Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Initial Investigation: Navy at Fault in USS Fitzgerald Collision
Quote | Reply
"Preliminary findings in the investigation into the collision between the USS Fitzgerald and a Philippine cargo ship off the coast of Japan in June suggest the accident was caused by multiple errors by the Fitzgerald's crew and a failure to take action in the minutes leading to the collision, according to two defense officials. "They did nothing until the last second," one official said. "A slew of things went wrong." A second official said the crash "will wind up being our (the US Navy's) fault."

The actions taken (or not taken) by the Navy guided missile destroyer's crew are what has many Navy people scratching their heads, especially given that the damage to the ship was located amidships along the starboard, or right, side of the hull and the superstructure to below the waterline. Normally, one would expect to see damage sustained on the port side in a more "traditional" collision between two ships at sea.

Let me also stipulate that I am most definitely NOT the expert when it comes to Navy ships operating at sea. That would be Mr. Slowguy. So his expertise on this latest development is most valued at this juncture.

Initial investigation blames Navy for USS Fitzgerald collision - CNNPolitics.com

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Initial Investigation: Navy at Fault in USS Fitzgerald Collision [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm not sure there's much actual new development here. Some un-named sources have made a pretty general statement, regarding a preliminary inquiry which doesn't constitute the full findings of a completed investigation.

As I said in the original thread, I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which FITZGERALD would not be found to be at fault to some degree. I have an equally difficult time imagining a scenario in which the merchant vessel is not found at fault to some degree. No matter what the situation, the rules don't allow the merchant vessel to just plow right into another ship.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Initial Investigation: Navy at Fault in USS Fitzgerald Collision [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im not a expert either,but i've stood a shit ton mid watches and whole lot of things do and dont happen on the mid watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Initial Investigation: Navy at Fault in USS Fitzgerald Collision [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I'm totally out of my lane but I find it hard to believe that the Fitzgerald would not have appropriate crew on the bridge, OTOH I've heard more than one story where civilian vessels turn on the autopilot and key crew members seem to have been on a "smoke break" at a critical moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Initial Investigation: Navy at Fault in USS Fitzgerald Collision [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote a bit about how this could happen, and what crews and systems might be in play on a Navy or merchant ship, back in the original thread. I don't want to repeat it all here.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_of_Japan_P6339534/

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply