Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stand Mixers
Quote | Reply
I 'may' have ruined my wife's bazillion year old Oster Kitchen Center to the point of being non functional. I'm sleeping on the the couch tonight...

Is the KitchenAid stand mixer really the only good choice? Cause holy shit, the attachments seem a tad bit pricey.
Quote Reply
Re: Stand Mixers [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure there are others. We have a kitchen aid, it's good. We don't really have any attachments for it though.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is the right tool for the job. Some of the attachments made from a combo of plastic and metal do not hold up. I only use the barrel slicer for really big jobs and occasionally the meat grinder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have the 600 version (professional). There are others, but Kitchen Aid is the standard all the others aspire to meet.

We also have the food processor, the refrigerator, the double gas oven, the microwave, and the multi-cooker. Their stuff is a little addicting for some women, so be careful.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I 'may' have ruined my wife's bazillion year old Oster Kitchen Center to the point of being non functional. I'm sleeping on the the couch tonight...

Is the KitchenAid stand mixer really the only good choice? Cause holy shit, the attachments seem a tad bit pricey.
yes

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two levels of Kitchenaid mixers. The standard one has plastic gears that won't hold up. You need to get the twice as expensive Professional 600 mixer if you want to make her happy.

My wife says ''don't get the Artisen model, get the Classic or Pro'' She also asks how did you wreck the Oster?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Stand Mixers [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
There are two levels of Kitchenaid mixers. The standard one has plastic gears that won't hold up. You need to get the twice as expensive Professional 600 mixer if you want to make her happy.

My wife says ''don't get the Artisen model, get the Classic or Pro'' She also asks how did you wreck the Oster?

+1 if she bakes a lot. My wife wore out the standard kitchen aid plastic gears in less than 5 years. We upgraded to the pro and it should last a long time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 years ago when we got one for a wedding gift they were supposed to be. But I couldn't tell you because it's sat on the counter unused.
If you lived nearby I'd ask the wife if I could sell it to you. Pretty sure we have all the attachments except pasta roller

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you 'maybe' ruin it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

Yes. I bought mine in 1989 and it's still going strong. Just used it the other day to grind brisket and short ribs for burgers; use it to mix bread dough all the time.

Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

I 'may' have dropped the mixer attachment.(well okay, it self jettisoned after I failed to latch it properly) The plastic around the rear latch is busted. Looks the the metal frame is still okay though. I also agree, the one thing that jumped out at me when researching the was the mixers, the Artisan is definitely low end. We need something that can mix 12-14 cups of stiff dough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kitchen Aid is great but Oster works just as good. I have had one for over twenty years that does what I need except for clean itself.

Quote | Reply
The one I've damaged is over 30 years old. There's a draft in the house...
Quote Reply
Re: Stand Mixers [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

Yes. I bought mine in 1989 and it's still going strong. Just used it the other day to grind brisket and short ribs for burgers; use it to mix bread dough all the time.

Yep. Mines about that old too. Crank style - what's now the professional.

If you want something really unique and great, look for an old machine when they were still owned by Hobart (Whirlpool bought them in 86). The old K series mixers were great, all cast iron/steel, totally rebuildable, and everything is still available. Modern attachments work on old machines too.
Quote Reply
Re: Stand Mixers [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
spot wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

I

Yep. Mines about that old too. Crank style - what's now the professional.

If you want something really unique and great, look for an old machine when they were still owned by Hobart (Whirlpool bought them in 86). The old K series mixers were great, all cast iron/steel, totally rebuildable, and everything is still available. Modern attachments work on old machines too.

Yup. Have a K5SS. Small beast. Didn't know they made some with plastic internals now. That sucks. Make sure to get 2 bowls
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can recommend a Thermomix, but I do not know how easy it is to get one in the US. This thing is like a KitchenAid but also heats up, cools down, steams food etc. and comes with a built in digital cookbook and built in scale so you can't screw it up.

http://thermomix.vorwerk.com/home/
Quote Reply
Re: Stand Mixers [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That thing looks sweet, I think I'll go with the 60 month financing, for the price I'm sure I'll be happy paying for a mixer for 5 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Stand Mixers [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually in Canada, they are available but I'm sure at $1935 for a mixer I may as well replace the couch with a good day bed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently, some people drink their mixer straight.

https://www.google.com/...mp;spf=1500939934627
Quote Reply
Re: Stand Mixers [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:

They obviously went to a different biz skool than the Shimano folks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Amazon has the Kitchen Air Pro 5 mixer for $225 right now. We got ours he last time the price dropped below $200 and jumped on it. Its more than beefy enough for bread, pizza dough and stable on the counter while doing so. It gives away 50 watts to the more expensive Pro 6 models but I don't think that is enough to justify the additional $200 the 6 costs.
Quote Reply