Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
i have been riding conti 4k's, supersonics, and the new grand prix tt for the past 4 years. not a SINGLE flat (race and long registered century rides get latex tubes). i rencently rode some conti 28mm grand touring sports for a few hundred miles, will use them till they die since i already have them.

i think people are 1) riding too high pressure, 2) too fat, 3) poor bike handlers.

Or they don't install tubes properly, don't inspect tires and pull out glass that eventually will make its way thru the casing.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" For you it may not be a bad experience but you are not the average newbie triathlete. Changing a flat can range from many minutes, to hours, to calling a uber/cab/spouse for the regular joe. Have a couple of flats, go to a bike shop to get a replacement tire... the new bike shop says "no wonder you had so many flat, you were riding xyz"." They offer up gatorskins, yada yada, the original LBS now looks like a bad shop for recommending flat-prone tire"

I get what you're saying, Thomas, but I don't think its possible to manage such errant expectations across the population. Far more responsible of a bike shop to teach the buyer about tire qualities such as puncture resistance, rolling resistance, traction, etc as well as how to change a flat instead of just hawking poor tire choices for riders' intended usage. I'm not really trying to badmouth Gatorskins. I just think they are OVER-prescribed by bike shops, etc. for exactly the reason you mention, and also because the bike shop folks generally aren't as well informed about such things as we might imagine they are. Lots of old lore and myths still getting handed down, in the face of contrary real world evidence. And I think that's a disservice to the athletes.
Last edited by: TriBriGuy: Jul 18, 17 12:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many miles would you put on a SS tire before you deem them no longer race-worthy? I've always felt that fresh tires (<500mi) is one of the best bets for puncture resistance for your 'A' race.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
How many miles would you put on a SS tire before you deem them no longer race-worthy? I've always felt that fresh tires (<500mi) is one of the best bets for puncture resistance for your 'A' race.

I have ridden so many SS down to the chords but never on the front, only the rear do I do that. I only run the front a for a couple hundred of miles per JoshP rec regarding loss of aero after relatively small amount of miles.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. You were more concerned (rightfully) about the drag on the front tire rather than its puncture resistance. I didn't even think of that and would have worried more about the rear tire.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
" For you it may not be a bad experience but you are not the average newbie triathlete. Changing a flat can range from many minutes, to hours, to calling a uber/cab/spouse for the regular joe. Have a couple of flats, go to a bike shop to get a replacement tire... the new bike shop says "no wonder you had so many flat, you were riding xyz"." They offer up gatorskins, yada yada, the original LBS now looks like a bad shop for recommending flat-prone tire"

I get what you're saying, Thomas, but I don't think its possible to manage such errant expectations across the population. Far more responsible of a bike shop to teach the buyer about tire qualities such as puncture resistance, rolling resistance, traction, etc as well as how to change a flat instead of just hawking poor tire choices for riders' intended usage. I'm not really trying to badmouth Gatorskins. I just think they are OVER-prescribed by bike shops, etc. for exactly the reason you mention, and also because the bike shop folks generally aren't as well informed about such things as we might imagine they are. Lots of old lore and myths still getting handed down, in the face of contrary real world evidence. And I think that's a disservice to the athletes.

Sure I get an agree with everything you are saying as well but the reality is that not everyone is a disconcerning customer. Frankly the majority are not and hence why it is an recommendation for Gatorskins. Is it better to teach a person to fish than give them a fish, you bet, but the reality is most people don't have the time and patience to do so. Heck how many time do posters on here talk about something in a link or a pic and then not post the pic/link... People are really lazy.

Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Interesting. You were more concerned (rightfully) about the drag on the front tire rather than its puncture resistance. I didn't even think of that and would have worried more about the rear tire.

I am not worried about puncture resistance in general. Years of training on Veloflex Records and Supersonics in Tucson, with tons of spikey things everywhere, cemented the idea of just how irrational we are when it comes to flat tires.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone make a latex tube with 80mm valves

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I have over 500 miles on my Corsa Speed with no flats and most of those miles were in the crappy freeway shoulder with plenty of glass. Latex + orange seal.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I have found. I use replaceable core latex tubes with Continental extenders. Work like a charm.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

Not that I know of
What latex you running? I'll make the switch. Just signed up for St.George and usually run butyl tubes. Figured I'd use try latex with my Flo wheels and 4000s tires
Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vitoria makes a good latex, removable core to fit an extender easy enough. Without the extender they are 50mm long. Get a 60mm extender for a total of 110mm, perfect for a 90mm rim. I think there are some 30mm extenders out there for 60mm runs.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think I will order a pair of these as well and try them out. Think I will try them with tubes first as you've done and if I like them i'll switch to tubeless. Do you apply the orange seal before your rides/races? My only experience with sealant is after the puncture.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: 10 watts lost to bad tires [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

Not that I know of

What latex you running? I'll make the switch. Just signed up for St.George and usually run butyl tubes. Figured I'd use try latex with my Flo wheels and 4000s tires

I use Vittoria Latex

Quote Reply

Prev Next