Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRAM: slowtwitchers versus reality [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eTAP so high because they actually have not used it :)... just kidding its ok.. but I still prefer Di2 to eTap, I just don't prefer the front deraillier shifting of the SRAM system its not for me.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM: slowtwitchers versus reality [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
Because we have too many dentists in here that skew the numbers with their over priced bikes. They must keep up with the latest bike fads to impress their fellow dentists on their coffee rides.

Agreed. A poll of STers isn't quite the same dataset as what Kona qualifiers show up with on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM: slowtwitchers versus reality [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
Because we have too many dentists in here that skew the numbers with their over priced bikes. They must keep up with the latest bike fads to impress their fellow dentists on their coffee rides.

I have 5 bikes. The least expensive was a 2003 Litespeed Ultimate. The most, a 2012 Colnago C59. I'm not a dentist and I live off less that $25k annually.

If you meant the above in pink, kindly forgive me. If not, stop being a jealous dick. You too, PennBen.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Jul 17, 17 20:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
gary p wrote:
Slowman wrote:
bloodyshogun wrote:
I am also saying that you have to exclude Ultegra DI2 (which I assume is on many tri-bikes).

eTAP sits in the middle of the 2 shimano groups. ultegra di2 is between $1000 and $1500 just for a shift kit upgrade from mechanical to electronic. eTAP is $1500 to $1600. dura ace di2 is from $2000 to $2500. this, the last time i checked, and this is if you factor in UK mail order into the U.S.

You're only looking at this from a "build from scratch" or "upgrade" position. Look at the price difference between complete tri bikes with o.e. equipped UDi2 and, when you can find one, Etap Red. You're talking $3-$5000. Yeah, there's usually a commensurate difference in other components, but that's a price gulf many just aren't willing or able to cross no matter how much they'd prefer eTap.

no i'm not. i've written a number of times in the thread that a very real reason for the disparity are the original equipment choices of bike makers. i suspect the difference in the raw cost between ultegra and dura ace di2 versus eTAP is roughly similar, that eTAP is a bit more than ultegra but a fair bit less than dura ace. it's just the shift system i'm talking about. i don't see any reason why you couldn't pair the eTAP shift system with cheaper stuff (cranks, cassette, chain brakes, etc.).

i'm not advocating for eTAP, i'm just trying to understand where the market is, so that i can charge a bunch of money and seem a smart guy when manufacturers and retailers listen to me pontificate on the state of the market.

I haven't seen anyone mention that ETap has only been available as individual components for about 6 months. I was looking at building a 1x ETap bike and it took me awhile before I found a blip box. SRAM seemed to have the road group out much earlier than the Tri group and they tended to be complete groups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The survey, bike counts, and the questions & conclusions are totally unrelated.
  • Kona and Roth bikes were bought over a number of years.
  • Di2 has been in the market for years, eTap for less than a year.
  • Component groups on complete bikes are heavily driven by bike brands and the component vendors... Shimano has massive marketing, market share, and influence compared to others.
  • As everyone commented, the survey asks about future, and the Kona and Roth counts represent the past.
  • As others commented, Di2 is available at two significantly different price points. eTap is only one price, in the middle.

By design, Di2 will outnumber eTap until the future dilutes the past and eTap is available at a price point competitive with Ultegra Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was one of the 35% that wanted eTap as my next shifting platform in your survey. I was also one of the 26 Campy users at Kona last year.

I have since made the jump to eTap as part of an upgrade from 10sp to 11sp. The fact that Campy 10/11sp use the same hub was the reason I was able to make the switch (the drivetrain is all SRAM with the exception of a Campy cassette, I can report that it works great). If I had to purchase new wheels on top of the drivetrain components it would still be a want to have and would have to wait for my next tri bike purchase which is still off in the future.

I think it will take a while for that 35% to make its way through the consumer purchasing cycle. eTap hasn't been available for very long. Looks like it is beginning to be spec'd on more road bikes but very few tri bikes so far and as pointed out they are at the high end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't vote but like the idea of the etap BUT the blip box is terrible (at least the one I've seen on the demo bikes in Roth last year) and would be a no go for that kinda cash.
Since I'm running the born dead di2 DA for 5 yrs when it came on a bike for 3.2k complete, there are no parts to upgrade on it, gotta ride it to death.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I asked SRAM to open an account they said minimum purchase must be $250,000 per year. Shimano was no where near that high.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM: slowtwitchers versus reality [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
When I asked SRAM to open an account they said minimum purchase must be $250,000 per year. Shimano was no where near that high.

OEM spec rules all
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM: slowtwitchers versus reality [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:

Wow. I have never heard about the costs of SRAM. I do remember people saying shimano was ridiculous as well. Perhaps they never inquired to SRAM. Interesting stuff.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, I was reading some articles discussing how individuals will favor a decision if they see others doing it at a much higher rate than if they obtain information that supports the same decision. The classic example(s) are from Thaler's book, Nudge, where people cut their home energy expenditure at a significantly higher rate if they see their neighbors energy use habits vs if they receive educational material about the benefits of using less electricity.

So, ST'rs favor the decisions of other ST'rs BUT the decision-making consensus(es) on ST are very much information driven.

Now, we can pat ourselves on the back and say we're a cut above, but I have to wonder if it's more-so because the ST forum has been and continued to evolve to be a condensed information sharing platform, leading to much more educated decisions, such as with component selection.

