without any luck.

I'm about to buy new set of Zipp 808 NSW and sell my first generation Flo 90 w/ceramics + wheelcover combo.
Thanks to good price offered me by LBS that is supporting me + money from selling Flos this operation won't cost me much.

I always wanted to have Zipps - it's that first impression and memories from first races, logo/bad ass look etc.
At the same time I really appreciate amount of work and engineering ideas behind Flo's and I know that difference between those will be small if any.

Main reason to upgrade is Kona - having best equipment as possible always gives some self confidence.
For other races this year I will borrow Super9 and later probably I will get a cover for NSW (I guess Flo90 one won't fit NSW).

Before you make any comments about my swimming,running,etc - I do have a coach and I did improve my swimming. :)

Curious on the budget? How much are the NSWs and how much do you expect to get from the FLOs realistically? The aerodynamic advantage of deeper wheels is getting you 90% savings. There is then the smaller difference between the actual wheels themselves. If you don't have a set of wheels that is one thing, but it become less clear when swapping. Other things can make a difference like handling, braking, tubeless, designed with wide tires in mind. If you are trying for Kona I could see it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
michalp wrote:

Curious on the budget? How much are the NSWs and how much do you expect to get from the FLOs realistically? The aerodynamic advantage of deeper wheels is getting you 90% savings. There is then the smaller difference between the actual wheels themselves. If you don't have a set of wheels that is one thing, but it become less clear when swapping. Other things can make a difference like handling, braking, tubeless, designed with wide tires in mind. If you are trying for Kona I could see it.
Probikekit.co.uk are selling them for 2k £. I got same offer from LBS. After vat and tax deduction (buying them as company equip.) and selling Flos for equivalent of around 800$ (it's a fair price imo) its less then 1k$.
I'm KQ since last September and IM Weymouth where I had quite decent result even though I lost over 8' on a wrong turn and then had to ride 50k on single gear due to di2 failure. Now it's about a bit more then "just" getting the slot.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

What if what you want you don't really need?

Emotions can be great, but not when deciding which equipment to race with, or what to spend your money on.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

What if what you want you don't really need?

Emotions can be great, but not when deciding which equipment to race with, or what to spend your money on.

E.x.a.c.t.l.y, this was the reason I asked the question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$2000 is the steal-of-a-deal that you don't feel you can pass up?? Geeeeez

Simple...Read all the data you can on the wheels to determine any differences in speed and decide whether $1000 for that difference is worth it to you. My guess is it is less than a minute over an IM but you can find the data or somewhere here will have it at hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michalp wrote:

I see people all the time on here debating on spending money on something vs the other What you should be figuring out is how much will I lose when I decide to one item vs the other.

If you buy the Zipps correctly, you should not lose much money when you decide to sell. Certainly can't that about most other manufacturers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I will give you $100.00 for the Flo...does that make it an easier decision? :-)

In my younger days, if I thought there was an advantage, ever so slight to having that (real or perceived) better equipment, I would try to attain it. Now that I am older I think it was more psychological than actual time saving to make a change. Would I want to be out on the ride to Hawi wondering ..."what if I had swapped these Flo's for the Zipp's?" ? In my younger days, I messed with my own mind like that during races.

Personally, I don't think the performance difference will be that huge, but its your money and peace of mind while on the course.

And...my offer of $100.00 stands. :-) (Best of luck to you at Kona!)

D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michalp wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
michalp wrote:

Probikekit.co.uk are selling them for 2k £. I got same offer from LBS. After vat and tax deduction (buying them as company equip.) and selling Flos for equivalent of around 800$ (it's a fair price imo) its less then 1k$.
I'm KQ since last September and IM Weymouth where I had quite decent result even though I lost over 8' on a wrong turn and then had to ride 50k on single gear due to di2 failure. Now it's about a bit more then "just" getting the slot.

