Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular nightmare
Quote | Reply
Bought a set of Vittoria Corsa Speed for my A race (IMLP). I'm a competitive age grouper. Injected half a bottle of Stans in each, glued them carefully. Got out for a ride and after 15 miles, blew the sidewall by hitting a small rock.

I lost my confidence. I consider buying another one (is it just bad luck??), on simply put back my trusted Sprinter Gatorskin that never fails.

Did I just get bad lucked or these Vittorias are simply too fragile? Your experience?

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular nightmare [Hoodoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got a flat tire and its a nightmare?

Yeah, I'd just call it bad luck. I've had good luck with conti gp4000 tubulars, as well as veloflex carbons. Don't use gatorskins.

I've also never bothered with the goo/slime stuff, but thats just me.

What are you carrying for a spare tire for your race?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular nightmare [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

SBRcoffee wrote:

Yeah, I'd just call it bad luck. I've had good luck with conti gp4000 tubulars, as well as veloflex carbons. Don't use gatorskins.

I've also never bothered with the goo/slime stuff, but thats just me.

What are you carrying for a spare tire for your race?

I carry a Zipp Tangente.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a spare tire that folds up almost as small as a tube, check out some of the super light tufo's. Forget the model number, but can find via search here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the tufo track tires are excellent spares. I think they are called tufo elite jet. There are at least two versions though, one is under 125 g. thanks to @ThomasGerlach for this idea
Last edited by: robabeatle: Jul 19, 17 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're worried, why not get the Vittoria Corsa G+ Tubular (not the speed version)? Great fast tub with a little more protection than the speed version. I have been using them with 2oz of Orange Seal and really like them. They're MUCH better than any Continental Tubular because of the latex tube. The ride of those tires is like butter.

PS: You're pushing it with the "nightmare" in the subject line! lol
Last edited by: ElliotOP: Jul 19, 17 5:28
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular nightmare [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ElliotOP wrote:
If you're worried, why not get the Vittoria Corsa G+ Tubular (not the speed version)? Great fast tub with a little more protection than the speed version. I have been using them with 2oz of Orange Seal and really like them. They're MUCH better than any Continental Tubular because of the latex tube. The ride of those tires is like butter.

You're right ! It's not that big !

That's what I decided to order to replace the Speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Indeed - It's just a bit of bad luck.

The sort of incident that the OP encountered - a sidewall failure, or a massive slash of the tire, etc . . are pretty rare. Do they happen - yes they do. However, in 30 + years of riding both tubulars and clinchers, I can think of only ONE incident, that truly was a, "nightmare". It was a freak big slashing of a tire, by something really sharp I hit on the road. I booted it with a used gel wrapper, and that would only hold for about 100m of riding with very low pressure.

I had to make the call of shame!

Only time in 30+ years of riding I had to do that.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoodoo wrote:
Bought a set of Vittoria Corsa Speed for my A race (IMLP). I'm a competitive age grouper. Injected half a bottle of Stans in each, glued them carefully. Got out for a ride and after 15 miles, blew the sidewall by hitting a small rock.

I lost my confidence. I consider buying another one (is it just bad luck??), on simply put back my trusted Sprinter Gatorskin that never fails.

Did I just get bad lucked or these Vittorias are simply too fragile? Your experience?

Thanks for your help.

Surprised nobody asked the obvious question, why are you on tubulars in the first place?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular nightmare [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can minimise bad luck, choosing more robust tubs. Haven't been riding Corsa Speed, but for 23mm tubs 220g is saying me that it must be quite fragile.
Your weight the roads you are riding on would also have an important impact on the tubs choice.
And do not punish yourself with Gatorskin :)

ElliotOP wrote:

Veloflex will give you a tad more plushier ride than Corsa G+. Conti are not worse because lack of latex tube, they simply use lower TPI casing therefore they give harsher ride than Victoria, Veloflex and other tubs made of higher tpi casing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular nightmare [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Indeed - It's just a bit of bad luck.

The sort of incident that the OP encountered - a sidewall failure, or a massive slash of the tire, etc . . are pretty rare.

I think the concern around here is that this type of incident is not rare with this particular tire! I'm doing IMLP and am *planning* to ride these tires (clincher version), but after this thread and the other I admit to being nervous about it and having some second thoughts. I've had just fine luck with them, but on less than 100mi total.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular nightmare [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ElliotOP wrote:

This!

These have been solid for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular nightmare [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only issue I've found with the Track/Elite Tufos, is that they are really tight and need loads of stretching (in my experience), so unless you've had it on a rim for ages, it's going to be more hassle than it's worth. My spare is an S2 Lite which still folds small enough to go in the Gen 1 SC Draft Box, plus inflation kit.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular nightmare [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weird, my experience is the not that. Tight but nothing terrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoodoo wrote:

Thanks for your help.

For tubies use orange seal in place of stans. I prefer the standard version over the speeds, might be slower but i have never flatted with 1600 race miles this year. Sidewall punctures will damage any tire.
Quote Reply