Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclops magnus vs Wahoo Snap vs Kicker or Hammer ?
Quote | Reply
Hi

have checked reviews on DC rainmaker - having to relinquish my borrowed Wahoo kicker and had a look at these 2 less expensive options.

Also trolled the forum and had a quick look to see what the ST ers have been saying,

Just want to check I am not a dumb blonde and have read the reviews correctly, these give me power readings right ?

I'd be using then with Trainer Road and prefer to avoid having to take my Powertap wheel off my bike + use an old rear wheel for a trainer that is not direct drive.

Or would I be better just spending the extra $$$ and getting a Kickr?

Ta.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclops magnus vs Wahoo Snap vs Kicker or Hammer ? [velolassie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honest assessment: how much time do you anticipate your bike being on your trainer? Do you plan on taking it off every weekend? Every couple of days? Once every few months? If your bike is going to sit on the trainer for extended periods of time I'd pony up for a direct drive trainer that way you don't have to fiddle with tire pressure and spin down calibrations every time you want to get a session in. I have a computrainer (wheel on trainer) and I'm starting to get really tired of having to check my tire pressure, warm up, do a spin down, adjust the tension on the roller, do another spin down.... it's invariably 10-15 minutes of warming up and calibrating before I can get to the real "work" of my workout and that will be the same for any wheel on trainer.

If you do decide to wait for a direct drive trainer, I'd wait for this one: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...trainerhands-on.html
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclops magnus vs Wahoo Snap vs Kicker or Hammer ? [velolassie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a (wheel on) Kickr Snap and leave my bike on there for weeks at a time. It's pretty fool proof. I pump the rear tyre back up to 100psi every few days to keep it consistent and calibrate it (which takes about a minute) every time i have taken the bike off for an outdoor ride, or just every few days if i can be bothered. I use Trainer Road and Zwift and it works great. Wouldn't swap it for anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclops magnus vs Wahoo Snap vs Kicker or Hammer ? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
I use a (wheel on) Kickr Snap and leave my bike on there for weeks at a time. It's pretty fool proof. I pump the rear tyre back up to 100psi every few days to keep it consistent and calibrate it (which takes about a minute) every time i have taken the bike off for an outdoor ride, or just every few days if i can be bothered. I use Trainer Road and Zwift and it works great. Wouldn't swap it for anything.

I second this, I use the Kickr Snap as well, and while I can only compare it to a 'dumb' trainer, so far it hasnt been an issue and my bike lives on the trainer.

I even went so far as to get a refurbished one from Wahoo, was $100 cheaper with the same warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SNAP > Magnus - SNAP has a bigger flywheel and better ride feel. Unless the Magnus is a lot cheaper than the SNAP, go the SNAP.

Kickr / Hammer - Very similar units in regard to ride feel. The Kickr is a little quicker (at this point) with transitions in SIM mode. This could change with firmware/software.... maybe.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your bike has horizontal dropouts, I would get a wheel-on trainer. Otherwise, go for the direct drive.

I used a Kinetic Road Machine and loved it. No issues, and it was dumb. I am now on a Kickr, and it is pretty cool. But, hassling with the horizontal dropouts is a world-class buzz kill. If I had it to do again, I would probably get a Cycleops Magnus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a used Kickr and couldn't be happier. The huge flywheel provides a great inertial 'feel' that I just couldn't seem to get with more traditional trainers (tacx vortex smart, KK fluid, cyclops fluid, tacx satori).

I would also love to try the Tacx Neo (quiter than the kickr) and Elite Drivo if they ever come up on the market.

(n=1) I'd say the kickr is worth the money!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kickr or Hammer are really neck and neck in terms of quality and performance, you really get into the minutia when looking at the differences...If I have a Wahoo computer, I'm going with the Kickr hand's down.

The Hammer may be a better option if you have a thru-axle bike, but most haven't gone that way yet so I'm assuming you don't have one.

For a wheel on trainer, SNAP hand's down, recent update to the SNAP improved it's accuracy as well.
Quote Reply