Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time
Quote | Reply
Because nobody's buying albums anymore, which rock music has benefited from for decades.

"According to Nielsen Music’s latest semi-annual report, hip-hop (including R&B) is now the biggest genre in the US, overtaking rock music for the very first time. Hip-hop claims 25.1% of all music consumption, while rock music is at 23%.

Why this happened has as much to do with US’s listening methods as it does the undeniable talent of many modern-day rappers. In the 1990s, CD sales still dominated. Digital-music streaming has now outstripped physical album sales and iTunes downloads as the primary way people listen to songs; with this new order comes both a new audience and a revamp of music charts."

Call me a purist or a stick-in-the-mud, or whatever. If it doesn't have a melody line (which most of rap and hip-hop doesn't, but which R&B certainly does), than it's not really good music.

Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar dominate the charts because hip-hop is now officially bigger than rock music — Quartz

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can accept this but it makes me impossibly sad. Rock N Roll is dead. Long live Rock R Roll.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is rock music still being made? Honestly I'm having a hard time thinking of any recent band of note but maybe that's just my age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And we wonder why the world is falling apart...
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rock is in the corners now. It's heading the way of Jazz at great speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
And we wonder why the world is falling apart...

It's certainly a wonder to me. Today was band practice day. "One Headlight" (Wallflowers), "Girl's Got Rhythm" (AC/DC), etc. Rock will never die as long as I'm around, but it looks like it's gradually heading to at least niche status in the face of the kind of music that Millennials and younger folks seem to prefer.

Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, it's around and doing just fine. You're just not looking hard enough if you're having a hard time finding stuff.

Is real rock doing as well in the mainstream? Nope, because what you see in the mainstream is heavily curated.

But rock is far from dead.

ThisIsIt wrote:
Is rock music still being made? Honestly I'm having a hard time thinking of any recent band of note but maybe that's just my age.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Oh, it's around and doing just fine. You're just not looking hard enough if you're having a hard time finding stuff.

Is real rock doing as well in the mainstream? Nope, because what you see in the mainstream is heavily curated.

But rock is far from dead.

ThisIsIt wrote:

As long as young kids like these continue popping up and making real rock, then there's always hope: :-)

Greta Van Fleet - Highway Tune - YouTube

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These kids, Dan Auerbach, Royal Blood, Patrick Sweany, Jack White, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Nathaniel Rateliff, and more...rock ain't dead!!

big kahuna wrote:
As long as young kids like these continue popping up and making real rock, then there's always hope: :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I just read somewhere (the internet) that Jay-Z passed the Beatles in record sales or something. I'm not a huge Jay-Z fan, but it just shows you the state of music in the world. The Beatles have been replaced by total garbage.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We used to sale out staduims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Because nobody's buying albums anymore, which rock music has benefited from for decades.

"According to Nielsen Music’s latest semi-annual report, hip-hop (including R&B) is now the biggest genre in the US, overtaking rock music for the very first time. Hip-hop claims 25.1% of all music consumption, while rock music is at 23%.

Why this happened has as much to do with US’s listening methods as it does the undeniable talent of many modern-day rappers. In the 1990s, CD sales still dominated. Digital-music streaming has now outstripped physical album sales and iTunes downloads as the primary way people listen to songs; with this new order comes both a new audience and a revamp of music charts."

Call me a purist or a stick-in-the-mud, or whatever. If it doesn't have a melody line (which most of rap and hip-hop doesn't, but which R&B certainly does), than it's not really good music.

Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar dominate the charts because hip-hop is now officially bigger than rock music — Quartz

I would have guessed that happened years ago. Its only rock and roll you know.

sometimes
Last edited by: mustangchef: Jul 21, 17 5:02
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. But I like it. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is still plenty of good music out there.

USS is a Canadian band. One guy sings and plays guitar, the other guy spins a turntable. I don't know what the hell you classify it as but they're great.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I would have guessed that happened years ago. Its only rock and roll you know.

+1
In the 90s, the #1 albums seemed to always be rap albums
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are a pale, and poorly schooled, imitation of their progenitors.

Listen to the way these two groups sing with and to each other, and especially the interplay between the Temptations' Dennis Edwards and the Four Tops' Levi Stubbs -- both powerful and talented singers -- toward the end. And they deliver all that rhythm and MELODY with a healthy dose of stage presence, to boot. Plus, that backing band delivers music with a tightness today's rappers and hip-hoppers can't hope to approach without Autotune and a bunch of studio effects.

The Four Tops & The Temptations - YouTube

Last edited by: big kahuna: Jul 21, 17 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To hip hops credit, they are basically putting out YouTube videos with nakeder women than rock did/ does.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Check out Greta Van Fleet. I don't think any of these guys is old enough yet to drink in the US... hopefully they will stick around for a while.

Definitely rock.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
To hip hops credit, they are basically putting out YouTube videos with nakeder women than rock did/ does.

So we always have that going for us, which is nice. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Hip-Hop is Bigger Than Rock Music for the First Time [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Check out Greta Van Fleet. I don't think any of these guys is old enough yet to drink in the US... hopefully they will stick around for a while.

Definitely rock.

I introduced them to the LR a few weeks ago. They're definitely RAWK! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
These kids, Dan Auerbach, Royal Blood, Patrick Sweany, Jack White, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Nathaniel Rateliff, and more...rock ain't dead!!

big kahuna wrote:

Here we go again. Seems like every summer we get a bunch of people who really are not into music saying rock is dead.

I'm still recovering from last weekend when we had the third annual music festival in town. I was one of the old farts mixed in with some 10k young kids listening to old and new rock acts. One old dude, Charles Bradley, who sang like James Brown and had a great band was my favorite. My second favorite (close call, maybe a tie) was Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats. Last year one of the best was The Arcs (Dan Auerbach).

I can't keep up with all the good new stuff coming out in album form. The music scene is better than ever. I'm fine with pop music being taken over by Hip-Hop. I'm not into pop music anyway. Rock is better now with more acts, with smaller but more devoted fan bases, and with shows in smaller venues with better sound. The death -- or decline anyway -- of the pop-rock stadium tour era is a good thing.

For those that say Rock is dead, I say that Foreigner is touring this summer with Cheap Trick and Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, so go see them. If you want great rock music from the last twenty years, just open your ears.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and since we've spoken before about St Paul and the Broken Bones (who I saw first three years ago at this recent local festival), I thought Nathaniel R&NS and Charles Bradley were both better. All three have great bands, but the latter two have better lead singers IMO.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply