Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To drop or not to drop (shoe related)?
Quote | Reply
This season I've been doing all my running in Merrell Bare Access shoes. These are zero drop and fairly minimal cushioning. I'm perfectly adjusted to running with zero drop shoes but now that the miles are going up (> 40 mpw on pavement) my knees are starting to talk to me, and I'm considering switching to a shoe with more cushion.

My question is what the pros/cons are in switching to a, more cushioned shoe, with some drop (>= 4mm)? Should I expect any advantages by adding a bit of drop now, or should I appreciate the fact that I'm comfortable running with zero drop and just look for something with no drop and more cushioning?
Quote Reply
Re: To drop or not to drop (shoe related)? [eisforurgent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to try Topo. They have a very slight drop but decent cushioning. Good for higher mileage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick with the drop. Get a pair of Altra Torin 3.0s to go with your Merrells. Just go off your gut on what level of cushioning you will want for each run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in 4mm drop shoes and ran in 0mm drop Merrel shoes for a while as well. When switching I started out running in the Saucony Type As. As my mileage increased I have started running in the Fastwich. Its a 4mm with enough cushion in it to be able to do a Half or a little more. If you are going to be doing longer than that, then I would suggest either the Kinvara or the ISO Freedom.

I will be starting to run in the ISO Freedom when I wear out my last pair of Fastwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i guess it depends on my you started in the zero drop in the first place. i recently (past 2 months) switched to 0 drop from 4mm. Have been happy with the transition and have not experienced any issues. I wear Altras; the one, escalante, and lone peak for trails. Running 80 to 90 mpw for reference with about half of those being on pavement. I like the more natural footstrike I feel they promote as well as the large toe box.

hope that helps
Quote Reply