Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
This wouldn't surprise me - or a strong take down and attempted choke until the ref sorts it out and all hell breaks loose in the ring. This could even happen in McGregor gets his bell rung and acts out of pure instinct. If this is a legit, straight-up boxing match the outcome is obvious. However, if the fix is in we might see such a move from McGregor and the resulting mega re-match. With this much cash involved nothing would surprise me. If it goes past the first three rounds I'll be convinced it's a sham.

that was in the contract, the question gets asked a lot. Not only does mcGregor lose all the money he was supposed to earn, but can be sued along with the UFC. so I'm doubting it's going to happen

If I won the huge powerball the other day, I wouldn't have a problem putting it all on Mayweather.
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
sphere wrote:
Everyone saying Conor doesn't stand a chance makes me think he might have a chance.

But then, I'm an idiot.

I've been saying Conner is going to knock him out in the sencond or third round since they annouced the fight.

You were correct about Rousey every time...

I hope you are correct about this fight, I would love nothing more than to see Mayweather get knocked on his ass. Afraid it is just going to be another lame dance off like the last "boxing match" he was involved in. Definitely won't be paying to watch it.
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Is this an actual sanctioned boxing match? Specifically, does this count as a professional fight against Mayweather's record of 49-0? It is some kind of title fight? Trying to understand if a loss would really make him 49-1 or if this is more an an exhibition and his 49-0 record is untouched.

It is sanctioned, which is why they have to fight with 10 ounce gloves. There was a request to drop down to 8 ounce gloves, but the NSAC denied the request and their decision is final because it is a sanctioned fight.

Many have claimed Floyd took the fight so he can retire an even 50-0.

I said the NSAC lost all credibility when they sanctioned this fight. Then glove-gate happened. And people question whether boxing has been rigged. Btw, I'm sure you know, but they are using the 8oz gloves.
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If McGregor goes psycho mode and lands an unexpected haymaker or two it could get interesting, but I'm convinced Mayweather dances and does just enough to win in a unanimous decision. He'll avoid any big blows because McGregor realistically doesn't have the speed or tactics to get inside for a big shot and doesn't have the discipline, speed or training to stick with Mayweather on shots landed. Conor will be toast by the 5th and at that point it's just matter of whether Mayweather cares to finish him off or play it safe. He always plays it safe, he'll do it here too.

It'll be monumentally boring, besides some hype to start and maybe a post-fight scuffle between the corners, which if it happens will only be to spruce up what was an otherwise boring-ass 'fight'. I'm not paying or watching, I'll catch the lowlights on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My take on the fight and how it happens:

As I've said before: Mayweather wins easy.

How: First few rounds to feel out and time McGregor. McGregor won't be going for broke early, but he isn't a boxer and this is a different game he hasn't played before. I think he'll try to throw heavy punches (when he does) and will tire. Rounds 4 and 5 you'll see McGregor start to tire a bit, and Mayweather feigning and starting to lead. He's going to be working the body for this fight. Break down an area that hasn't see this kind cumulative shots. Rounds 6 and 7, McGregor is tired, arms are heavy, and he is starting to lunge with shots. Mayweather counters at will on those lunging shots. He won't want to take a head shot KO, so he'll try to protect his head as he gets countered, and Mayweather leads. This will result in going up top, bringing McGregor's hands to cover and destroying him downstairs on his way out. That body work will be McGregor's undoing. I say he gets knocked down 3 times in this fight, and will get stopped by Mayweather in round 7 or 8.
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's making so much money it gave him a boner...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Conor will be toast by the 5th and at that point it's just matter of whether Mayweather cares to finish him off or play it safe. He always plays it safe, he'll do it here too.

Unless you count the cheap shot on the guy trying to apologize to him Mayweather hasn't finished anyone off since 1999.
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

I said the NSAC lost all credibility when they sanctioned this fight. Then glove-gate happened. And people question whether boxing has been rigged. Btw, I'm sure you know, but they are using the 8oz gloves.

Yep, I saw that. A "one time exception." Just icing on the cake of this "exhibition," rather than a legit boxing match.

Mayweather is a piece of shit, but I hope he kills 'em.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Yep, I saw that. A "one time exception." Just icing on the cake of this "exhibition," rather than a legit boxing match.

I'm sure he will. But what a waste of a hundred bucks. You still buying the PPV?
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

I'm sure he will. But what a waste of a hundred bucks. You still buying the PPV?

Already purchased. My entire family is down in Dallas for my grandmother's 100th birthday. Me, wifie, dad, and my nephew/godson really want to watch to the circus, so I purchased it via the UFC app and brought down my Apple TV to stream it live. So, we have a pile of alcohol and are going to watch this bad boy together!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't take it anymore. I paid the $99.99.

Quote | Reply
What?

There are a lot of reasons McGregor won't win, but conditioning isn't one of them.

Here is my prediction, speaking in boxing terms:

R1:
CM: T: 40; L: 10; PP 5
FM: T 25; L: 15; PP2

R1:

R2:
CM: T: 60; L: 15; PP 2
FM: T 30; L: 22; PP5

R3:
CM: T: 40; L: 10; PP 2
FM: T 40; L: 30; PP10

R4:
CM: T: 60; L: 25; PP 2
FM: T 30; L: 20; PP10

R5:

R6:
CM: T: 35; L: 8; PP 0
FM: T 40; L: 30; PP18

R7:
CM: T: 20; L: 2; PP 0
FM: T 40; L: 25; PP12

TKO FMW 2:20 into round 7

He doesn't get out conditioned, he gets outboxed. Especially in rounds 5-7 after FMW figures out what a one trick pony he is. By round 7 he is tagging him at will. CMG is frustrated and throwing shitty offense, which FMW counters at will. Fight is stopped before CMG gets killed.

And yes, bought, paid for, and expecting a terribly one sided fight.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different conditioning. He'll tire throwing punches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Already purchased. My entire family is down in Dallas for my grandmother's 100th birthday. Me, wifie, dad, and my nephew/godson really want to watch to the circus, so I purchased it via the UFC app and brought down my Apple TV to stream it live. So, we have a pile of alcohol and are going to watch this bad boy together!

What Panera are you going to be at, maybe I'll swing by.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know a free link? Sky owns rights here in nz and don't have sky...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to mention absorbing a lot more punches than he's accustomed. Getting hit can tire you out over multiple rounds even without the power and Mayweather will land a lot of blows. I boxed very actively in my younger years and did well until I finally reached the level where opponents could really punch. It is unimaginable how hard a real boxer can punch, in any weight class. Conor is a really tough dude and very skilled but he's likely to be surprised when Mayweather sits down on a punch, body or head. I'm still thinking about purchasing, otherwise I'll monitor JSAs play-by-play.
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LET'S GET IT ON!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You going to give us a update for each round?
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. My connection is strong. Prelims on right now. I think I will be posting on the Mayweather/McGreggor thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just start a new one. JSAs boxing match thread.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: That 'boxing match' *you know which one I mean* [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPeterson wrote:
What?

There are a lot of reasons McGregor won't win, but conditioning isn't one of them.

He doesn't get out conditioned, he gets outboxed. Especially in rounds 5-7 after FMW figures out what a one trick pony he is. By round 7 he is tagging him at will. CMG is frustrated and throwing shitty offense, which FMW counters at will. Fight is stopped before CMG gets killed.

And yes, bought, paid for, and expecting a terribly one sided fight.

Andy

You were saying? Pretty sure that was a tired "I have nothing left" McGregor in there. Not someone who was sharp and just getting out boxed (though he really was outboxed as well).

Different kind of conditioning boxing v MMA. Throwing big punches is draining. Turns out 3 rounds of big punches is all it'll take.
Quote Reply

Prev Next