Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos?
Quote | Reply
Seriously though, make your bike look cool in the pictures and people will be more likely to buy them. Slam that stem and those pads. Make the saddle level, not nose up. Or ya know, just look at what Cervelo is doing.
[/img][/img][/img]
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, do you think there's a photographer on earth that could make those color choices look good?

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
APKTRI wrote:
Seriously though, make your bike look cool in the pictures and people will be more likely to buy them. Slam that stem and those pads. Make the saddle level, not nose up. Or ya know, just look at what Cervelo is doing.

Last time I checked, Giant had ~11% market share in the manufacture and sale of bikes, or 2d most; Cervelo did not even have 2%. Perhaps Cervelo should look at what Giant is doing...
Last edited by: aerobike: Jul 18, 17 5:46
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
APKTRI wrote:

Last time I checked, Giant had ~11% market share in the manufacture and sale of bikes, or 2d most; Cervelo did not even have 2%. Perhaps Cervelo should look at what Giant is doing...

Sure, Giant has a pretty large hold on the manufacturing market, but they aren't selling many tri bikes in the US compared to what they should be for having, as you say, 11% share of the market, IMO. I can't imagine these god awful colors are going to help that either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is probably the same flunky who did the photos for Specialized 5 or so years ago. The cables on the Venge were easily a foot too long as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't blame the photographer. This is (should be) the responsibility of someone in Giant's marketing department. All of these photos should then be reviewed by the product directors before they go to print.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't punish the photographer for having to take pictures of a crappy bike that looks like crap! How is that their fault.

What is the old saying? "You can't polish a turd" Maybe we need to change that to "You can't photograph a turn"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride with my nose down 2 degeees. keeps me forward and some important equipment down there less pressed. i certainly don't care what angle the seat is at in a picture.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why everyone's getting butt hurt about blaming the photographer. The photographer was most likely someone from their marketing department. And for all you aying that you can't make an ugly bike look good in pictures, look at the pictures of the Fuji Norcom, cannondale slice, or hell, even the shiv. Literally an un-integrated bike is pretty ugly if you have the saddle tilted backward, the stem all the way up, and the pads 6" above the basebar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, Giant makes a great bike. They also have a worldwide market to promote to. Adverting doesn't sell the product it sells the lifestyle. Giant did the right thing by removing anything but the bike from the photo so the photo can be used anywhere. One shot to be used around the world - effective and cheap.
That said...the saddle up thing does look horrible.
And the colors? Well, giant is usually on-trend or ahead of it. When I worked for a Giant dealer their thoughts were matte black will have its day. So they were rolling out new color ways because of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That paint hurts my eyes

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
To be fair, do you think there's a photographer on earth that could make those color choices look good?

Good point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
APKTRI wrote:
[/img]

O....M....G that bike is hideous in so many ways. Shirley they could have fitjust a little more storage somewhere else on that bike? There isn't nearly enough.
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
It is possible the photographer was just really really good, and recognized a lost cause when they saw one, so put forth the minimum effort needed to photograph the bikes. Besides it was just a gig. If customer is happy with the outcome who are they to question it. Takes years of working professionally to learn to detach yourself like that.

What's that old adage. The incompetent and the very competent often look alike to those of average competency. Or something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Screw the photos. What is with those brakes. Behind the fork TPR? Gross.
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love a lot of giant's products. How can they put this AMAZING paint on a top of range road bike https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...0-disc-red-etap-2018, and other spec levels have good schemes too, yet both those trinity paint schemes make me absolutely sick to my stomach. Truly hideous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or how about the guy who took these?
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...of_Tim_Don_6457.html

nose pointed up, bottle not level with handlebars, cables/tubing plainly in view...
Last edited by: peace242000: Jul 18, 17 9:59
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Love a lot of giant's products. How can they put this AMAZING paint on a top of range road bike https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...0-disc-red-etap-2018, and other spec levels have good schemes too, yet both those trinity paint schemes make me absolutely sick to my stomach. Truly hideous.

I have the Advanced Pro 0 from 2016 and IMO this is the best paint scheme they have put out for their Trinitys so far. It has been all down hill from 2016. I do agree though, those TCR colors are freaking sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
APKTRI wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:

I have the Advanced Pro 0 from 2016 and IMO this is the best paint scheme they have put out for their Trinitys so far. It has been all down hill from 2016. I do agree though, those TCR colors are freaking sweet.

Yeah, I guess refreshing myself on the trinity 2017 colors, those were pretty ugly too. But the 2016s, they had a stealth matte black, very cool, and the white/blue/black wasn't bad at all. The 2017 and 2018 trinity paint jobs IMO just scream that giant doesn't give an F about their tri bikes. Looks like they let an intern or someone idiotic pick the final colors. Especially bc as you say, the tcr and most of the recent defy schemes as well, are sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShawnF wrote:
Don't blame the photographer. This is (should be) the responsibility of someone in Giant's marketing department. All of these photos should then be reviewed by the product directors before they go to print.

Exactly. I'll bring a carload of photo gear and lights to a shoot but I'm not about to bring torque wrenches and start reworking a clients $5,000 bike. đŸ˜…

Besides, those builds look like what age groupers are used to seeing.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Jul 18, 17 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The geometry on Giant Tri Bikes has always looked odd to me. The colors and builds are horrible.
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The geometry on Giant Tri Bikes has always looked odd to me

this x 100
something always looked a little strange about them to me
Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The occasional bad paint job aside, I like the Trinity profile. In Canada, I find Giant tends to offer very good value, especially if you get them end of season. Their house brand bits and pieces are getting pretty good as well. Maybe not at high end Bontrager levels yet, but good. That huge global market share helps their buying power with 3rd party component sellers.

Quote Reply
Re: What CHILD did Giant hire to take their 2018 photos? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weren't Giant Trinities the first tt bike to have an integrated front end? I can remember everyone moaning on here about integrated front ends when the Trinity with an integrated front end came out...they were the first bike to look like a 'super bike' imo.
Quote Reply