Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: % FTP for "40k" (39.5k) [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Entertaining to see you still don't get it
---

You realize that he's quoting the TP article, right?

And that, I think, is the big issue.

You have a dozen plus publications (print and internet) all saying it's one thing. And then you have everyone and their brother reading those things and regurgitating them. And then you have the actual "experts" coming in and saying, "no, that's not right" and when you actually produce those things saying that you get called out for being wrong. It's all a big comedy routine!

You just have to laugh about it.
Quote Reply
Re: % FTP for "40k" (39.5k) [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
State TT Champs is coming up soon, and unlike prior years where the event has been fun aside, cycling has been a focus and the event is my primary target for the year. If I want to optimize my power strategy given a goal time in the 53' - 54' range, should I be shooting for 102%-103% FTP? Target FTP and raise effort level the last 10-15 minutes based on how I feel? The course is quite flat (450ft gain/loss) with consistent tree covering and good roads.

Thanks for the feedback!

What are you power numbers in key workouts leading up to the race? How long can you ride at 100% FTP? Testing is a guideline for training and racing, make sure to adjust based on what you experience in workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: % FTP for "40k" (39.5k) [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
Entertaining to see you still don't get it
---

You realize that he's quoting the TP article, right?

And that, I think, is the big issue.

You have a dozen plus publications (print and internet) all saying it's one thing. And then you have everyone and their brother reading those things and regurgitating them. And then you have the actual "experts" coming in and saying, "no, that's not right" and when you actually produce those things saying that you get called out for being wrong. It's all a big comedy routine!

You just have to laugh about it.

No wonder Trev is confused.

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: % FTP for "40k" (39.5k) [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Quantum wrote:
State TT Champs is coming up soon, and unlike prior years where the event has been fun aside, cycling has been a focus and the event is my primary target for the year. If I want to optimize my power strategy given a goal time in the 53' - 54' range, should I be shooting for 102%-103% FTP? Target FTP and raise effort level the last 10-15 minutes based on how I feel? The course is quite flat (450ft gain/loss) with consistent tree covering and good roads.

Thanks for the feedback!

What are you power numbers in key workouts leading up to the race? How long can you ride at 100% FTP? Testing is a guideline for training and racing, make sure to adjust based on what you experience in workouts.

" How long can you ride at 100% FTP?"

Do you mean TTE ( Time To Exhaustion ) in WKO4 as in how long you can ride at mFTP?

Or are you asking how long one can ride at FTP which might be average power over a 40k TT or the power you can maintain in a semi quasi steady state for approx 60 minutes +\- 13 minutes, or power at MLSS which could be maintained for anything from 30 minutes to 70 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: % FTP for "40k" (39.5k) [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
Quantum wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

" How long can you ride at 100% FTP?"

Do you mean TTE ( Time To Exhaustion ) in WKO4 as in how long you can ride at mFTP?

Or are you asking how long one can ride at FTP which might be average power over a 40k TT or the power you can maintain in a semi quasi steady state for approx 60 minutes +\- 13 minutes, or power at MLSS which could be maintained for anything from 30 minutes to 70 minutes?

Don't get bogged down in trolling...

I mean how long can the OP ride at the wattage that he has identified as his FTP. If he hasn't done long segments at ftp, what wattages is he holding for interval sessions or hard tempo rides? It's called training and reviewing your training data.
Quote Reply
Re: % FTP for "40k" (39.5k) [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knowing how long he can ride at the wattage he has identified as his FTP is not very useful without also knowing how he has estimated his FTP.

What do you mean by ' long segments at FTP', do you mean 30 minutes, 40 minutes, 50 minutes, 60 minutes, 70 minutes?
Last edited by: Trev: Jul 24, 17 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jul 24, 17 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
Knowing how long he can ride at the wattage he has identified as his FTP is not very useful without also knowing how he has estimated his FTP.

What do you mean by ' long segments at FTP', do you mean 30 minutes, 40 minutes, 50 minutes, 60 minutes, 70 minutes?

That's total BS. Training data is extremely valuable to review. Training is testing after all. If you can't ride 30km at 100% of FTP, I would suggest not targeting 102% for a 40km TT. Doesn't matter how you tested FTP, pretty simple data to review.

Similarly, if you can routinely ride 40-60min of intervals close to FTP, you can use that info to help pacing an event that you target at ~54min. You can also use all of your training data to build a model of your power curves and make good estimates of different power targets for different durations of events (then test those targets prior to the main events). I bet someone already build a system to do this...
Quote Reply
Re: % FTP for "40k" (39.5k) [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

so you are in his category right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disappear for a couple of days and come back to some serious argument. My question had to do with using the % of max power I can hold for an hour, and I'll be the first to acknowledge that I may be off base in defining max power I can hold for an hour as FTP.

Seems like it really depends on my power curve, with the margin of error on any given day suggesting I play it conservative to begin with (sticking with what I can believe I can hold for an hour) and adjust accordingly based on RPE throughout the effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short answer: It depends.

Slightly less short answer: It depends on the individual, the individual on any given day, and the demands of the 39.5km test beyond just riding 39.5km as hard as you can (climate, wind, rolling resistance, mental demands etc).

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
Seems like it really depends on my power curve, with the margin of error on any given day suggesting I play it conservative to begin with (sticking with what I can believe I can hold for an hour) and adjust accordingly based on RPE throughout the effort.

How much experience do you have with these efforts?

I like RPE (using the PM in the first 5 minutes to make sure I don't overdo it), but if you don't have a lot of experience of what a max 40k effort at consistent wattage feels like, it will be tough. The "feeling" will change massively from the beginning to the end. If there is doubt I'd err on the low side. It's way more fun to finish strong than blow up early, even if the time is the same.
Quote Reply

Prev Next