Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big Gulf Oil Find off Mexico's Coast
Quote | Reply
Is there any place that isn't awash in oil? Because it sure seems like new finds are cropping up all the time. "Peak oil," indeed.

"The first exploration well drilled by a private company off the coast of Mexico has struck oil.

The Houston offshore production company Talos Energy announced on Wednesday morning a "significant" oil discovery about 37 miles from Puerto Dos Bocas, along the southern coast of the Gulf of Mexico.

Talos said the well, called Zama-1, is in 546 feet of water and has reached an initial vertical depth of about 11,000 feet. The company estimated the field holds at least 1.4 billion barrels of oil-in-place, and as much as 2 billion. The oil is light, with gravities between 28 and 30 degrees and some associated gas.

Analysts and company executives alike called it an important find."

Houston's Talos Energy makes 'significant' find in Mexico's waters - Houston Chronicle

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Big Gulf Oil Find off Mexico's Coast [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Big Gulf Oil Find off Mexico's Coast [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fairness, presidents really don't have much control over energy prices, especially that of gasoline. Cartelization, refinery capacity and the way the oil markets work set prices in a way that might not actually reflect the true abundance of crude oil. I'm not saying government policies don't affect the cost of energy, because they do. I just don't know to what extent.

I'm also just amazed at how technology is enabling profitable extraction from depths and in locations previously unheard of. Technology always seems to ride to our rescue, for sure. Such as the green revolution in agriculture that kicked off in the late-1930s, as one example.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Because it sure seems like new finds are cropping up all the time.

Exploration investment has been cut back a lot since 2014. 2016 was the lowest in new finds since the 50s. Maybe not what you meant since there's a lot coming from shale, but still quite low.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Gulf Oil Find off Mexico's Coast [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Because it sure seems like new finds are cropping up all the time.

Exploration investment has been cut back a lot since 2014. 2016 was the lowest in new finds since the 50s. Maybe not what you meant since there's a lot coming from shale, but still quite low.

Yes, exploration was down. I think that was mainly because of economics, what with OPEC trying to regain control of the market. But as far as when they do explore, it seems like they're more successfully than they used to using older exploration and extraction techniques.

As far as shale/fracking. It's becoming the case that survivors from that OPEC attempt are now able to compete at a lower price per bbl (for traditional crude) than they were able to in the past. We'll see if that lasts, though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Is there any place that we haven't fucked up yet?

fixed it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet, that buys the world another 2-3 weeks of dependence on oil. Last number I saw a while back showed world consumption at ~100M barrels a day.

Significant find indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are making more oil all the time. And gas reserves measured in the quadrillions of cubic feet.

At $50 +/- and 1.6 trillion+ barrels that is a lot of money left to make. We aren't getting off oil any time soon.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Gulf Oil Find off Mexico's Coast [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Sweet, that buys the world another 2-3 weeks of dependence on oil. Last number I saw a while back showed world consumption at ~100M barrels a day.

Significant find indeed.

According to several sources, at estimated consumption rates the world's oil supply will probably last anywhere from 50 to 53 years, though that number increases as more oil is found and extraction technologies, along with the improvement in shale production, develop. I don't understand the hostility towards fossil fuels (and nuclear power), given that renewable energy won't be capable of covering 100-percent of the world's energy needs (let alone the U.S.'s) for quite awhile, if ever.

How Much Oil Does the World Have Left?

BP’s Latest Estimate Says World’s Oil Will Last 53.3 Years | OilPrice.com

I see more oil being available all the time, not less. Barring some sort of governmental death wish as far as energy goes -- in places such as Australia, which certainly has the energy but whose government policies have created artificial shortages -- I don't see us running out of the substance anytime soon. Nor do I see our reliance on it (mainly because it's so efficient in terms of energy delivered per given amount, when compared to wind and solar) contracting in the near future.

I'm all for EVs, too. I'm considering purchasing a Chevy Bolt later in the fall, even. I like it and I like how the infrastructure is growing to accommodate EVs. But I've read that solar (panels) and EVs (because of their current battery technologies) aren't as green as we'd like. I just like that Bolt, though.

Quote Reply
Re: Big Gulf Oil Find off Mexico's Coast [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Is there any place that we haven't fucked up yet?

fixed it

So I take it you ride a bicycle and/or walk everywhere rather than consuming oil in a vehicle? Probably don't run a furnace either since those use oil.

Am I right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry but finding 2 weeks of oil is hardly significant unless they are being found at a rate faster than every two weeks.

I hope to god I don't live another 53 years (41 now). If not for my body probably not lasting another 20, for the craziness that ensues because we weren't worried about the most important resource in the world running out in 53 years.

