Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Desk Bike
Quote | Reply

Came back from 2,5 week vacation and found out they installed two desk bikes at the office. It has a app which calculates calorie burn.

Anyone has experience incorporating this in your training? suggestions? tips?
Last edited by: IvarAlmere: Jul 24, 17 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Desk Bike [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what make is that?
Quote Reply
Re: Desk Bike [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://deskbike.eu/en/deskbikes/

i think Deskbike is the official name.
Quote Reply
Re: Desk Bike [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No direct experience with that but I can't imagine it's something that's going to help much with actual event training. How would one concentrate on the work at hand and keep up the appropriate focus on the bike performance?

It does seem like a good thing for the average person just to improve overall fitness levels though.
Last edited by: ctreynolds: Jul 24, 17 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: Desk Bike [ctreynolds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously i can't go interval training.

But maybe there is some added effect if I slip in hour Z2 each day? not sure if that's useful or neglectable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Adding an hour of Z2 is simply going to come at the expense a harder more productive interval session after work.

To me the value in having something like this at the office would be for a little active recovery here and there when you need it. 20-30 min of easy spinning does wonders for my recovery when my legs are stiff and sore. Will it add to your fitness? no, not really but it will help recover for the next key session.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well this is a weird place to work. Two guys and a shovel, office style? Seriously, why are there two bikes at one desk with one monitor? Will you race each other?

Also, does it have tension/effort control? Or is it just spinning your legs?

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That desk and screen don't look very aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical Capitalist oppression of the working classes. If you look VERY closely you can see where they have photo shopped out the cables leading from these disguised generators. They used to make coal miners pay for their shovels and dynamite and now office drones are required to make their own electricity. Shameful exploitation! Workers of the World -Arise! (they should a least provide toe clips)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Jesse Thomas around the 2min mark... he's all over this!

Quote Reply
Re: Desk Bike [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can bring my tt helmet to the office...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many of us spend so much time at a desk. My wife (physician) has a standing desk. One of my kids (sales) has a treadmill desk. I mostly swim so that combo might prove challenging but I'd be very up to seeing a practical way like these examples of marrying cycling to desk work. Anybody else feel like posting one that they've created? Lots of bright people out there.

Thannks, John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my tri bike at my desk, it’s a standing desk so when it pulls outwards it can go right over my handlebars to a comfortable position

I do only zone 1 riding on it for about 2hrs a day. Sometimes I’ll do up to 4 hrs. I keep Zwift running in a side laptop away from my vision

I have seen huge benefits to my heart rate to power efficiency when I do long rides in zone 2 on weekends.

I don’t let it replace my intensity work and it’s never a replacement to a workout, only bonus volume. Some can say junk miles sure but my weight is also in check and I’m seeing results

If I’m toasted from other workouts I always skip it or it will just dig me into a hole
Quote Reply
Re: Desk Bike [.david.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.david. wrote:
Check out Jesse Thomas around the 2min mark... he's all over this!

I did not know wildflower was a marathon?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't be 'that guy' in the office that does tri's and shows up in a full race kit to spin. Honestly this is brilliant! My employer has standing treadmill desks in order to get steps in, I take all of my conference calls on the treadmill and it totally beats sitting for an hour.

Ps. Don't forget a towel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pain cave / office uses a stand-up desk. I drop it down to work, and raise it to the standing position to work out. I've tried mixing the two, and it doesn't work well for me unless I'm on a strictly recovery ride.

The types of steady-state workouts I would like to do in the office would be like 2 hour high-Z2, but even at that rate I end up sweating too much to use the trackpad. Even with an open window in the spring/winter/fall and two fans on me to keep the sweat down, my level of concentration is... just different. But I also don't really like watching TV or movies at that level for the same reason.

Z1 recovery would be fine from a concentration standpoint, but then there's the issue of having all your weight on your sit bones. Sitting far enough upright to be able to work, means that all my weight is right on the seat. So I end up trying to shift the bike back, and leaning forward, which means that I end up trying to hold myself up over the keyboard with my arms. As long as they're not sweaty it's okay, but.

Plus, no matter what, you need your hands to work, so you're sacrificing your position no matter what.

It's really not as good an idea as I thought it would be.

Quote | Reply
Dr. Jim Martin from University of Utah was working on one of these and actually asked for our takes on it here, maybe that thread has interesting info for you. As I recall, he said once you got over 50 watts, you kinda turned into a sweaty mess.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Would_you_buy_a_cycling_computer_workstation_if_you_could%3F_P4704666/#p4704666

I only found one thread, but as I recall there were a few threads around that time on the issue

Quote Reply