Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Joined the masters swim team [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest is a good thing if it means you hold faster paces in training, within reason. 2-3 minutes between sets isn't unusual, either as active recovery or just plain sitting on the wall.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone in the Phoenix, AZ recommend a legit Masters program?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Jumping in here with a masters question. I used to do masters and it had a wide range of abilities, but usually I could work my way up to the back of the fast lane. The lanes seemed to have a natural progression.

I started masters again here locally and there is a fast lane (former D1 swimmers (years ago) and recent D3 swimmers) then a huge drop off for all the other 5 lanes. In the second lane I am starting to lap folks on 200's. I have started swimming on the fast lanes intervals and am making it, but at an effort that far exceeds the intent of the workouts. For instance, we did a set of 100's (yds) on the 1:30. I was touching the wall anywhere from 1:15-1:18 while they were coming in around 1:04-1:08 and I assume all laughing as I thrash my way to the wall completely gassed.

My thought is to just keep fighting (Masters is only 2 days a week) and try to get faster, but not sure that is the smartest thing. I slow down a bit on my solo swims.

The other thing I notice is they really take a lot of time between sets. I tend to just rest long enough to see what's next then get after it. They will stand around for 2 or 3 minutes before hitting the next set. I always noticed this about the swimmers at my prior masters group as well. I would rather push through and get more yards in per hour, however maybe that is not the best practice.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

I'm going to second the question about rest between sets! I've noticed a similar trend with the fast swimmers at my school..they take a LOT of rest between sets.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Lotsa snubbing of course from the faster lanes, but who cares. I am there to learn. I used to get the same snubbing from the roadies until I figured out how to hang with them.

Amateur "adult" swimmers snubbing someone who is not as fast as them......super cool people I am sure. WTF is wrong with people?
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are good masters coaches and bad masters coaches. don't lump them all together.

If a squad isn't what you're looking for, find another squad, after you've politely voiced your concerns of course.

My most recent coach is freakin' awesome! He's an ex elite swimmer, awesome coach, funny as hell, dedicated, helpful etc etc. He was incredible at understanding everyone in the squad, knowing their strengths weaknesses, desires, and knew exactly how much to push each person. Somehow, he managed to mash that all together to give everyone great coaching and a fun time. Generally he has a waiting list for his morning, noon and evening squads as well as his private coaching sessions.

People don't all live in my area, but they should all look for a coach and squad that meets their needs as well as possible.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup.

If coach didn't want you to get rest between sets, it would have been written as one set.

The number of metres / yards in the practice is secondary to accomplishing the goal of that workout.

abrown wrote:
flynnzu wrote:
Jumping in here with a masters question. I used to do masters and it had a wide range of abilities, but usually I could work my way up to the back of the fast lane. The lanes seemed to have a natural progression.

I started masters again here locally and there is a fast lane (former D1 swimmers (years ago) and recent D3 swimmers) then a huge drop off for all the other 5 lanes. In the second lane I am starting to lap folks on 200's. I have started swimming on the fast lanes intervals and am making it, but at an effort that far exceeds the intent of the workouts. For instance, we did a set of 100's (yds) on the 1:30. I was touching the wall anywhere from 1:15-1:18 while they were coming in around 1:04-1:08 and I assume all laughing as I thrash my way to the wall completely gassed.

My thought is to just keep fighting (Masters is only 2 days a week) and try to get faster, but not sure that is the smartest thing. I slow down a bit on my solo swims.

The other thing I notice is they really take a lot of time between sets. I tend to just rest long enough to see what's next then get after it. They will stand around for 2 or 3 minutes before hitting the next set. I always noticed this about the swimmers at my prior masters group as well. I would rather push through and get more yards in per hour, however maybe that is not the best practice.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

I'm going to second the question about rest between sets! I've noticed a similar trend with the fast swimmers at my school..they take a LOT of rest between sets.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phoenix Swim Club has always had a solid masters team. They had a decent sized group at worlds in 2014.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:

Do you laugh at the guys who come in behind you, or even those that you lap in your 200 intervals? I personally don't really even notice them, I do my workout at my pace.
I think it is in your head that they are laughing. Again, do you laugh at slower runners or riders? I don't. I might laugh if I drop my mate on a climb, if he usually beats me, but I wouldn't be laughing at him!
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Lotsa snubbing of course from the faster lanes, but who cares. I am there to learn. I used to get the same snubbing from the roadies until I figured out how to hang with them.

I too am surprised by snubbing. I know a bit of ego from good athletes is common across most sports, but I started with two different groups over the last two years, and both are very welcoming. You show up, do the workout properly and you all share the common bond of getting up too early, or working hard.

Both team's coaches are very good at setting an inclusive atmosphere, so that may explain it.

As for other observations, on paper, masters may or may not be the 100% optimal workout to make me a faster triathlete, but I swim a heck of a lot more, and a heck of a lot harder with a masters group, than on my own, so for me it way net positive.
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be one of the faster guys in any masters squad and no I am not laughing at slower swimmers in workouts. Being slower is not something I find humerous.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was joking about that part. They are actually all really nice guys and one is a former Big 12 swimmer and current high school coach who has given me some great advice on a few flaws in my stroke. That's the nice thing about coming in so far behind him - he can actually watch me swim a bit and see flaws in my adult onset swim stroke.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, who laughs at anyone in these kinds of settings? Whether in the pool, weight room, on the track, road, ANYWHERE, I hope no one is laughing at anyone. No excuse. Speaking for myself, the only emotion I really show is when some douche-nozzle, entitled cyclist gets too caught up on a public-use trail and gets angry and aggressive when calling out to pass someone if the trail gets narrow. As an example, I was casually riding with my wife, and I was on my commuter bike going over a bridge on a paved trail when a cyclist angrily yelled at us to "move your asses over!" Mind you, it was a bridge maybe 70 yards long at the most, so the bottleneck was minimal. We were both solidly in our third of the trail (left side, not hugging the jersey barrier, not in the middle, and not ranging over to the opposite side) and about 20 yards from the end. For being slowed for maybe 5 seconds, this d!ck on a $6000 bike with team kit had to yell at us, so I called him a name in return.

Other things you can get from masters squad is a good group of people, and a chance to see the good ones swim and give an aspiration. And, check out the goggles life-long swimmers wear: most-likely <$15.
Quote Reply
Re: Joined the masters swim team [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey wrote:
STConcierge wrote:
SDJ wrote:
A few tips I've learned over the years in Masters:

1. Ask the coaches to review your stroke. Most coaches won't give you tips unless you ask. Small adjustments go a long way in making swimming feel better.
2. Don't push to move lanes. The overall yardage increase and pacing will make you a better swimmer.
3. Before you move to the 1:30 lane, lead the 1:35 lane. Once you are comfortable doing that you'll be able to move over easily. When I say lead I mean lead with no toys.
4. Learn to use the clock. If they have it positioned correctly the clock is your best pacing tool. Much like checking your 400 split on the track, you can check your 50 split and know in the first 50 seconds if you are swimming too fast for the prescribed set or too slow.
5. Just be consistent. Personally I don't feel in shape as a triathlete until I'm comfortably swimming. This mean's I'm leading the 1:30 and using it as a workout rather than barely making the intervals. The only way that happens is through consistency.

X4 Especially the "no toys part." And consider limiting your use of neoprene jammers. At some point, you'll be in a no-wetsuit race, so best to learn proper body position without extra flotation.

ahhh....c'mon.....you don't like my shorts? :)

Just not in my lane.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply

Prev Next