53 years. Think about that.

Does it really matter if the human race finds another 40 years worth?
Quote Reply
Re: Big Gulf Oil Find off Mexico's Coast [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I take it you ride a bicycle and/or walk everywhere rather than consuming oil in a vehicle?

Yes.

Quote Reply
Re: Big Gulf Oil Find off Mexico's Coast [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
I'm sorry but finding 2 weeks of oil is hardly significant unless they are being found at a rate faster than every two weeks.

I hope to god I don't live another 53 years (41 now). If not for my body probably not lasting another 20, for the craziness that ensues because we weren't worried about the most important resource in the world running out in 53 years.

I understand part of the thinking (having researched peak oil many years ago, > 10), but the ability to keep finding new hydrocarbon reserves and the coming advancements in alternative energies does not have me even remotely worried. If oil reserves actually start declining (which isn't implausible), the price will start to rise, rationing usage and making alternative energies more attractive. That additional usage of alternative energies (especially solar) will most likely lead to increased economies of scale, which will make it even more competitive on cost. Based on the technologies I've seen, solar may see a big breakthrough in the next 5 years.

Personally, I think the advancements in electric cars may also start to soften the demand for oil. I actually wonder when we'll next see $100 oil, I'm not expecting it soon.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Gulf Oil Find off Mexico's Coast [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r7950 wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

I understand part of the thinking (having researched peak oil many years ago, > 10), but the ability to keep finding new hydrocarbon reserves and the coming advancements in alternative energies does not have me even remotely worried. If oil reserves actually start declining (which isn't implausible), the price will start to rise, rationing usage and making alternative energies more attractive. That additional usage of alternative energies (especially solar) will most likely lead to increased economies of scale, which will make it even more competitive on cost. Based on the technologies I've seen, solar may see a big breakthrough in the next 5 years.

Personally, I think the advancements in electric cars may also start to soften the demand for oil. I actually wonder when we'll next see $100 oil, I'm not expecting it soon.

I would love to see EVs (and wind/solar) become dominant in the market, and I think they will. But not in the near, or probably mid-term, future. It's the economics that underpin them, for the most. Several things to consider:

1. Market share of EVs depends in part of the cost of the lithium batteries currently used but also on the price of oil and the efficiency of competing vehicle types.

2. At present, lithium is relatively abundant and sufficient to meet the needs of batteries as they exist today and in the future (barring a breakthrough in battery technology, which isn't implausible). But what happens if lithium battery production and consumption rises greatly? Will there be enough, and will we tolerate the kind of open-pit mining needed to extract the material? I'm not so sure about that.

3. Current lithium battery cost is approximately $270 per kilowatt hour (kwh). Oil would have to cost about $300 per barrel (bbl) in 2020 dollars (2020 is the year many media sources are predicting that EVs will really take off) to make electric vehicles and gasoline vehicles equally attractive. Tesla founder Elon Musk has targeted battery costs at $100/kwh as the point where government subsidies would no longer be needed to make batteries competitive with gasoline engines. But even at that, oil would have to sell at $90/bbl -- which, again, isn't implausible by any stretch.

4. Despite my admiration for the Bolt (and the earlier Volt, a gasoline/electric vehicle), EVs are finding a tough row to hoe in the unsubsidized, non-government-credit marketplace. Use hybrids as an example. At one point, they enjoyed a $3,500 tax credit, and managed to gain a 3.1% share of the market (or 481,000 vehicles) in 2013. That year, gasoline averaged $3.51/gallon. Because of a surge in oil supply due to fracking successes gasoline has dropped in price to $2.36/gallon on average in 2017 (so far). Hybrids -- which we're using as a predictor of potential market penetration for EVs -- have dropped to 2.1% in terms of market share.

5. EVs are ideally charged at night, when they're not being used. But it's at night that electricity is most likely to be generated by burning coal, especially in the upper Midwest of the US. Given that fact, electric vehicles -- at least around these parts and in much of 'flyover country' -- could account for more carbon dioxide per mile driven than existing cars, at least in the upper Midwest (because coal-fired plants are prevalent there). Even outside that region, EVs will probably be responsible for more CO2 than comparable hybrids in most of the rest of the country. Unfortunately, the total environmental impact of EVs may be just as high as internal combustion engines, when taking a walls-to-wheels approach.

Sources:

1. Electric Cars Are the Future? Not So Fast -- Wall Street Journal (paywall)

2. Covert, T., Greenstone, M. et al. -- Will We Ever Stop Using Fossil Fuels? Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 30, No. 1, Winter 2016 (pp. 117-38)

3. Car Makers Gear Up for Electric Push -- Wall Street Journal (paywall)

Quote Reply