Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Well, have gone through my bike, and I cannot say heat from braking had anything to do with what happened.

I found a hole in the intertube, and a mark by this location in the tire, so I just have to assume it happened while taking the bike back into T2. This makes more
sense since I have had front flats in the past and once that happened, the bike was unstable and I was done riding.

Since my zipp disc seemed to move side to side a little, I took the axel out and did not see anything funny. Screwed the end cap onto the axel and put back on the bike. No more side to side movement. Took it for a ride and felt nothing funny. So all I can guess is with the real rough road in the race, it caused the zipp rear disc to loosen up a little and it made funny noises. Guess will just ride it again in my next race in 2 weeks and see what happens. Disappointing since I was having a good bike for me and lost a good 2 minutes taking the last mile so slow. Oh well, another day to battle.

But, still going to keep my eyes open for new bikes. But, still not looking like anything at a decent price in the near future.

cool beans.... get some sturdy skewers.. like Dura Ace... I use those on my 808/Super9 combo... the wacky light stuff like extralite streeters get saved for the road bike. I've done some nasty descents on carbon clinchers... think Levi's gran fondo.. many climbs in and around the bay area. I think the hottest I've ever got rims was the descent the metal bridge at Levi's..I actually stopped to feel them..
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Brakes - all they do is slow ya down.

Good rim brakes (I have the Magura hydraulics) on alloy rims is more than sufficient braking, in pretty much any conditions.
The contact patch of skinny road tires is a greater limiter than the brake/rim interface, assuming you have good pads in good condition.

Perhaps if you rode outdoors more than just on raceday, you'd be a more confident bike handler and not have to overbrake so much?
There's a lot more to riding a bike than pedaling it - but that's the only bike skill you ever choose to train.

Sweeney's suggestion is a good one, and the least spendy fix for your needs, as 70-90% of your braking comes from the F wheel anyway, and even a crappy R brake (the P4's excepted) can easily lock up the R tire, even when the rims are wet.

You don't need a new bike. It's not the solution for the problems you're encountering.
But any excuse to buy a new bike is a good one! So enjoy some P = n + 1.

Yep, I might be better. But I also might be done racing from a bike accident. I just do not like to ride my bike outside. Too boring. Would rather work on my house. Play with my trains. Run races with my grandkids pushing them in strollers or pulling during the swim in a kayak.

So I get it. Some like to bike. Some like to swim. Some like to run.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Brakes - all they do is slow ya down.

Good rim brakes (I have the Magura hydraulics) on alloy rims is more than sufficient braking, in pretty much any conditions.
The contact patch of skinny road tires is a greater limiter than the brake/rim interface, assuming you have good pads in good condition.

Perhaps if you rode outdoors more than just on raceday, you'd be a more confident bike handler and not have to overbrake so much?
There's a lot more to riding a bike than pedaling it - but that's the only bike skill you ever choose to train.

Sweeney's suggestion is a good one, and the least spendy fix for your needs, as 70-90% of your braking comes from the F wheel anyway, and even a crappy R brake (the P4's excepted) can easily lock up the R tire, even when the rims are wet.

You don't need a new bike. It's not the solution for the problems you're encountering.
But any excuse to buy a new bike is a good one! So enjoy some P = n + 1.

Yep, I might be better. But I also might be done racing from a bike accident. I just do not like to ride my bike outside. Too boring. Would rather work on my house. Play with my trains. Run races with my grandkids pushing them in strollers or pulling during the swim in a kayak.

So I get it. Some like to bike. Some like to swim. Some like to run.

You ride your Velotron like 6-7 days a week, for 1-1.5 hours at a pop, but think that outside riding is boring?
Mmm-kay.

You also might be done racing from a bike accident in a race, that having greater bike skills would have helped you avoid.
There's no magic "I won't have an accident because I'm in a race" app or incantation.

"It's the Indian, not the arrow"
You could have the best arrow known to mankind, but your Indian is still lacking.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
Isn't something like 90% of your stopping power from the front wheel during hard braking?

On a road/tri bike in the dry, the front wheel will produce 100% of your stopping power.
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Due to neck and back issues from a car accident in the fall, I've done 99% of my bike training on the trainer. I'm really getting tired of it but in the four races, 2 olympic and 2 sprint, that I've done this year I've gotten excellent results. I wouldn't want to train indoors for a long course race. And I would never show up at AZ without having a ton of real life hills in my legs. But for short course races, I find the trainer to be fine training and a time saver.

