Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give him a huge kiss from Uncle Tibbsy
Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Yeah, that was a good scene. She really is walking death if she wants to be, but like you say; she still retains enough of her old persona that she doesn't just kill without provocation.

The GMAN wrote:
I saw it differently in that she was trying to pick a fight with them since they were Lannister soldiers. They reacted by laughing at her "kill the Queen" comment instead of getting fired up. So she decided they were alright and let them be.

Good point. I'm re-watching it right now on HBO Now. I need to look at what she did in light of your take on it. Thanks!

She's been trained as an assassin, not some kick ass tank like the Hound. Jees, even he nearly got his ass handed to him in a fight against four Lannisters in an Inn (and her original sword tutor was killed off screen by a couple of Kings guards also)

She might be joking with them, but she was never going to a) take them on b) if she did take them on, win a stand up fight.

Maybe she doesn't want to kill without provocation, but I think it's more of case of only wanting to kill those on her kill list (which is remarkably short after four seasons of carnage since she put it together).

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet another good perspective on Miss Arya. Thanks! :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never. Watched. A. Single. Episode.

#notimpressed #nodesire

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
Never. Watched. A. Single. Episode.

#notimpressed #nodesire

That's cool with me. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a general comment. Not directed to you specifically. I've not even seen an intro into a single episdoe. I've only ever seen commercials. I think I understand the draw, but as a show drawn out over seasons? No. I like LOR movies, but I'm not into it. I know it's different strokes, different folks, but it seems that I'm a part of the 0.01% that's never seen it.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
Just a general comment. Not directed to you specifically. I've not even seen an intro into a single episdoe. I've only ever seen commercials. I think I understand the draw, but as a show drawn out over seasons? No. I like LOR movies, but I'm not into it. I know it's different strokes, different folks, but it seems that I'm a part of the 0.01% that's never seen it.

Er, OK. I'm not sure why you felt the need to share that on a thread talking about the new series, but hey, I'm sure you have your reasons.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:

Er, OK. I'm not sure why you felt the need to share that on a thread talking about the new series, but hey, I'm sure you have your reasons.

LOL. I never quite got the psychology behind folks that respond to a thread like this just to say they never watched it. Like you say though there must be reasons.

Not a fan of the Ed Sheeran role as I thought it a bit clunky but heard a podcast that Masie Williams has a huge crush so the producers set it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:

LOL. I never quite got the psychology behind folks that respond to a thread like this just to say they never watched it. Like you say though there must be reasons.

Not a fan of the Ed Sheeran role as I thought it a bit clunky but heard a podcast that Masie Williams has a huge crush so the producers set it up.

It's the same psychology that makes someone jump into a TV thread to say they never watch TV. Makes them feel superior.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:

It's the same psychology that makes someone jump into a TV thread to say they never watch TV. Makes them feel superior.

Well, that or,....there's another thread about TV series evangelism and people who never get into some of those popular series, and Kahuna included an article about how GoT is harmful, and just maybe this thread is not solely about just what you guys have been talking about for the past 10 posts or so.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been following the last third of this thread and I'm reminded of something, especially with the observation by one of the posters that he's never seen an episode of GoT: the TV/cable universe is a very diverse and very fragmented environment nowadays.

While it's true that this first episode of Thrones saw 16.1 million viewers (a 50% increase over the season 6 premiere), terrestrial television shows of the past used to regularly draw in far more viewers, both on a relative as well at total numbers basis. The final episode of "Seinfeld," for instance, drew anywhere from 76.3 million to 108 million viewers, depending on the source cited. There are also many past series that used to consistently draw in more viewers. (The same still holds true for broadcast network news shows versus individual news shows on cable, by the way, though the number difference is getting smaller by the year.)

I think I read somewhere that "The Cosby Show," at the height of its popularity, typically garnered a 34-plus Nielsen ratings share, meaning more than a third of all televisions in the U.S. were tuned in to Bill Cosby's comedy show on the night it would air. I'm not sure any of today's TV shows, including "The Walking Dead" and "The Big Bang Theory" (they finished #1 and #2 in 2016) even come close to matching "Cosby" or "Roseanne" or "Seinfeld" or any of the earlier big-time TV shows of most decades past.

TWD, for instance, finished 2016 with an 8.8 rating (or 11.27 million viewers) in the key 18-49 age demographic. That was still far more than Thrones in that demographic, which finished that same year in third place (tied with "Empire") with an 18-49 age demographic rating of 5.3, or 6.73 million viewers. Of course, total viewership numbers across all ages would be higher for these shows, but still much less than back in TV's heyday, I would aver.

So, in the end, it wouldn't be surprising that more people have probably never seen an episode of GoT (or TWD or Big Bang, etc.) than have actually seen one.

Maybe we're all just niche or boutique viewers of television (whatever its form, including cable, broadcast, streaming and whatnot) these days, rather than the old-time viewers many of us once were?

Last edited by: big kahuna: Jul 19, 17 6:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no one watches TV. We think everyone likes what we like because we live in little bubbles. For some reason I can not explain I end up in nerd bubbles and nerds make me angry, sad and uncomfortable. So the faces of nerds when you say, "I don't really like comic books." or "I don't understand why superheroes are so popular." or worst of all, "I like Star Trek and Star Wars. They are both fun. No, I really don't know a lot about either I just enjoy watching them."
Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Oh no one watches TV. We think everyone likes what we like because we live in little bubbles. For some reason I can not explain I end up in nerd bubbles and nerds make me angry, sad and uncomfortable. So the faces of nerds when you say, "I don't really like comic books." or "I don't understand why superheroes are so popular." or worst of all, "I like Star Trek and Star Wars. They are both fun. No, I really don't know a lot about either I just enjoy watching them."

Good points.

Sometimes art is just meant to be pretty or just be purely entertaining. No need for deeper subtext, or all the textual analysis that ends up making much of "art" such a grind these days. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
there's another thread about TV series evangelism and people who never get into some of those popular series, and Kahuna included an article about how GoT is harmful, and just maybe this thread is not solely about just what you guys have been talking about for the past 10 posts or so.

For the folks who seemingly forgot that this is the LR ... ^^^^^^^ ... bingo!

Just some simple commentary, which I thought might bring out the, "Man! You've gotta see it; it's great. Better than HoC or BB!"

I don't recall other commentaries for previous threads about Breaking Bad, The Wire, House of Cards, Dexter, etc. having claims of superiority. Didn't know that was "a thing." I guess, sorry to those who have felt inferior!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worst GoT thread ever. What a shit show.

Someone start a new one for this season and have a do-over.

Quote Reply
Re: Winter is (Almost) Here [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Worst GoT thread ever. What a shit show.

Someone start a new one for this season and have a do-over.

From my experience, most threads in the LR eventually veer off into tangential -- though often interesting and enlightening -- directions. It's what makes the room fun, I think. :-)

But yes: someone needs to start another GoT thread, because this one is now irredeemable. Or is that deplorable? LOL!

Quote Reply

Prev Next