Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowman, your poll on which sport to watch
Quote | Reply
The poll results to date are interesting, but I think they largely reflect those who visit the forum wanting to watch what they do. Long Distance Tri and ITU are way up there (both triathlon) in the poll results so far. Probably the three most exciting to me are a track meet, bike racing and a short Nordic Ski race. For me those are a dead heat and provide continuous excitement. Long distance tri, I watch because that is exactly what I do, but if I was not an athlete who did that, I would not watch it. ITU is partially related to what I do, so I'll watch it a bit but can't care to watch it. In my view, I'd rather watch Mo Farah in the last 2000m of a 5000m race, because the action is better than the last 2000m of an ITU race. Watching triathlon is like watching paint dry in general compared to bike racing, track meets and nordic skiing (especially sprints). The new mixed relay format through, that's awesome and I could stay glued to my seat for that. If that is "included in ITU" then that's a different picture.

You left out swim meet. I'd put that at the top of my list and I have never done a serious swim meet. Love a top international swim meet. Track and Swim events are the prime time attractions on network TV for every olympics. We're clearly different over here on ST (expected of course but interesting the degree to which we favor watching tris)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, your poll on which sport to watch [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You left out swim meet.

Calling a swim meet and "endurance" event would be a bit of a stretch. Only one event lasts longer than 5 minutes. I picked track, but I'm not sure it fits the poll. Only the steeple, 5k and 10k last over five minutes so I don't think it fits in as 'cleanly' with the others. Maybe replace that entry with open water marathon swimming?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, your poll on which sport to watch [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually 2 events over 5, in meters its 800/1500, yards is 1000/1650, and some women's in the 400m IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The poll might be a little biased as many are watching the TdF right now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
You left out swim meet.

Calling a swim meet and "endurance" event would be a bit of a stretch. Only one event lasts longer than 5 minutes. I picked track, but I'm not sure it fits the poll. Only the steeple, 5k and 10k last over five minutes so I don't think it fits in as 'cleanly' with the others. Maybe replace that entry with open water marathon swimming?

Pretty sure that once you get past around 20 seconds some slow twitch muscle fiber (and thus the aerobic system) is involved. If not, you could pace a 400m track event like a 200m (and you can't) or a bike sprinter could go from 400m out (and they can't). Almost always the winner is from inside 200m (at 60 kph 200m is only 12 seconds). Pretty well every swim event in the world minus the 50m has a decent aerobic contribution. Same thing for Track running above 200m. If I recall correctly at 1500m run, 4000m pursuit, 400m swim, it's already 75% aerobic, 25 % anaerobic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you would identify any activity where it's >50% aerobic as being an endurance activity? That would cast a very wide net as to what is considered an endurance event.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
So you would identify any activity where it's >50% aerobic as being an endurance activity? That would cast a very wide net as to what is considered an endurance event.

Yes, pretty well if it is >50% slow twitch related then I would classify it is as endurance. Pretty well everything that humans do is mainly aerobic. We're not designed to do anything that is anaerobic for anything but insanely short durations (like 10ish seconds). There is a reason most weight training sets are 8-10 reps only! If the weight is low enough and you can last more than 10 reps it is getting into the endurance realm already! I know it is crazy viewing it this way on an endurance sport forum where most of our events are 20 minutes to all day, but that's just the way these fast twitch muscle fibers work in terms of how long they can last....they can't last long!
Quote Reply