Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence
Quote | Reply
An interesting study - you can find a link to the actual study results in the article but the article provides a very good summary. I'm a middle-aged white male and have never had the police use any type of force against me (well, as an adult. I grew up on a military base until age 18 and the MPs really have no sense of humor at all). But in the civilian world, not once.

https://nyti.ms/2k6HXqg
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with these kinds of studies is that there's so many variables left on the table. A cop has years of experience in judging the signs of someone being a problem and not, and they are subtle signs. Person to person interactions are so complicated. There's 100's of communication elements beyond the actual words spoken. So many variations of tone and visual queues. That's where the real communication is occurring. So when an attempt is being made to judge a cop's response to a confrontation, it's not reasonable to discount the impact of the cop's experience and his judgement re. all the tonal and non-verbal queues.

Sure, some cops are shitheads. Some of every group are shitheads. But cops have a tremendously difficult job and a lot of folks don't treat them very w

Good to see some more piling on re. BLM tho. Imo that whole movement is just one more misguided attempt to blame external forces for internal problems.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is the shitheads have extraordinary power, life and death. As far as the sixth sense with signs of behavior there is no proof that your sixth sense is even anywhere near reality.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
The problem is the shitheads have extraordinary power, life and death. As far as the sixth sense with signs of behavior there is no proof that your sixth sense is even anywhere near reality.

What's your proposal for a workable alternative?

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only things I see working are a complete overhaul of society. Other than that train the cops on how to use their guns and make the "accidentally went off" bullshit not an excuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, um, what's missing from this study is the behavior of the perp that led to the reported kind of officer aggression.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
The only things I see working are a complete overhaul of society.

That's unworkable.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. My biggest takeaway was what RangerGress stated - the details about police shootings just don't support the BLMers of the world and this Professor started with the expectation he'd prove the opposite.

The rest of the interactions are extraordinarily complex and started with some action that caused the police to be there in the first place. One of my best friends is a Sheriff deputy and I used to go on ride alongs with him all the time. I'd say atleast 20 ridealongs some years ago in a town that is know to be very safe. The shit that went down on a regular basis shocked me at first, as well as some of the interactions we found ourselves in and how fast they escalated from calm to life or death. The most memorable involved simple domestic violence calls - some really crazy things happened on some of those calls.

Not a job I would ever want to could ever do.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Yeah, um, what's missing from this study is the behavior of the perp that led to the reported kind of officer aggression.

Haven't you heard? In many corners of society/identity politics, you're no longer allowed to assign blame to the victim, no matter the circumstance. We're zero sum now. Black and white, no pun intended.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard Prof Study on Police Shootings and Police Violence [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Haven't you heard? In many corners of society/identity politics, you're no longer allowed to assign blame to the victim, no matter the circumstance.

This isn't one of those corners, so let him talk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
An interesting study - you can find a link to the actual study results in the article but the article provides a very good summary. I'm a middle-aged white male and have never had the police use any type of force against me (well, as an adult. I grew up on a military base until age 18 and the MPs really have no sense of humor at all). But in the civilian world, not once.

https://nyti.ms/2k6HXqg

This pretty much applies to everybody, regardless of race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2plo4FOgIU

It's really very simple: Every cop wants to go home at the end of their shift.

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Last edited by: timberwolf: Jul 17, 17 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

You know whats also missing? Racial biases and the "little big man syndrome" that too mny cops have. Both of those lead to aggressive behaviors and abuses. Also, much of that happens once theyre in jail.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply