Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salem Witch Trials
Quote | Reply
325 years ago today. Religious extremists with isolationist views hung 5 women that didn't "fit" in their puritanical mold.

I'm sure the residents of Salem would have voted for Trump if they had lived today.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A memorial at the site of the hangings was dedicated today: http://www.bostonglobe.com/.../story.html#comments

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive visited the sites. Fascinating history there. People sure can get nutty when they stray from an evidence based system of belief and or justice.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
POW!
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Ive visited the sites. Fascinating history there. People sure can get nutty when they stray from an evidence based system of belief and or justice.

I listened to a lecture series on the witch phenomenon a few years ago. It was really good, not sure if it was one of the Great Courses or on Coursera or somewhere else. Anyway, IIRC Salem was odd because it was very late in the phenomenon, one of the last instances and it involved mostly young people. In Europe typically it was the old village hag, hence the stereotype, who was accused of being a witch. It was usually an old woman who lacked family connections yet owned property that was accused, i.e. someone who had something others wanted and little recourse for support. Which in some ways makes the whole phenomenon somewhat more rational if not even more evil.
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
It was really good, not sure if it was one of the Great Courses or on Coursera or somewhere else.

Pretty sure I saw the same one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lu5_5Od7WY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I was in Salem today but didn't see anything going on
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

What more evidence do you need... they sank they were witches they floated they weren't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
325 years ago today. Religious extremists with isolationist views hung 5 women that didn't "fit" in their puritanical mold.

I'm sure the residents of Salem would have voted for Trump if they had lived today.

Been to Salem. Also agree if Trump was 17th century he would have been leading the charge against witchcraft and then calling the hangings #fakenews.
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

Been to Salem. Also agree if Trump was 17th century he would have been leading the charge against witchcraft and then calling the hangings #fakenews.

Do you enjoy playing the town fool or do you not realize that is how you come off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

Do you enjoy playing the town fool or do you not realize that is how you come off?

Nope. I just love pissing you off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

Uh huh that's why you wrote that. eyeroll emoji
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

Uh huh that's why you wrote that. eyeroll emoji

Of course. You're always the first to respond to my posts.
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
I was in Salem today but didn't see anything going on

The major trials and hanging didn't happen in what today is Salem. The location today is in Danvers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Witch hunting is alive and well at CNN. The whole network now appears to be based around it. Perhaps the company should set up an office in Salem, right next to Fox News' Benghazi operation.
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted the same thing on Facebook that I did here at the top of this thread. To illustrate the differences...

This group is considered reasonably well educated. Differing opinions, but in general we all see the other side's view point. The replies to my post demonstrate that pretty well.

Most of my friends are either from my military background, or people that I grew up with in Indiana. I had 50 people in my class. Other than a couple of nurses, at last count 4 of us went to college only myself and a vet had advanced degrees. Most of them still live in the county, and nearly all of them are still in Indiana somewhere.

Indiana is a big bible thumping and gun loving bunch, in general. They are also a big religious freedoms abortion banning group that loves to wash Trump and Pence's balls, as Duffy stated once.

The attacks I got from that post were so vial they were actually funny. They could not connect the dots, even after one of my Navy buddies spelled it out for them. I am truly a member of the class with no class. We are coming up on 40 years soon and I wasn't going to go, but now I think I have to just to make them uncomfortable.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outbreaks of paranoia and conspiracy theories about all sorts of things seem to be a feature of life that doesn't go away and appears in various flavors. Witness Exhibit A https://en.wikipedia.org/...e_sex-abuse_hysteria. Janet Reno prosecuted one of these cases.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But Hillary would not have sank (sunk, sinked)? She would not have hit bottom right quick... ; ) She probably would've just levitated above the water so as not to get her pantsuit wet.

(edited based on new facts that witches actually didn't sink and were burned at the stake...the non-witches drowned)
Last edited by: JD21: Jul 20, 17 12:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:

What more evidence do you need... they sank they were witches they floated they weren't.

Wasn't it the other way? If they sank they weren't but if they floated they were witches and burned at the stake? Doomed either way.
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [The Wall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Wall wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Wasn't it the other way? If they sank they weren't but if they floated they were witches and burned at the stake? Doomed either way.

I think you're right ... If you drowned you weren't a witch and if you didn't they hanged you (yes that's correct most witches were hung the burning of witches is a old wives take for the most part)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's that for a justice system!
Quote Reply
Re: Salem Witch Trials [The Wall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Wall wrote:
How's that for a justice system!

Evidence based
Quote Reply