Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not that your technique turns to crap it's that your open water skills set sucks.

Fix that and you'll fix your problems.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I've never seen a swimmer who I felt had the swim-specific fitness of a 1:30/100yd swimmer over distance but was so sloppy in the water that they were 2:00/100yds. Heck, even getting 10sec/100 from technique alone is a stretch for anyone who's under 1:50/100yds.

You are busting my bubble. I am a solid low 1:40s swimmer, and was hoping that I could hire a coach to fix technique issues that would give me another 10-15 sec/100. I see people clearly way less fit than me just destroying me in the pool. I think of swimming more like golf or yoga-- it is all about technique and fitness just helps you do more of it. If I go all in, I can barely break 1:30. Yet, un-fit looking people can cruise all day under 1:30.

Back to the OP... I am a crapshoot at OWS pace compared to swim pace. Some OWS I am much slower. And in others, I am about the same as pool (or just a touch faster). I think my problems are sighting and form. However, when I am slower in OWS, it is usually within 10 seconds of my pool pace.

Don't get fooled by the un-fit people look. If they're swimming sub 1:30, they've got good pull power and an efficient body position. Even if they've got a gut and plenty of flab.

You don't have to 'look' fit in swimming to go fast. 9-month pregnant ex-competitive D1 swimmers who look like they're going to explode will still crush 99% of triathletes including the lean and mean top AGers in swim challenges.

Plenty of videos on youtube showing top elite world-class freestyle swimmers making sub 1:00/100 paces look easy. Don't look at that and conclude it's all technique and no power. I'd argue the nearly the complete opposite - these guys/girls are so powerful, they'd be nearly that speed even if they had to do YOUR (or my) stroke, complete with our errors. In fact, I'll guarantee that you could have them swim in a drag suit, one-armed tied to their waist, and even have them pop their entire head clear out of the water to their chin on every other stroke to further kill their great body position, and they'll STILL easily go sub 1:30/100yds, if not sub 1:20.

LH - As usual, you're hitting the nail here. Most former D1 swimmers can easily swim 1-arm fly, which pops the head out every stroke to breath, at 1:15/100 yd or faster.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [MJGuswiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Short course?
Current?
You're MUCH faster in a wetsuit?

If it's only 2 races, possibly the above, but if it's every race that you're 1:30 OWS (which should put you into the top 15% or higher in most triathlons in the swim leg), then you really are much, much better in OWS than the pool. (A 1:45/100 pool swim is slightly behind MOP for AG triathlon)

I always check my % standing in the OA and AG of the swim for all my PR triathlon swims because of things like short course and current that make you feel like a stud based on your recorded time, but less of a stud when you see that everyone else seemed to benefit from a 2-3 min speed bump.

Yes, mostly short course (Olympic/INTL) that said, my HIM in Madison was 1:35 pace. No currents that I've noticed or aware of, most areas I race in are smaller lakes (MN). So I do attribute a lot of the speed to wetsuit, also attribute a lot to race mentality. Admittedly, I have a hard time getting excited to swim back and forth, tracing the black line back to the "+"

Not sure where you got your 1:35 pace from. I looked you up in the 2017 results and the results say 35:31 with a 1:50/100 m pace. Converting to yards, that would be about a 1:41/100 yd pace. However, you are correct about being 385/2452 so your pace did get you in top 16% of the race in the swim. Also, that race was a legit 1.2 mi/1930 m swim, with no current assist, as the fastest swim of the day was a 25:45 by a 35-39 male age grouper.

Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Not sure where you got your 1:35 pace from. I looked you up in the 2017 results and the results say 35:31 with a 1:50/100 m pace. Converting to yards, that would be about a 1:41/100 yd pace. However, you are correct about being 385/2452 so your pace did get you in top 16% of the race in the swim. Also, that race was a legit 1.2 mi/1930 m swim, with no current assist, as the fastest swim of the day was a 25:45 by a 35-39 male age grouper.

I got my pace from my garmin file, link provided below.
https://connect.garmin.com/...ctivity/1791925043/1

Please don't laugh at my run... it was REALLY hot that day :p
Last edited by: MJGuswiler: Jul 21, 17 7:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like most people having trouble in open water don't do it as often as the pool, and I know that's the case for me. In fact, I usually only swim in open water during races and I know that I'm a lot more tense and have adrenaline going in races. In the pool I'm relaxed as can be, so I just feel more comfortable and able to focus on my form. In OWS I struggle to find a good breathing rhythm and a good stroke rhythm. Therefore I'd argue that a lot of my tension and difficultly finding good rhythm and mechanics is because of the adrenaline and tension from the race. For me a decent warm up swim does wonders to loosen me up so that I can have a more relaxed swim.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some things wetsuits can do beyond buoyancy. I have a hitch in my stroke where I bend my right knee and I think it slows me down in the pool. But in the wetsuit my knee doesn't bend as much and I am more efficient. I think high turnover swimmers with a straighter arm in recovery do better in open water than those with a bent elbow recovery. I am about the same in pool vs open water. In open water I have the suit in the pool I have walls to push off of . Having said that I also do well in open water without the suit. Do you draft quite effectively because if you do that will make you faster too.

