Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Open Championship....who's your pick?
Quote | Reply
Was glad to see Jordan Spieth tied for first after today; I'd really like to see him win another major. Lots of top guys right up there, though. Looks like winning the US Open had given Brooks Koepka a shot of confidence that he can play with anyone and is right up there as well. Should make for some good viewing this weekend.

Quote | Reply
The Open coverage starts here on the west coast at 4:00 am on Saturday and Sunday, and I'll be gladly up with my French press of coffee.

I'm a fan of both Spieth and McIIroy and would love to see them near the top on Sunday. Rory was having trouble on the front 9 today but turned it around. It would make a good story on Sunday if he were to win after being at +5 on Thursday. I always hope Spieth wins (particularly after his Master's meltdown a few years ago) and he looked good today.

My "outside" pick is Rahm. I'm not really a fan but he's been playing well is really gearing up for this tournament. It will be interesting to see how Koepka plays, not many win back to back majors. Dustin Johnson will likely be there but a bit of a question since he hasn't played much.

My main purpose of existing on Friday is to make sure I have coffee for Saturday morning and that my alarms are set. The rest of the day is just going through the motions...
Quote Reply
Re: The Open Championship....who's your pick? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did TV start calling it "The Open Championship" vs. "The British Open?"

And when did "Wimbledon" become "The Championships Wimbledon?"

I'm sure the "why" is because "Well, that's the REAL name for those tournaments; just that nobody used them"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Open Championship....who's your pick? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.espn.com/golf/theopen17/story/_/id/20097991/golf-open-not-open-shut-case-naming-major

Quote Reply
Re: The Open Championship....who's your pick? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"In Phoenix in February, people say, 'I'm going to the Open!' -- which means the Waste Management Phoenix Open," Casey explained with a laugh. "I used to scratch my head and go, 'But there's only one Open.' Now I don't care anymore."

When I was a kid in Connecticut, "The Open" meant the GHO or Greater Hartford Open, which was then played at Wethersfield Country Club [we could ride our bikes over]

https://en.wikipedia.org/...Championship#History

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Open Championship....who's your pick? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think people called the US Open the Open when it came to Oakland Hills. Back in the day, I carried a scoreboard for the Open, and caddied at the Senior Open.
Quote Reply