Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does Quintana Need to Lose 5 lbs?
Quote | Reply
Serious question. Nairo looks the most "muscular" of the top GC guys. He almost looks more solid than 2-3 years ago when he had the explosive power on the steep climbs and was untouchable. Am I just seeing things here. Aru, Bardet, Froome, they are way "leaner". They are just lung+bones+heart. Quintana has all this extra muscle bulk like he could be doing triathlon or something crazy like that this year. Maybe Macca needs to put him on the cabbage and water program for the rest of the TdF, or Rob Gray should intercept him before the Vuelta and pair him down on the all good fat program so his meat gets less "marbled".

Or am I just seeing things because my TV is adding 5-10 lbs to all the supermodels and pro bikers on my screen?

Interestingly, depending on the source you look at, Quintana is around 2-4 lbs heavier than both Kipchoge and Bekele at the same height. Of course, he has to push a bike, but take that for what it is worth in terms of high mountains climbing.

I also realize he has the Giro in his legs, but so does Landa, although NQ had to push hard every day at the Giro.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 15, 17 6:15
Quote Reply
Re: Does Quintana Need to Lose 5 lbs? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After hearing that a six foot tall, 130 pound man won yesterday's stage, I am wondering the same thing. Finding the correct power/weight ratio is key to winning an endurance event, and so there goes your proof ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you "muscle shaming" Quintana? How dare you!? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Serious question.
Only if he wants to cede more time on time trials, and get blown off the road in flat stages, w/ nasty crosswinds.

devashish_paul wrote:
Nairo looks the most "muscular" of the top GC guys. He almost looks more solid than 2-3 years ago when he had the explosive power on the steep climbs and was untouchable. Am I just seeing things here. Aru, Bardet, Froome, they are way "leaner". They are just lung+bones+heart.
And they are a lot taller than NQ, right?

devashish_paul wrote:
Interestingly, depending on the source you look at, Quintana is around 2-4 lbs heavier than both Kipchoge and Bekele at the same height.
Wrong sport; cannot compare. And, I don't see either of those people riding two Grand Tours in the past 2mos.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He looks fine to me!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quintana just needs to start le Tour fresh and rested (no Giro in the future).
Quote Reply
Re: Does Quintana Need to Lose 5 lbs? [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:

But look at Landa on the Giro + TdF plan. Or maybe Landa has better bread and water from Sky, but I am sure Movistar has access to equivalent bakers and water bottlers.
Quote Reply
Re: Does Quintana Need to Lose 5 lbs? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Serious question.

Only if he wants to cede more time on time trials, and get blown off the road in flat stages, w/ nasty crosswinds.

devashish_paul wrote:
Nairo looks the most "muscular" of the top GC guys. He almost looks more solid than 2-3 years ago when he had the explosive power on the steep climbs and was untouchable. Am I just seeing things here. Aru, Bardet, Froome, they are way "leaner". They are just lung+bones+heart.

And they are a lot taller than NQ, right?

devashish_paul wrote:
Interestingly, depending on the source you look at, Quintana is around 2-4 lbs heavier than both Kipchoge and Bekele at the same height.

Wrong sport; cannot compare. And, I don't see either of those people riding two Grand Tours in the past 2mos.

In theory yes, but when we're talking about 12-20% grades, there is a big correlation. This is where NQ has been struggling when it gets really really steep and normally he would be riding away at will. . His watts are either down because of the Giro, or he is too heavy compared to previous years. He appears to look heavier. You are correct that he may cede more time in TT's, provided that he lose watts with loss in weight. But he might be more aero will less muscle mass.

And on the guys providing the Giro as the reason, that makes sense, but would love to see his power files from his Vuelta last year after the Tour. He was much more spunky on the steep climbs doing two grand tours close to each other. Also to the point on watts being down due to Giro, lets keep in mind, he's on his 3rd Grand Tour in 11 months.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 15, 17 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So he skipped out on the cortisone injection. Good for him.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Brushman wrote:

But look at Landa on the Giro + TdF plan. Or maybe Landa has better bread and water from Sky, but I am sure Movistar has access to equivalent bakers and water bottlers.
We also must not forget the significant loss of Valverde for Quintana & Movistar. As the tour progresses we are seeing the importance of team strength in all aspects. Imagine is Froome riding with limited or zero support.

Plus, Quintana's TT'ing is weak, losing 5 lbs would doubtful make a difference. I would love to see him fully prepared and better coached in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Does Quintana Need to Lose 5 lbs? [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Brushman wrote:

We also must not forget the significant loss of Valverde for Quintana & Movistar. As the tour progresses we are seeing the importance of team strength in all aspects. Imagine is Froome riding with limited or zero support.

Plus, Quintana's TT'ing is weak, losing 5 lbs would doubtful make a difference. I would love to see him fully prepared and better coached in the future.

Maybe we just need to get the drama over with and have Sky and Movistar sit down and trade Landa and Quintana. Thomas for Giro with Quintana support, Froome for Tour with Thomas support, Quintana for Vuelta with Froome support. Grand Tour sweep for team Sky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of the conspiracy variety:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/does-colombias-anti-doping-stand-up-to-scrutiny/

Quote from the article that really stands out to me was "For blood tests, there is a 48-hour window in which blood must be analysed once drawn from a rider. There is also a strict level of protocol involving transport, so in remote locations of Colombia, it's simply not feasible for blood to simply be flown from altitude to labs as it might be, for example, the United States."

Quintana's career really took off the season after they built the first anti doping facility in Columbia. However many expected him to be much better than he is today. Maybe the added scrutiny and increased testing had something to do with him "plateauing"? Many friends of mine have raced pro with guys from South America and I'm constantly told that south of the United States it becomes the wild west for drug usage.
Quote Reply
Re: Does Quintana Need to Lose 5 lbs? [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To this slant as a minimum, we know that a rider's HCT drops over a 3 week Grand Tour and perhaps 6 weeks in between was not enough to get those values into his normal range even with going back altitude. Do we know if he went back to altitude. In any case would be interesting to see his power file from Blockhaus vs Planche des Belle Filles. Two similar stage at the roughly the same point of both races.
Quote Reply