Since most of my rides have been inside, it's amazing to me how much I feel it in my upper arms and shoulders when I do get to ride outside. Yes, there's more to riding than just the legs.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
Dave,

I'm in the same boat (or bike) as you. i did HITS Napa earlier this year and had to stop due to dangerous braking in wet hilly conditions.

I would love a non-super bike option, but right now the only options are Cervelo P5X, which is crazy expensive, the Diamondback Andean, which is less, but still expensive and heavy which is tough on hills but fast aerodynamically and the Parlee TTIR which is fast and similar in price to Andean and i am test riding one Thursday.

i thought about modifying my existing bike, but doesn't seem as safe. i also thought about a road bike and putting on a Tririg Alpha X, but the geometry isn't ideal.

i suspect cannondale and canyon are coming out with disc brake tri bikes in next few months. specialized might too. boardman, cube, bmc, giant, trek and others are definitely not and there is no chinese manufacturer that makes a disc brake frame. i have looked around because i only want a disc brake tri bike (flame me if you want) and am frustrated with limited options.

i will be getting something this winter to replace my 2004 bike frame and if it is the parlee, ill be happy but my wife may be pissed at what it costs.

I hear you. I have been caught in rain doing HITS Napa also, and a few other races. Was no fun.

The Parlee TTIR looks like a real nice bike. You can use options to put pretty much anything on it you want. P5X too expensive. Andean looks ugly. I just want a simple frame which is easy to work on like my Cervelo P2. So, am interested in how your test ride goes. Since I ride a 61 P2, not sure there frames would be big enough for me at 6'5 What prices with what options are you looking at?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

all i can tell you on sizing is i am 5'10" and i size to a M leaving the ML and L for folks bigger than me and making me guess that a L would fit you, but if you know your stack and reach, Parlee has a very detailed sizing chart on their website.

I'm a bike mechanic and am going to do my own build. im going to do a 1x setup with sram wifli etap, a wolftooth 50t chainring, lightening crank, and blade x wheels. I'm waiting for sram and trp hydraulic brakes to hit the market (both have been announced) and will decide between them.

are you in sacramento? im headed that way on November 4th for the 100 mile Rio del lago race as a pacer for a couple buddies.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
Dave,

all i can tell you on sizing is i am 5'10" and i size to a M leaving the ML and L for folks bigger than me and making me guess that a L would fit you, but if you know your stack and reach, Parlee has a very detailed sizing chart on their website.

I'm a bike mechanic and am going to do my own build. im going to do a 1x setup with sram wifli etap, a wolftooth 50t chainring, lightening crank, and blade x wheels. I'm waiting for sram and trp hydraulic brakes to hit the market (both have been announced) and will decide between them.

are you in sacramento? im headed that way on November 4th for the 100 mile Rio del lago race as a pacer for a couple buddies.

Will have to do a check.

Those are all the first class parts I am looking at, but in compact 50/34 11/32

I agree let's see the new brakes. If I buy, I sure want the latest stuff since the season is pretty close to being done for this year.

I am an hour east of Sacramento, between grass valley and auburn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a newbie to cycling but I didn't want to waste any time with upgrading since I'm nearing 50 and wanted to make no excuses regarding not having better race equipment. The goal being kona.
Long story short I bought a parlee ttir and have no regrets. Especially because that's the only bike I found with everything I read that a race bike should have and more importantly was the best fitting I tried.
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [LateEntry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LateEntry wrote:
I'm a newbie to cycling but I didn't want to waste any time with upgrading since I'm nearing 50 and wanted to make no excuses regarding not having better race equipment. The goal being kona.
Long story short I bought a parlee ttir and have no regrets. Especially because that's the only bike I found with everything I read that a race bike should have and more importantly was the best fitting I tried.

Great to hear!

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
. I'm new to triathlons so I tried to stay away from super bikes but parlee was the only bike only tri bike on the island that fit. I have no regrets, especially when all the other customers in the bike shop and the staffs of course was telling me that I bought the best bike in the shop.
Quote Reply

Prev Next