Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Program Advice Please - Blending Trainer Road
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance! I am doing IM Texas next April and am reviewing training plans etc.

For background ... In 2013 at IMTX I went 11:22 with a 1:18 swim, 5:48 bike, 4:04 run. I utilized the tri fuel 36 week Ironman plan and was pleased-http://www.trifuel.com/...on/ironman-workouts/

I have roughly 10-12 hours a week to train. I'm confident my biggest gains will come on the bike. What programs would you suggest? Thoughts on trainer road? Thoughts on blending trainer road with Run Less Run Faster. My body responded well with that program for a recent marathon.
Last edited by: thunderdouble: Jul 23, 17 5:39
Quote Reply
Re: Training Program Advice Please - Blending Trainer Road [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That should work.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Program Advice Please - Blending Trainer Road [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at Trainer Road's triathlon specific programs? They include swim and run workouts as well (though they're easy to overlook).
Quote Reply
Re: Training Program Advice Please - Blending Trainer Road [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you had any success with Trainer Road Tri programs? Based off my available training hours I would like be in one of their more low volume high intensity programs. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a short-course guy so I'm not sure how much my experience will translate to your situation and your goals but I'll take a stab at it: I've gone through the high-volume sprint triathlon build and specialty blocks twice now (well... coming to the end of my second block in a few weeks). For base work I've always just done unstructured training in the winter. I've followed the swim and bike portions of the TR plan pretty religiously with the exception that every Saturday I try to do an open water swim. I'm an injury prone runner so I ditched TR's run plan for the BarryP run plan and I've set up my week so that my bike workouts correspond with "easy/recovery" BarryP runs.

The other thing I've done is that, for the sake of time efficiency, I combine a lot of workouts. Days that I bike I run first straight out of bed, then hop on the bike when I get back to the house, then fix breakfast, take a shower, and I'm on with my day like a normal human. I feel like for every workout there's a "setup" period of changing, showering eating, etc. On Saturday after my open water swim I transition straight into my running clothes as quickly as possible. By combining workouts I feel like I save 2-3 hours of time per week. As an aside, I run before I bike because, again, I'm injury prone and I've theorized that running on fresh legs will make me less likely to get injured (so far it's working knock on wood). It might not be optimum or ideal for everyone but, so far, it works for *me*.

It's worked well for me IMO. There was an article on the front page of ST back in May about one of the ST writers who did IMTX on the TR low volume 140.6 plan and it worked well for him.
Quote Reply