Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn)
Quote | Reply
I remember it like it was yesterday, even though I was just a young boy of 7. Back then, we lived near the far northern border of southwest Detroit, on 18th Street, not all that far from the initial incident on 12th Street that touched off the days of rage that followed (a police raid on a purported after-hours gambling joint known as a 'blind pig').

Soon enough, we had the National Guard and active US Army troops camping in our nearby neighborhood park, cops and firefighters everywhere, a strictly enforced city wide curfew and more trouble than you could imagine. My dad and his brothers, all armed -- one with an honest-to-God zip gun -- sat on our porch through several nights, just to make sure no passing rioters decided to make an example of the house he'd painstakingly saved up for as a journeyman construction ironworker.

By the time the riot was over, 43 people were dead and 342 more injured. More than 1,400 buildings were put to the torch by rioters, and the event signaled the beginning of the end for Motown, the engine of industry and prosperity for those lucky enough to get jobs in one of its many factories.

In the 1960 to 1970 time period, for example, city population ranged from nearly 1.7 million people in 1960 to 1.51 million in 1970. As of 2016, a city originally built to house nearly 2 million people had a population of only 672,795. White flight to the suburbs, urban crime that's legendary at times, a series of hammer blows to the once-dominant auto industry which has left it a pale imitation of what it once was in the Motor City, a wave of drug epidemics that struck hard at the working middle class and the poor, acute past corruption by a political class, including several mayors and their machine cronies...you name it, and Detroit has suffered from it.

1967 Detroit Riots

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we're the same age, I too remember those times; the photos are difficult to look at. My town (Kansas City) burned the following year. Those memories scarred me enough to leave town for good. My little sister still lives in town and conditions in Kansas City have mimicked Detroit with population loss. At one point, no place made more cars on Earth than Kansas City...except Detroit. Many of those jobs are now gone.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was 12 at the time, but lived in Sterling Heights around 15 Mile Road and Van Dyke. I have no recollection of the riots, but my wife tells me I can't remember anything.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn) [TriHard Indiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriHard Indiana wrote:
I was 12 at the time, but lived in Sterling Heights around 15 Mile Road and Van Dyke. I have no recollection of the riots, but my wife tells me I can't remember anything.

Living down where we did back in the day, we got to see a lot of the foolishness up close and personal. Once the riots were finally put down, we drove around and surveyed the aftermath. Lots of burnt-out buildings, including shops and stores and businesses of course. I mean, what riot would be complete without the de rigueur looting and thieving and arson? ;-)

After the Tigers won the World Series in 1968, we moved farther south and east in to Southwest Detroit, trading increasingly larger houses over the next several years until we were nearly on the border between Detroit and Dearborn. That's how we dealt with the gradual deterioration of Motown; continually looking for as stable a neighborhood as we could find. Which we finally did in 1974. My parents stayed there until 2003, when they finally moved to a southern suburb down the I-75 corridor south of Motown.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Childhood memories of from the 60's. Growing up in Western NY, I would spend an hour every day checking out the box scores in the afternoon paper. The riots in Detroit didn't register with me nearly as much as the AL pennant race between the Red Sox, White Sox, Twins, and Tigers. (Back before divisions and wild cards.) I still remember having to wait for the paper to find out that the Tigers had lost their final game, allowing the Red Sox to win the AL pennant.

Of course 1968 was magic for the Tigers. McClain's 30 wins and Lolich leading them past Gibson and the Cards. I guess the city was on a downhill trajectory by then. But I was too young/shallow to realize what was happening in parts of the US.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Childhood memories of from the 60's. Growing up in Western NY, I would spend an hour every day checking out the box scores in the afternoon paper. The riots in Detroit didn't register with me nearly as much as the AL pennant race between the Red Sox, White Sox, Twins, and Tigers. (Back before divisions and wild cards.) I still remember having to wait for the paper to find out that the Tigers had lost their final game, allowing the Red Sox to win the AL pennant.

Of course 1968 was magic for the Tigers. McClain's 30 wins and Lolich leading them past Gibson and the Cards. I guess the city was on a downhill trajectory by then. But I was too young/shallow to realize what was happening in parts of the US.

In some ways, that '68 run by the Tigers helped to tamp down some of the still-simmering resentments felt in many neighborhoods in Motown and gave the city a few more years of breathing room, so to speak. From around '72 and through the 80s, however, the long, slow decline became inevitable. The '84 World Series win by the Tigers (their last up to this date, by the way) did little to stanch the bleeding. You can view the videos of the after-win rioting near the old Tiger Stadium area, including of overturned cop cars.

By 1988, when the city saw a record number of arson-originated fires on the night before Halloween -- that evening around here is called "Devil's Night" and it was a tradition in our youth to TP neighbors' trees or soap their cars' windows...but I have no idea how the idea of torching a garage or a house that night got started -- the writing was on the wall, a couple of well-meaning mayors (Dennis Archer, local NBA legend Dave Bing) notwithstanding.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a racist. It was an uprising, not a riot. NPR has told me so approximately 107 times over the last 5 days.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn) [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
You're a racist. It was an uprising, not a riot. NPR has told me so approximately 107 times over the last 5 days.

Yeah, I forgot. I guess when furniture and TV stores get looted it's an uprising and when supermarkets are looted it's only a riot. Hey, what if all three store types are looted and then burned? Is that a riotous uprising? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
stal wrote:

Yeah, I forgot. I guess when furniture and TV stores get looted it's an uprising and when supermarkets are looted it's only a riot. Hey, what if all three store types are looted and then burned? Is that a riotous uprising? ;-)

As the head of the 8 mile association said during her NPR interview...the looting was from white and Hispanic folks from out of town. This quote is a matter of fact not hyperbole.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn) [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
stal wrote:

As the head of the 8 mile association said during her NPR interview...the looting was from white and Hispanic folks from out of town. This quote is a matter of fact not hyperbole.

Oh, I agree with that totally. Initially, whites in the neighborhood began the looting -- and many of those stores were owned by fellow whites -- followed by a lot of Mexicans (there were no such things as "Hispanics" in Detroit back then: you were either a Mexican or a Spic to most white folks), believe me. We knew a lot of those people. It wasn't until that really took off that blacks figured they might as well get theirs, too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Gordie Howe get suspended?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

People can only take so much before they snap, eh? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BLeP wrote:

People can only take so much before they snap, eh? ;-)

You can take away our guns, you can take away some of our free speech BUT DON'T YOU DARE TAKE AWAY THE ROCKET!!!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're mistaken. 1967 was the Summer of Love and Don Draper wrote a jingle that taught the world to sing... in perfect harmony.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here this should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE_Om13VpQw

Quote Reply
Re: 50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn) [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
here this should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE_Om13VpQw

Hahahahahaha! All I remember that week is there were a lot of people -- white, black and brown -- who made sure they got new furniture and TVs for their homes or apartments. Food? Not so much. Nobody touched the Buy-Lo and A&P and Great Scott supermarkets. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a more serious note what do you think could have been done to prevent the whole episode? I heard a guy on WJR this morning saying that the mayor controlled the police dept and he ordered them to stand down initially thinking I guess it would burn out. He was saying if the police tried to establish order quickly it wouldn't have happened. Home ownership rates by blacks in Detroit were higher than many other parts of the states and relations between the black community and white community were not worse in Detroit than many other places? Employment was relatively high as well. So why did this happen in Detroit?. It certainly started a long slide downhill.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: 50 Years Ago Today, the Detroit Riots Began (Burn, Baby Burn) [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
On a more serious note what do you think could have been done to prevent the whole episode? I heard a guy on WJR this morning saying that the mayor controlled the police dept and he ordered them to stand down initially thinking I guess it would burn out. He was saying if the police tried to establish order quickly it wouldn't have happened. Home ownership rates by blacks in Detroit were higher than many other parts of the states and relations between the black community and white community were not worse in Detroit than many other places? Employment was relatively high as well. So why did this happen in Detroit?. It certainly started a long slide downhill.

Jerome Cavanagh was the Democratic mayor of the city of Detroit during the riots. Initially thought of by voters as another JFK, it was his actions (or inaction) during the riots that doomed his reputation. Cavanagh -- who by today's standards would be considered a progressive -- rode into office in 1961, in fact, owing to his support from Motown's black community. He was also relatively young, being 33 when he took office in 1962 and only 38 when the riots started.

By that year, white flight to the suburbs was already well underway and car makers were building new auto plants in those suburbs, leading to financial troubles for the city from loss of part of its tax base. He also inherited a $28 million budget gap in 1962, something that he dealt with by pushing through the state legislature an income tax as well as a commuter tax, both of which exist to this day. He deemed those taxes necessary to pay for a number of social programs he wanted implemented.

Cavanagh's police force was also almost completely white. I believe that only about 50 of its officers in 1967 were black or of another minority group. And Motown for years had been dogged by accusations that its police engaged in widespread abuse of the citizenry it was charged with protecting, most particularly among the city's minority communities. Cavanagh had proved largely unable to reform the force during his time in office leading up to the riots, something that would haunt him during the days of rage as well as in their aftermath.

Eisenhower's interstate highway system was also largely completed by 1967, and it ringed the Motor City and ran through it, allowing people to move out of town much more easily and to commute into it for jobs. All these developments, which Cavanagh either was powerless to deal with or refused to deal with, combined to make the long, hot summer of 1967 a tinderbox that only needed a spark to set it ablaze. The police raid on that after-hours gambling joint on 12th street on July 23 of that year provided that spark.

Once the riots took off in earnest, Cavanagh's natural sympathies toward the black community -- laudable, of course -- took over and he did in fact issue a series of orders to his police department that echoed former Democratic Baltimore mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake's in 2015, during that city's own riots after the death of a black man named Freddie Gray, who was fatally injured while in police custody. She'd been noted on the record as requiring her own police forces to give rioters 'space to destroy' and while Cavanagh never said anything as explicit as Blake's remarks about rioters his actions were just as powerful.

Cavanagh felt that a large police presence, needed in order to quell the beginnings of the riot on 12th Street, would have just made things worse, so he largely handcuffed his police force, ordering Detroit Police Department commanders to pull officers back and to stay as low-key as possible. The riot lasted for five days and has been adjudged to have been the worst of the approximate 400 riots that the nation experienced in the 1960s. He was lambasted and bitterly criticized by all sides -- including the black community, many of whose members lost homes and businesses to rioters -- for his failure to act decisively.

Cavanagh declined in 1969 to run for reelection, owing almost completely to his failure to properly handle the 1967 riot -- which was only quelled after Army and National Guard troops were finally sent in (some 17,000 of them). He left office in 1970 after the end of his term, his political career and hopes of future national office in ruins, much as the city over which he presided was left in ruins in July, 1967.

Quote Reply