Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beards and Ironman [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a beard... it's not going anywhere. Per the specialized video, the excess testosterone from being manlier with a beard offsets any potential aero gains from not having one. I assume that applies to hydrodynamics as well. Plus, my wife says it's like kissing a girl, and while I'm not opposed to that, it's not her thing... but I've been drinking so take it for what it's worth.
Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
Sounds like you're more worried about the stupid pointless beard than your time.

No beard is faster than a beard. You know that. If time is important shave the silly beard. If not keep it.

On the other hand, like another poster said, go have a BM and lose a pound. It's pretty irrelevant unless Swimming short course in the pool. Then you shave.

Jloewe wrote:
Seems this thread has jumped the shark a bit. I was looking for either some type of data or a good laugh at some funny comments like the TYR speed stache video. Can we reset to those types of comments please? I've been looking to see if anyone has done the work but I can't seem to find any information. Now I know obviously sharp dressed as they may be ZZ Top would be slower in the water than a freshly shaved person. My wonder is is the beard going to save less than 30 seconds over the course of 2.4 miles? Or is it like shaved legs and going to earn time saved in minutes. It it's under a minute probably not worth the complaining from my girlfriend. If it's 2-3 minutes I'll put up with a couple days of "baaaaaabbbbyyy I miss the beard"

I shave all my stuff because I'm a fancyboy showoff...period. Probably faster too.
Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power gained from beard>aero properties lost from beard ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't happen to go by the handle of Iron Cowboy do you?

Seriously, just take the beard to the wind tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I have a beard... it's not going anywhere. Per the specialized video, the excess testosterone from being manlier with a beard offsets any potential aero gains from not having one. I assume that applies to hydrodynamics as well. Plus, my wife says it's like kissing a girl, and while I'm not opposed to that, it's not her thing... but I've been drinking so take it for what it's worth.

As a very good friend of mine says, if you don't like beards you're obviously not riding the right one.
Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
... my wife says it's like kissing a girl, and while I'm not opposed to that, it's not her thing... but I've been drinking so take it for what it's worth.

Depending on the girls involved, having a beard might be like kissing a girl, too

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
mike s wrote:
I had to grow a beard for my job, not a 2 inch trimmed beard, the thing that sucked was swimming, not matter what I was getting water in my mouth. It acts like a huge sponge. Personally I think think the whole beard movement is pretty lame now, but to each is own.

Had to grow a beard for a job?
Lumberjack? Or, blending in to not be seen as an infidel?

Barista?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Half out of curiosity, half out of trying to steal any seconds of free/no work speed I can. I was wondering how much a beard effects the open water swim in an Ironman? For a point of reference I have a short, well trimmed, jawline beard right now. Bald head. I've seen the Specialized video about leg hair, and beards didn't seem to effect anything on the bike. How about the swim though? Is it measurable and 1-2 seconds per a 100/m? Because that would be a lot in longer races. Anyone have any answers? Or at least some good beard jokes?

Off topic, but after IMMT I'm considering going epic beard.

yes it will measurably slow you down. All the "examples" sited here are people being successful in spite of the drag, not because of it.

Off topic but the "epic beard" thing is a fad that, like many fads, will be looked back at with amusement. Not saying don't do it, because the world needs more laughs not less!
Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Off topic but the "epic beard" thing is a fad that, like many fads, will be looked back at with amusement.

A new mullet for a new millennium

Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think my beard makes much difference from the races and testing I have done with/without. I'm keeping it...got to compensate for my baldness somehow.

ajthomas wrote:
Off topic but the "epic beard" thing is a fad that, like many fads, will be looked back at with amusement. Not saying don't do it, because the world needs more laughs not less!

So you are telling me that I shouldn't shave my beard into mutton chops?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rock a beard. But I live in Austin, and everybody here has beards. This guy has a beard too, and I heard he rocks 1:20/100 splits, bikes a sub 5 hour IM split and BQ's in every marathon.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I rock a beard. But I live in Austin, and everybody here has beards." Sounds like a great reason to grow a beard, because everyone in town has one. Since everyone has one then you should just conform with the hipster wannabee look. This statement seems the consensus on the beard fad. After all, there's nothing cooler than seeing a 20 year old with a grizzled beard. It looks so natural.

DougEFresh wrote:
I rock a beard. But I live in Austin, and everybody here has beards. This guy has a beard too, and I heard he rocks 1:20/100 splits, bikes a sub 5 hour IM split and BQ's in every marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
"I rock a beard. But I live in Austin, and everybody here has beards." Sounds like a great reason to grow a beard, because everyone in town has one. Since everyone has one then you should just conform with the hipster wannabee look. This statement seems the consensus on the beard fad. After all, there's nothing cooler than seeing a 20 year old with a grizzled beard. It looks so natural.

DougEFresh wrote:

If everyone is doing it, can it truly be called hipster? Hipsters follow underground trends, and go to shows of bands you've never heard of--because hipsters were the only ones there and they killed the band so they could say they were the only fans of Cthulu's Fallen Deathcore Indie Jazz Hands Band.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
After all, there's nothing cooler than seeing a 20 year old with a grizzled beard. It looks so natural.

In Lancaster PA*, maybe?

* If he gets married at 16, so he can start growing it then, 4 years worth can get kinda grizzly

Last edited by: RandMart: Jul 20, 17 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the Amish race, it isn't the beard that slows us down, it's the hat, pants, and suspenders...

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: Beards and Ironman [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well at least suspenders guy has a place to store his dip for the run...
Quote Reply

Prev Next