Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any YouTube Videos how to install DI2 on a Trek Speed Concept?
Quote | Reply
I have not been able to find any Youtube videos that show how to install DI2 Ultegra on a Speed Concept. I have a local shop that offered to install it for $170 dollars which I feel is reasonable, but my main concern is the bike shop where I bought mine, broke a lot of parts by over torquing the bolts. i.e, brake cover cracked, steering stem tightened way too tight. So if anybody here can point me to a good video how to install DI2 on a Trek Speed Concept would appreciate it
Quote Reply
Re: Any YouTube Videos how to install DI2 on a Trek Speed Concept? [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is very easy to be honest. there is a nice manual that trek put out on the bike.

170 is not bad to be honest

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Any YouTube Videos how to install DI2 on a Trek Speed Concept? [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Di2 group set? Which battery? Which Speed Concept?

It's reasonably easy if you've got the right bits. As above there is a service manual out there for mk1 and mk2.

Enjoy.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://trek.scene7.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf

Service manual above.

If your shop can't even put together a speed concept without braking all those parts you mentioned, do you really think they can install di2 correctly?

My advice.... install it yourself. It's not hard.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ck21trhc thanks for the input! The manual seems pretty decent but the couple of things it leaves out, it seems to assume you already have a basic understanding of component. I am so bike upgrade/repair illiterate, what do I do for instance with the shifter cables? Does the manual show how to remove the brake cable? My Local bike shop was trying to deter me from undertaking this step and swore up and down I would not be able to handle that part of the process....hmmmmm

But yes $170 seems reasonable but they told me they have to order a special battery mount and said the one that is available by DI2 won't work on a Speed Concept, not sure if I can buy that but it is $15

SkippyKitten, wow you are going to freak, but I bought a leftover 2014 I believe, the aerobars are wide and it is the 2nd generation as was told. It is I believe 7.0 or 7.5. I upgraded the bars to Trek's integrated, I got rid of the 105 and put Ultegra 6870 I believe, and then I put zipp 808's but recently changed them to Zipp Disc. I pasted the photo of my Trek below. I just bought HED3 Plus but the dealer whom I bought it from was a bit shoddy as they didn't have it in stock but charged my credit card anyway in spite of the fact it is back ordered. So I am not sure what my Trek is, does this quality for the 9 series?...lol ...I should have gone with Dura Ace but I don't race and felt it was just rediculous what they want for it. As for which DI2, I got the Ulegra 6870 from Ebay for $900 and the only thing I was told by my dealer who I plan on having it installed was to make sure you order everything "internal." The battery charger is inside the bike as well. I got the 3 hole module for front since I do not plan on ever putting bar shifters.

stevej thanks for the manual. I definitely wasn't going back to the same dealer I bought mine from but they sold me the 7.5 back in 2014 for $2100 so it was too hard to pass up. But I found a different Trek store that seems to be much more knowledgeable and has worked on more SC then anybody else. I do believe if I could find a good youtube video I can do it but just using a shop manual I don't feel as confident. why a youtube video does not exist seems puzzling because you can literally find anything on youtube to do anything I once thought but seems like a lot of folks who do DI2 themselves on a Trek probably don't want to take the time. And no I would never take it back to my original dealer as they did over tighten many bolts and I don't think I want to go through more chances of cracked parts. I do think their techs are good but they just don't take the time to make sure they are being gentle.

A little off topic but I am disappointed that Trek has not come out with something as slick as Diamondback's new Andean. I really like the looks of that bike but heard it is like a sail in the wind. Diamondback claims that is the fastest bike ever, but then again don't all bike makers boast the same? I was about to buy that but the deal breaker is I just bought Zipp Disc and it's a rim brake system where the Andean uses disc roters and I also don't like HED's disc.I like zipp's better. although I am getting their front tri spoke wheel. It would be nice if Trek came out with a new design or is the SC that good that they don't need to? Just how well does the SC stack up to some of the best TT bikes on the market?

Last edited by: marathonrunner: Jul 25, 17 1:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek isn't coming out with a new bike anytime soon. It's one of the fastest bikes out there and is very competitive with the p5 in aero testing.

See trek white paper: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Whitepaper_final.pdf

The specialized shiv is a few years older than the speed concept and I think the p5 is a year older. Don't expect a new trek anytime soon.

If you need a video on how to remove a shifter cable, then I would suggest having your lbs do the work. Your lbs is right that you need a special bracket from trek to mount the internal battery. That bracket will only work on a 9 series seatpost (Carbon) and from the looks of your bike, you have a 7 series. So you will need the 9 series seatpost (which is carbon unlike the 7 series) as well.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Any YouTube Videos how to install DI2 on a Trek Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Trek isn't coming out with a new bike anytime soon. It's one of the fastest bikes out there and is very competitive with the p5 in aero testing.

See trek white paper: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Whitepaper_final.pdf

The specialized shiv is a few years older than the speed concept and I think the p5 is a year older. Don't expect a new trek anytime soon.

If you need a video on how to remove a shifter cable, then I would suggest having your lbs do the work. Your lbs is right that you need a special bracket from trek to mount the internal battery. That bracket will only work on a 9 series seatpost (Carbon) and from the looks of your bike, you have a 7 series. So you will need the 9 series seatpost (which is carbon unlike the 7 series) as well.

Thanks! There seems to be many knowledgeable folks like you who are very keen on gears and cycling. I wished I would have taken this sport up sooner as I was primarily a runner my entire life but feel like I missed out. But it feels good to know Trek came out with a bike that can hold onto its own among the best. The Andean however is really sweet looking however but until there are more reviews and side by side comparison and they come out with rim brake as disc I think for time trial is not needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bike looks good.... no need to change to diamondback...

you will love Di2 if you ride alot of varying terrain.
Quote Reply
Re: Any YouTube Videos how to install DI2 on a Trek Speed Concept? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
bike looks good.... no need to change to diamondback...

you will love Di2 if you ride alot of varying terrain.

I agree 100% and glad I just placed the order for DI2. I don't race so it was hard to justify spending $900 dollars but I think it will definitely make my Trek better. Also, not having seen the Andean, I cannot say if the bike looks just as sweet as it does in pictures nor could I know how it rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was going to message you "marathonrunner" but...GOOD LUCK at IM CDA! Go crush it!
Quote Reply