I'd argue that it's less a characteristic of ST'rs and more-so the complete lack of information widely available. I mean, go read the marketing hype over on Bikerumor. I go there to see the newest stuff, but you can forget about it if you're looking for objective information, and thus readers of that site are left with less of an ability to make informed purchasing decisions compared to if that site provided real feedback. Then there's DCRainmaker - is there any doubt if you surveyed people who report that they visit his site at least once a week and compare those individuals to people who have never visited his website or even heard of it, that the DCR visitors are going to have much more informed product opinions with regard to past and future purchasing decisions?

Information - it's powerful when it's distributed in a way that helps people discriminate in their decision-making. I think that sums up the discrepancy between ST'rs and normal people: normal people are stupid.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 18, 17 19:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
J7 wrote:
#2. ETap

but that isn't reflected in the actual bike counts. are you saying:

A. etap the preferred system, it's just that you can't afford it?
B. the poll is ahead of what people are actually using? they haven't had a chance to buy the new tri bike yet?

i ask because i can appreciate that a lot of people can't afford electronic, but even the electronic bike counts show a big preference for shimano. so, i can only assume that:

1. the poll is a leading rather than trailing indicator;
2. OE spec trumps user preference;
3. something else.

Shimano's dominance in OEM is the reason IMO. eTap hasn't exactly been easy to get until recently, either.

Edit: Looking at Hawley, their next availability for eTap Aero is September. It's just not readily available yet. Not consistently anyway.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Last edited by: Jim@EROsports: Jul 18, 17 20:50
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM: slowtwitchers versus reality [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to de-shimano my bikes (all of them) for like a decade now. I just ordered another ultegra derailleur lol

One of these days!

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed that Shimano owns the OEM market. Sram is no where near close to Shimano.

That being said, if I was building up a bike I would be going eTap for sure. Without question. I have built up all of my bikes from scratch and they all have Sram on them. 5 bikes in total with 3 road and 2 mtb. Our other bikes in the family are all MTB bikes and they came with Shimano and since they are for the kids I just leave them.

Now that my son is starting to do triathlons and is just about ready for a road bike, it will be Sram.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM: slowtwitchers versus reality [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me - "does it shift consistently when I move this trigger"? --> if yes --> preferred system
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

SRAM offers a 11-42 cassette in the PG 1130.

Bulky at 538g.
Range - 11,13,15,17,19,22,25,28,32,36,42
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM: slowtwitchers versus reality [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
if I was building up a bike

and this is the huge falldown in the tri bike market as of now. frameset sales are a joke. the prices for them are insulting. huge missed opportunity by bike makers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just following up on this a bit. We see very few clients looking to change the OEM spec on their bikes. Component spec is considered during the initial purchase, but upgrading after the purchase isn't really considered. Instead, consumers are choosing to spend money on items they believe makes them faster, more comfortable, or both. Upgrading drivetrain components isn't seen as doing either. Will installing eTap over Ui2 make you faster? More comfortable? Not really, so why not spend money on components that will? Wheels, tires, hydration set ups, etc.

I do believe you'll see an uptick in aero bar replacement with the new offerings coming out and the understanding it's a great way to achieve better comfort/adjustability and speed.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I buy slightly used if possible same as I do with a car purchase. Some frameset pricing is a joke but that leads us to another discussion not for this topic. I think Premier will be offering framesets at a reasonable price.

For the record, I have not purchased a new bike in over 2 decades and have built up over 20 bikes in that time.
Last edited by: BMANX: Jul 19, 17 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you hit it right on the mark. Unless you are doing the build yourself, you are not going to change anything other than contact points, wheels and maybe a brake upgrade if you buy into the aero brakes and your bike did not come with such an option OEM (built into the forks)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
6 months ago, in a Slowtwitch poll:
What is your preferred shifting platform for your next tri bike?
Shimano Di2: 42%
SRAM eTap: 35%
SRAM 1x: 8%
Other: 5%

why are slowtwitchers so different from the rest of the world?
Could it be price and/or availability?

Shimano currently has two versions of Di2; SRAM offers one version of eTap.

Ultegra Di2 costs significatnly less than eTap.

The counts listed combine two Shimano groups vs the one SRAM group.

Is there a breakdown in the count(s) of Ultegra and Dura-Ace?
That is: compare UDi2 vs eTap and also DA Di2 vs eTap?

Also, what's the worldwide availability, and also pricing of SRAM eTap, vs both Di2 specs?
I am almost 100% certain that Shimano costs less in Europe compared with the cost of the same components in NA, and also SRAM (compared w/ DA Di2).

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jul 19, 17 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you need a few more poll questions to get the information that you attempted to ascertain in this poll. Possibly: What was your current bike spec'd with and what do you ride now, or what is your current drivetrain (OE Shimano Mech, OE Shimano Di, switched to Shimano Mech, switched to Shimano Di, OE SRAM mech, etc.)

Here's to hoping you can profit greatly from the ST users getting polled.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM: slowtwitchers versus reality [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Hybridlete wrote:

If you meant the above in pink, kindly forgive me. If not, stop being a jealous dick. You too, PennBen.

I agree with you. No reason to just hate on people who make more money. Besides the one dentist I know would ride 99% of the forum into the ground.
Quote Reply

Prev Next