MJGuswiler wrote:
Super odd... but I have the exact opposite issue. I am a 1:30 OWS and a 1:45-1:50 pool swimmer. I'm going to blame the excess speed on wetsuits though. I've not had to race in a swimskin in either of the last two years.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Jul 21, 17 8:52
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [splatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
like most people having trouble in open water don't do it as often as the pool, .....I usually only swim in open water during races and I know that I'm a lot more tense and have adrenaline going in races.....I just feel more comfortable and able to focus on my form. In OWS I struggle to find a good breathing rhythm and a good stroke rhythm. Therefore I'd argue that a lot of my tension and difficultly finding good rhythm and mechanics is because of the adrenaline and tension from the race.

This isn't an OWS vs rarely swimming OWS situation. This situation which plagues many triathletes is partly a failure to address specific issues in training and partly a failure in one's OWS skill set.

Most triathletes waste their time when they go OWS. They swim from point A to point B and back. If they really wanted to become better OWS swimmers they should work on their OWS specific skill set. Now that still may get you from Point A to point B and back but it would rarely involve just swimming there and back.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
like most people having trouble in open water don't do it as often as the pool, .....I usually only swim in open water during races and I know that I'm a lot more tense and have adrenaline going in races.....I just feel more comfortable and able to focus on my form. In OWS I struggle to find a good breathing rhythm and a good stroke rhythm. Therefore I'd argue that a lot of my tension and difficultly finding good rhythm and mechanics is because of the adrenaline and tension from the race.

This isn't an OWS vs rarely swimming OWS situation. This situation which plagues many triathletes is partly a failure to address specific issues in training and partly a failure in one's OWS skill set.

Most triathletes waste their time when they go OWS. They swim from point A to point B and back. If they really wanted to become better OWS swimmers they should work on their OWS specific skill set. Now that still may get you from Point A to point B and back but it would rarely involve just swimming there and back.

That's some great advice - can you just throw out some general OWS drills/skills or sample workout segments that you'd recommend for the typical MOP AGer who is less strong at OWS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I got my pace from my garmin file, link provided below.
https://connect.garmin.com/...ctivity/1791925043/1

Please don't laugh at my run... it was REALLY hot that day :p

Well, I don't think it is legit to say you swam 1:35/100 yd b/c you swam an extra 80 yd, e.g. your file says you went 2192 yd vs 2112 yd which would be an exact 1.2 miles. Also, your file gives your time as 34:47 vs your "official time" of 35:31. In sum, I'd still argue you're going around 1:40 in this swim vs 1:45 in the pool, which is easily accounted for by the wetsuit. In any case, your swim is clearly your strong suit, at least as compared to triathletes.

Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Well, I don't think it is legit to say you swam 1:35/100 yd b/c you swam an extra 80 yd, e.g. your file says you went 2192 yd vs 2112 yd which would be an exact 1.2 miles. Also, your file gives your time as 34:47 vs your "official time" of 35:31. In sum, I'd still argue you're going around 1:40 in this swim vs 1:45 in the pool, which is easily accounted for by the wetsuit. In any case, your swim is clearly your strong suit, at least as compared to triathletes.

Oh well, suppose I can't satisfy everyone, guess I wasn't really trying anyway; nor was I trying to make some outlandish claim. I looked at my garmin, compared that result to other results consistent with it, made an observation which resulted in my response to this thread.

I swam in high school, but running is usually my strength all things being relative. Did I mention it was hot that day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Oh well, suppose I can't satisfy everyone, guess I wasn't really trying anyway; nor was I trying to make some outlandish claim. I looked at my garmin, compared that result to other results consistent with it, made an observation which resulted in my response to this thread.

I swam in high school, but running is usually my strength all things being relative. Did I mention it was hot that day?

Either way, that's a good swim showing!

I'd have to agree that swimming is your strength based on that day's showing though!

I gotta admit as well - I'm pretty skeptical that you're a mere 1:45/100yd paced swimmer for distance in the pool if you were on a HS swim team.

Sorry about the inquisition - I'm really not trying to muckrake your results and history here - it's just very atypical for someone to be that much faster in OWS than the pool, and that mediocre with pool results if they swam on a HS team!) and I'm genuinely curious. Again, nice swim on that HIM, and you trooped it through a very hot day it seems!
Last edited by: lightheir: Jul 21, 17 10:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next