Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Have you ever 'Qualified for Kona' without... [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I don't think it is absolutely needed, but it sure feels good if you want to spend the extra $$. I'm lucky if I get a massage 1x a year. Typically I just use the hot tub at the Rec Center.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Getting routine massages?
Not only Kona, but say for example a big race like Boston.

Obviously massages are very legit, but any other bullshit protocols you were following and realized they were complete bullshit i.e. crossfit? :-)

Qualified for both, and I get routine ART and have done chiro in the past (with chiros who were athletes). I have an L5/S1 issue, and regular loosening keeps my training going without a hitch (mostly).

I'm 55, too, but have been doing the treatments since my 30s. For me at least I believe that's contributed to my longevity in the sport.

What hasn't helped: abstaining from alcohol, HotShot, custom drink mix.

What has also helped: latex tubes, Vasa Ergometer, an Ironman 2 weeks before a marathon.

The jury is still out: infrared sauna at home, altitude tent (I don't have one of these, but would be curious to try one).

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
any other bullshit protocols you were following and realized they were complete bullshit i.e. crossfit? :-)

Bit of a tangent, but crossfit isn't bullshit. It's a perfectly valid way of getting fit, it just doesn't have much relevance to optimising your performance in a long distance endurance event.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever 'Qualified for Kona' without... [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never qualified and never had a sports massage; the two aren't linked

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2953308/

Quote:
Research evidence has generally failed to demonstrate massage significantly contributing to the reduction of pain associated with delayed onset muscle soreness, or significantly enhancing sports performance and recovery, or playing a significant role in the rehabilitation of sports injuries. Design flaws in research have challenged some of the positive outcomes. Additional studies examining the physiological and psychological effects of sports massage are necessary in order to enhance the sports physical therapists' ability to develop and implement clinically significant evidence based programs or treatments
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who don't get massages, do you regularly use a foam roller? I don't believe pre-race massages have made any difference in my performance, so I don't get them, but swear by foam rolling during training - I feel like my legs bounce back faster after harder workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say get massages if you need them, but if you're not super tight or sore then there's not much point. Perhaps some mobility work might be better.

When I KQ'd I wasn't hadn't had a massage in ages although I was regularly foam rolling tight calves. When I BQ'd I happened to be going to hot yoga with the missus (and not training particularly hard) but I do think that helped my overall mobility and recovery.

Currently I am getting regular massage treatment as I am in the final build phase before my ultra (triathlon). The workload is pretty insane compared with a regular Ironman but the massages keep the niggles at bay and allow me to keep training. The last massage will be about 10 days before the race begins.

Doesn't hurt that my massage treatments are covered by my extended health plan so it's a no brainer from a cost perspective.

IronStork wrote:
For those who don't get massages, do you regularly use a foam roller? I don't believe pre-race massages have made any difference in my performance, so I don't get them, but swear by foam rolling during training - I feel like my legs bounce back faster after harder workouts.

I see a direct benefit from foam rolling and know several Olympic-level strength and conditioning coaches who swear by it. On the other hand I know several triathlon coaches who don't think it makes much of a difference either, but to each his own.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KQ'd 4x. No massage*, no supplements, not much bike food or recovery powders/pills/potions. Crossfit? Hell no!

I do own recovery boots, no idea if they work but they feel great and make you chill for 30 minutes. Same thing with an inversion table, feels so good after a run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next