Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats
Quote | Reply
We have Coyotes and Bobcats in our neighborhood from time to time. I throw things at them and scream at them to try and make them feel unwelcome, and I don't want to kill them. I think they need more incentive to stay the F away. Would a .22 be just enough to piss them off? I don't want to kill them. If a .22 is too powerful, what should I get.....pellet gun's (at leas what I had when I was a kid) aren't the most accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
We have Coyotes and Bobcats in our neighborhood from time to time. I throw things at them and scream at them to try and make them feel unwelcome, and I don't want to kill them. I think they need more incentive to stay the F away. Would a .22 be just enough to piss them off? I don't want to kill them. If a .22 is too powerful, what should I get.....pellet gun's (at leas what I had when I was a kid) aren't the most accurate.

You can kill anything with a .22.
Air soft or pellet gun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

A .22 can kill. If not, it will penetrate the skin leaving it susceptible to infection and a painful death. A pellet gun likely will not kill, but could break the skin and cause infection, etc. An airsoft is an option. But, the best things to use are a garden hose and maybe even bear spray.

See here: http://www.humanesociety.org/...zing_guidelines.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a starter's pistol and some blanks? Plenty of noise, but no chance of errant shots or simply wounding an animal and sentencing it to a long, painful death.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cross Bow or Bow and Arrow with foam non-lethal arrow.

http://archerytag.com/...improved/article_154
Quote Reply
Re: Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
How about a starter's pistol and some blanks? Plenty of noise, but no chance of errant shots or simply wounding an animal and sentencing it to a long, painful death.

Good idea....thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a good pellet gun. I used to have one that shot 1,500fps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
TiDriver wrote:

Good idea....thanks

You might want to check to ensure it is legal to discharge that within city limits.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bobcats are a protected species in some states. It might be to your benefit to check their status in your state before shooting them with anything.

Agree with the others, a .22LR and even a high-powered air gun could certainly mortally wound either animal -- death by subsequent infection would be particularly inhumane, and I wouldn't want to tangle with a wounded bobcat or coyote.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
Bobcats are a protected species in some states. It might be to your benefit to check their status in your state before shooting them with anything.

Agree with the others, a .22LR and even a high-powered air gun could certainly mortally wound either animal -- death by subsequent infection would be particularly inhumane, and I wouldn't want to tangle with a wounded bobcat or coyote.

Not looking to be inhumane....I just don't want them around. I like the idea of a starter's pistol, when I see them roaming around.

On the other hand, Bobcats are taking people's pets...one recently attacked a dog (on a leash) and owner. In that instance, I could care less if it is protected....the Bobcat is going to lose....via gunshot.

https://www.dallasnews.com/...bobcats-killing-pets
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.amazon.com/Daisy-MFG-Model-Air-Rifle/dp/B003GN8QXG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500489371&sr=8-2&keywords=red+ryder+bb+gun

This stings if you hit them, weak enough won't break the skin. If this can't reach them, you should probably leave them alone to begin with. Careful you don't shoot your eye out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
On the other hand, Bobcats are taking people's pets...one recently attacked a dog (on a leash) and owner. In that instance, I could care less if it is protected....the Bobcat is going to lose....via gunshot.

So you are prepared to be charged with shooting a protected animal?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

Why not put a fence around your yard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They also sell motion sensor sprinklers. Not sure if you have pets or how big the yard is.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

So you are prepared to be charged with shooting a protected animal?

If there is a bobcat eating my dog or child and I shoot it....yes. I will take my chances. There is a fence around my yard, so hopefully that will help.
Last edited by: Mike Alexander: Jul 19, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are close enough to throw things at them, you can hit them with this slingshot. Shooting even a bb gun might cause trouble with neighbors/police -- imagine that a neighbor doesn't know it is a bb gun and thinks you are going ISIS on the neighborhood.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:

Apparently wounded mountain lions are totally cool if you just give them some weed. This is one of all time favorite local news stories.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/...njured-mountain-lion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would take a heck of a fence to keep a bobcat out. House cats easily scale our 6 foot stucco wall. A Komondor would probably keep bobcats and coyotes away. The bobcat that attacked a dog and then a person here in PHX area was rabid.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
If you are close enough to throw things at them, you can hit them with this slingshot.

IMO, this is probably the best non-lethal (for an animal that size) suggestion so far. I grew up using slingshots like that. They're surprisingly powerful and accurate. They're probably even better now. And they're a ton of fun! If nothing else, the little buggers will know they're being shot at.

The OP liked the idea of a starters pistol, so maybe consider an air horn. It would be less expensive to try. The problem with noise makers like that with nuisance animals is that if they become accustomed to them, they'll learn that they're just noise makers and will learn to ignore them.
Last edited by: zed707: Jul 19, 17 16:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you use bear bangers? Not a gun, but a pen flare launcher loaded with crackers instead of flares.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe that nobody has suggested this. Why not put out old food and corn and lure in bears. They're bigger than the coyotes and bobcats and will keep them run off. Problem solved. Sometimes the answer is so simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a gun to piss off Coyotes and Bobcats [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Corn? That's sooo American. Oats, molasses & skinned beaver carcasses! You've clearly never baited bears!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you have a thing against hockey players from Phoenix and basketball players from Charlotte?

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your original post had nothing to do with defense of self or others. If that's your real issue, "It's coming right for us!" may serve you just fine.

If your link is from your local paper, there's no closed season on either species in Texas. Fire away. You don't even need a reason.
Quote Reply