Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do I keep neighborhood cats from using my garden as a litter box?
Quote | Reply
At least one neighborhood cat has begun using my garden as its litter box. It defecates in multiple areas where the soil was recently turned over. Those areas of our backyard are starting to smell like a latrine despite our regular pickups of cat shit.

Short of the unspeakable, what to do? I'm looking at motion-sensing sprinklers, but they're a bit expensive. We have a dog, so I don't know how I feel about buying lion urine to sprinkle about - I don't want to freak out our dog too.

Anyone have any experience? Thanks.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: How do I keep neighborhood cats from using my garden as a litter box? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Land mines
Quote Reply
Re: How do I keep neighborhood cats from using my garden as a litter box? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe sprinkle fox pee around the garden? You can buy it at garden stores
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had this problem when I was a kid -- cats jumping on top of my mom's car & scratching it and then urinating in our yard. My mom solved it with my old Crossman 760 Pumpmaster BB gun. The cats got a shot in the butt from pretty far away (for a BB gun), same with neighboring dogs that defecated in the yard. It scared them off permanently, never saw them get closer than the tree at the edge of the yard after that. That woman was a pain in the butt, but she was a damn good shot.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I keep neighborhood cats from using my garden as a litter box? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Land mines

Those machine guns they used in Aliens.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a bobcat or coyote

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a dog, then you are most likely already the alpha of the pack, and as such you should mark your territory.

Drink a little less water during the day, and then at night, when the neighbours can't see you, go and make a strongly-scented wee in the bushes around your garden.

We had a similar situation: our cat used to foul the neighbour's garden. I told him to skip the lion-poo smoke and mirrors and just pee in his flower beds. I never heard him complain again (not saying that it worked, perhaps he was reprimanded for public indecency...)

Do post back and let us know if it works. Would be good to prove the theory.
Last edited by: gahddenbooi: Jul 20, 17 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
At least one neighborhood cat has begun using my garden as its litter box. It defecates in multiple areas where the soil was recently turned over. Those areas of our backyard are starting to smell like a latrine despite our regular pickups of cat shit.

Short of the unspeakable, what to do? I'm looking at motion-sensing sprinklers, but they're a bit expensive. We have a dog, so I don't know how I feel about buying lion urine to sprinkle about - I don't want to freak out our dog too.

Anyone have any experience? Thanks.
just ran this by my wife. She is a profeesional flower gardener. Knowing how ornery she can be , i thought she would say the bb gun. However..she says get a spray bottle from “AANatural products.".. Non toxic plant based enzyme free. spray it around where they are going.
ps. They hate walking on coco mulch.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: How do I keep neighborhood cats from using my garden as a litter box? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Get a bobcat or coyote

LOL, all seriousness aside, I think a coyote can mate with a dog but google says a bobcat probably can't mate with a domestic cat so I'd go with the bobcat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recommendation for a non lethal solution: Stake out at night and use a laser pointer to lure the cat to another yard.
Last edited by: noodle_soup: Jul 20, 17 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for a BB gun. Just regular old pump BB gun. Shoot it.

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A nice big saucer of Prestone...
Quote Reply
Re: How do I keep neighborhood cats from using my garden as a litter box? [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:

Some of the suggestions are funny. This one is not.

For one thing, didn't you notice that the OP has a dog?

For another, that's a particularly horrible way to kill an animal - through kidney failure. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I keep neighborhood cats from using my garden as a litter box? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
jkstevens wrote:

Some of the suggestions are funny. This one is not.

For one thing, didn't you notice that the OP has a dog?

For another, that's a particularly horrible way to kill an animal - through kidney failure. You should be ashamed of yourself.

whilst i pretty much agree with your sentiment, jk's delivery was funny.
i'm ok with macabre.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sprinkling cayenne pepper around your yard may also work. I had a similar problem a few months ago, except it wasn't cat poop but cat vomit I was having to clean up every few weeks. The cayenne pepper seemed to work. Haven't seen the cats around much. I also sprayed the cats with a garden hose which felt really good. I just hate cats!
Quote Reply
Re: How do I keep neighborhood cats from using my garden as a litter box? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lighten up, Francis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a big bottle of crushed red pepper flakes and sprinkle it around the gardens, worked for me.
Quote Reply