Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3T Revo
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience with the 3T Revo bars? Pros/cons?
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Revo [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got one that I had on my Shiv. PM me and I'll dig up a photo at some point tomorrow.

Pros:
-The hand position on the base bar is very secure. It's not an exaggeration to say it feels like your hands are in the drops on a road bike.
-The brakes end up being positioned nicely so you can just use your index finger or index finger and middle finger to actuate as there's plenty of leverage.
-You can under-mount the extensions and slam the pads if you need to get low
-Cable routing really was not nearly as bad as I would have expected.

Cons:
-Even though the base bar position is very secure, it's not very comfortable. I mean that shouldn't be a shocker since your palms are wresting on a skinny piece of carbon. To that extent it's no different than any other carbon aerobar without bar tape. This is the reason I took mine off for the summer as I took my Shiv with me on a long business trip where I had an opportunity to do a lot of riding.
-No tilt adjustment.

Neutral:
-I really wish they had an extension mount that put the extensions in line with the base bar like the Shiv low mount kit or the Felt Devox bars
-Unsure about the aerodynamics

Summary: if I had an A-race with a lot of technical descending or an otherwise technical course this bar would be my choice no doubt. If you plan on using it for everyday training I'd try to come up with a solution to the comfort problem (maybe really heavily padded gloves?)
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Revo [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could wrap the grips with a thin or flexible tape, right? Or does their shape preclude that?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Revo [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could wrap them sure but they have a slightly unusual shape going towards your pinky finger (the grip gets slightly larger in an oval way if that makes any sense). If you use a tape make sure it's got plenty of stretch. I'd finish it toward the brake. I haven't tried it but your best bet might be to slip on something like an ESI grip for training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're slow and expensive. Not really sure why they exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love mine. Just added them to my Felt IA10 about a month ago. They look great. Super secure when riding on the bars. Reversed the shifters so I can use my index finger to shift. Brakes are easy to pull with just a finger. I have a bit of grip tape on the handles for when my hands are wet or sweaty. Maybe if there was a lot of riding on the handles I would feel some discomfort but I've yet to feel it. Bombing downhill on these feel more secure than anything I've ever used before. Best bars I've owned to date and I would not hesitate to buy them again. Let me know if you want to see a pic.
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Revo [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you seen data on their slowness?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Revo [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure of all the things to worry about on my bike slowing me down it is not the base bar, especially one that allows me to grab the bars with a lot more confidence. And for $300 I don't think I could have bought much better.
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Revo [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3T talk about how slow they are in their marketing material. Besides that someone on here tested then a few months back and they were slooooow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong as to 3T marketing (and just plain stupid to assert it) and who cares if someone tested and in that one set of testing it was not the fastest. You don't like the Revo, never having owned it or using it, I get that. I like it just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Revo [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
Wrong as to 3T marketing (and just plain stupid to assert it) and who cares if someone tested and in that one set of testing it was not the fastest. You don't like the Revo, never having owned it or using it, I get that. I like it just fine.

From their website:

REALFASTā„¢
AERODYNAMICS

Our commitment to aerodynamics means we donā€™t test for testingā€™s sake, we test to achieve speed in the real world. This means we design for and test at realistic speeds, in realistic conditions, with set-ups that mimic real life as appropriate.

When we did that for the Revo, we were happy to see our aerodynamic hypothesis conļ¬rmed. The slight drop of the grips result in a slightly bigger frontal area than a bullhorn bar, but on the plus side the angled wing improves the aspect ratio (the ratio between the thickness and the length of the wing as ā€œseenā€ by the airļ¬‚ow) which should reduce the drag. In practice, these two effects balance each other out, meaning that the added safety and security of the Revoā€™s reverse grips can be enjoyed without any speed penalty. In short, the Revo combines the same speed with ultimate adjustability and safety. A true win-win-win.

So they don't release any data and in their marketing they say they test but cannot assert if the shape actually reduces drag. See the problem? At best they're on par with the Revo (read:middling).

For the money there are faster options. But I get it dude, no one like to be told they paid a lot to go slower (afaik you had worse bars before so it's still a win for you).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who tested and showed that it is slow? Compared to what?

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read much? I did not pay a lot to go slower. I paid $300. Tell me what's faster for $300, with a great grip, full carbon, and no wrap needed. You can't. $300 is not a lot of money; It's not even an hour of work.

3T marketing says "without any speed penalty" which is categorically different than your asinine statement that they "talk about how slow they are." They don't talk about how slow they are. I know you are used to it, but you sound stupid trying to assert something so obviously false.

I don't know what you mean that they are "on par with the Revo." We are talking about the Revo. Well, you're talking about nothing and from the position of no personal knowledge, but the rest of us are talking about the Revo.

Once again, I like them. That makes it worth the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You make over $300 an hour and can't be bothered to take a trip to the tunnel/track to test? Your reliance on marketing over data is silly (Hearsay your Honor!). Talk about a failure in priorities...

Loads of stuff out there that's much faster for less. Picked up a few pairs of Tulas for half that, and also got a pair of PRO Missile Evos for that. Then there's the Felt Bayonet 3 (and KCNC makes an exact copy of it for even less). Even the open-mold bars are faster (DF HB086/069). As far as grip is concerned, you can use grip tape on any bar (although it isn't necessary).

Like I said, use them if you want to, but don't pretend there aren't faster options for less.

BrzilianTri wrote:
Who tested and showed that it is slow? Compared to what?
I was under the impression GreenPlease had tested them, but looks like he opted for the MORF instead (remember those? Supposed to be the new killer app but was slow). I've tested and have data on more than enough bars to confidently say that they're slow though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill just likes to troll. Let him go. Not a week goes by where he doesn't pontificate about how slow some product is, and never any justification for it other than vague references to "testing" that someone did.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 22, 17 23:23
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Revo [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got me dead to rights dude. I actually got aero after a Retul fit and have never seen the inside of a velodrome. :P

Send me a set of Revos, if they test faster I'll buy them off you. And I'll release the data either way. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I didn't have time to test them. Regarding the MORF bars, I wouldn't take my test as the final word. I had a one-off prototype with a very wide stem clamp area and the bars themselves were ovalized to be more aero in the base bar position if the bars are level (I told Frank that made no sense). With the bars tilted up and extended this feature became an aero liability.

Antony Costes got his CdA down to ~0.195 (iirc) using the MORF bar and a custom Trorhans mount. I don't know what the delta was to the same position with the 3T bar.

I spoke to Frank yesterday and I should have a production MORF bar in hand the end of next month. I should be able to field test it late September/early October and I might take it to the tunnel again. If I do, I'll take the Revo with me too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good. I'll be testing Tulas against Enves next on the T4, as I can't touch the P5 anymore. Happy to test the Revos if someone sends me a set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to A2 anytime soon? If you are going prior to late November you can test mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, strictly velodrome until the Boardman tunnel is finished. Probably be testing over winter so no rush, but appreciate the offer.
Quote Reply