Have you found a buyer for the Flo's yet. The reason I mentioned is you might be surprised how hard it can be to resell wheels or at least at the price you want which could figure into your equation. I am not familiar with how the VAT and stuff affects things in Europe and what people are welling to pay. At least here in the US when you have sets of HED JET 6+ for $949 that are new with warranty, I think it is a tough sell to sell used Flos for $800. I had a heck of a time selling a brand new 808 NSW just recently.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

no truer words have ever been spoken
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
michalp wrote:

I see people all the time on here debating on spending money on something vs the other What you should be figuring out is how much will I lose when I decide to one item vs the other.

If you buy the Zipps correctly, you should not lose much money when you decide to sell. Certainly can't that about most other manufacturers.

Really? Super 9s sell for $3k in Australia, people are losing $1k+ when trying to sell them. I paid $700 for my Renn disc and sold it 2 years later for $500. Unless you're talking 2nd hand Zipps? I will say though that selling a Zipp 2nd hand is going to be much easier than selling a more obscure brand.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 24, 17 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you financially sound and responsible with some disposable income? If it makes you happy to have it and you feel like it makes your experience and performance better, even if it's marginal or imaginary, get what makes you happy.

Are you going into debt, an impulse spender, draining saving or the kids college fund? Don't get them.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a reasonable estimate of the performance difference would be looking at the difference between generation 1 and generation 2 flo wheels.

As far as $800 for the used wheels... I doubt it, mainly because you can buy brand new generation 2 wheels from Flo for $950, as well as the aforementioned Hed wheels for the same price.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobra_kai wrote:
I think a reasonable estimate of the performance difference would be looking at the difference between generation 1 and generation 2 flo wheels.

As far as $800 for the used wheels... I doubt it, mainly because you can buy brand new generation 2 wheels from Flo for $950, as well as the aforementioned Hed wheels for the same price.
$950 is in US before you add state tax. To buy them and send to Poland you need to pay 8% duty from price including shipping (just $98.50) and then 23% vat from result of previous excercise. Then I add aerojacket for $100 + ridiculusly expensive shipping. That sums up to something like $1540. Welcome to EU and PL.
For something like $850 you can buy here in Poland polish "Ron" - art of technology that are also carbon/alu hybrids with break track width of ... 18mm and finish which is far from ideal and boy how those wheels are popular here due to endorsments. No body asks for performance proof - its deep carbon so it must go fast, especially with 25c tiers...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michalp wrote:
cobra_kai wrote:

$950 is in US before you add state tax. To buy them and send to Poland you need to pay 8% duty from price including shipping (just $98.50) and then 23% vat from result of previous excercise. Then I add aerojacket for $100 + ridiculusly expensive shipping. That sums up to something like $1540. Welcome to EU and PL.
For something like $850 you can buy here in Poland polish "Ron" - art of technology that are also carbon/alu hybrids with break track width of ... 18mm and finish which is far from ideal and boy how those wheels are popular here due to endorsments. No body asks for performance proof - its deep carbon so it must go fast, especially with 25c tiers...

I like those Ron wheels, I wonder how much to ship to Australia?
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably half of the price :)
What do you like about them? They do have appealing decals, but otherwise imo they would perform worse then old alu/carbon 808 or any other similar narrow break track oldies. Internal width of enve 7.8 or nsw is wider then external there. So how tier-rim connection can be any good with so narrow track when choosing bad tiers can cost 5-8w on good wide rims like Flo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the first generation Flo 60s. Not a bad wheel, just a bit heavy and they aren't as stable in a cross wind as the 404s I replaced them with. You kinda get what you pay for, the Zipps should be a little better at everything, but the Flo wheels offer pretty good bang for the buck.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Flo90 upgrade to Zipp 808 NSW [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are people's thoughts on the Zipp 1080 front. It's slower than a 808 Firecrest, but is it still a quick wheel? Would there be much difference between the two in regards performance?
Quote Reply